Kevin Rudd or Tony Abbott?

Que Sera Sera

Guest Ptp113
What 'facts" of mine can be disproved by Hansard? I gave my opinion on the attributes of men and women. I also gave my opinion on the quote you took from Sir Les. Please give me the reference for the Hansard entry which you alluded to. People can work in places for many years without knowing or learning very much. A lot depends on intellect.

Agree, yours is somewhat lacking, Gonski might have something for you. And the Hansard reference was related to govt debt and who paid what and when. Nighty nite, you have some reading to do....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it is only fair that Abbott has his go at making a mess of it, after all, Rudd has already had his chance. The Labour party had good reason to stab him in the back but in their dotage they seem to have forgotten why.

Politics is a little more important than giving the others a go. Certain agendas rolled out into policy can be near impossible to put back. Do you think your life may be better under Abbott? Do you know what he stands for? Policies?

Thanks for your views it's fascinating to me. I personally favour Rudd as from what I have seen of Abbott he does make my skin crawl. I really never liked Gillard but she did shoe such grace at what happened to her however that could have been because she had done exactly the same a few years earlier. Thank goodness Uve a few years yet before I have to make up my mind. Thanks for everyone's contributions though. Workers rights, equality and Gay Marriage are high on my list of things I'd like to see happen with obviously the economy being very important. So many issues, I need to get reading !:yes:

There is only so much either political party can do to influence the economy, which is largely impacted by overseas developments. The causes important to you would clearly be better represented by the ALP.

I wouldn't read too much into the Murdoch press if you are seeking a non biased view. The Australian, for example seems to exist purely to critique without let up, in a totally obsessed manner the alleged failings of the ALP.(Labor Party)

I really ought to pay more attention in order to be more informed about politics. I think in general I support labour, are liberals like tories then? So in very basic terms labour are for the poorer folk and liberal are for rich peeps?

Labor are there to tax the successful rich so they help the poor.

Liberals are there to allow the poor to succeed and become rich.

Traditionally the "right" cuts taxes, cuts spending and force people to make their own choices. The economy generally booms.

Then the people get upset that the government are not spending money, vote the "left" in and they spend all the money till the country is broke.

Then the "right" gets back in and cleans up the mess.

So there is a "center" line that most people want, and we zigzag across it.

Rudd is a megalomaniac, Abbot is a religious nutter. Doesn't matter who you vote for. A moron will be in charge.

I personally am on the right. Personal responsibility. Work hard, get rewarded. Anything I want/need, I'm happy to work hard to provide.

In reality, both Aus parties are just to the "right", and both UK parties are just to the "left" (in my opinion).

Your best bet is to take this quiz :-

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Is gives you the full political spectrum.

If you are a Libertarian .. you've basically got no-one to vote for.

I did the quiz and came out as the Dalai Lama.:chatterbox: A lefty-leaning, libertarian. No wonder I don't like Rudd or Abbott.:biglaugh:

Labor are there to tax the successful rich so they help the poor.

Liberals are there to allow the poor to succeed and become rich.

Traditionally the "right" cuts taxes, cuts spending and force people to make their own choices. The economy generally booms.

Then the people get upset that the government are not spending money, vote the "left" in and they spend all the money till the country is broke.

Then the "right" gets back in and cleans up the mess.

So there is a "center" line that most people want, and we zigzag across it.

Rudd is a megalomaniac, Abbot is a religious nutter. Doesn't matter who you vote for. A moron will be in charge.

I personally am on the right. Personal responsibility. Work hard, get rewarded. Anything I want/need, I'm happy to work hard to provide.

In reality, both Aus parties are just to the "right", and both UK parties are just to the "left" (in my opinion).

If you are a Libertarian .. you've basically got no-one to vote for.

I did the quiz and came out as the Dalai Lama.:chatterbox: A lefty-leaning, libertarian. No wonder I don't like Rudd or Abbott.:biglaugh:

So then it's a (forced) vote for who you think will make Aus a better place for you to prosper?

The guy who has already screwed up once, or the guy who hasn't had a go yet?

Better the Devil you know? or Once bitten, twice shy?

Megalomaniac or mad monk.

Great site and great quiz! There's a lot of misunderstanding about "left" and "right" and that site explains it all very well I think.

On Aussie politics, I think having the very short electoral cycle of 3 years is the biggest barrier to long term good policy regardless of who is in power.

Looking from the outside here in the UK, Rudd was PM when Australia had huge growth in its economy and really low unemployment, which makes him look like a superstar of a politician compared to our politicians who nearly bankrupted the UK and saw wages drop by £52 Billion pounds. Abbott is an unknown quantity, so to me it's a no brainer, it would be Rudd all day long.

But Gillard also kept that momentum up during her time in power and got nothing but bad press from day one. She wasn't given a chance by the media, they would never let the Rudd challenge die, even when he wanted it to. The economy has done pretty well, unemployment has stayed low and she still got the boot.

I'm like a few other posters before, Rudd had his chance and he must have been very bad for his party to turn against him like they did. I didn't mind him before he was elected but found his "fair shake of the sauce bottle" comments and other stuff he came out with totally false. Like he was trying to be a working class guy 'cos he's leader of the Labor Party. Labour supporters would have had a lot more time for him if he didn't try and pretend to be something he's not. He's an upper class twit with a multi millionaire wife.

I wouldn't vote for Abbott, doesn't have any policies, survived on being negative about everything that the current government did, don't know what he stands for. I know that the rich usually get richer and poor struggle more when Liberals are in but it's going to be hard to vote for Rudd this time too. Don't trust any of them tbh.

Thanks for your views it's fascinating to me. I personally favour Rudd as from what I have seen of Abbott he does make my skin crawl. I really never liked Gillard but she did shoe such grace at what happened to her however that could have been because she had done exactly the same a few years earlier. Thank goodness Uve a few years yet before I have to make up my mind. Thanks for everyone's contributions though. Workers rights, equality and Gay Marriage are high on my list of things I'd like to see happen with obviously the economy being very important. So many issues, I need to get reading !:yes:

Workers rights, equality and gay marriage are talked about a lot but I think the biggie is immigration and border protection. The others are just give lip service, but if Rudd thinks he can get a few gay votes he would be up for supporting gay marriage.

I really ought to pay more attention in order to be more informed about politics. I think in general I support labour, are liberals like tories then? So in very basic terms labour are for the poorer folk and liberal are for rich peeps?

That about sums it up!!:cool:

Politics is a little more important than giving the others a go. Certain agendas rolled out into policy can be near impossible to put back. Do you think your life may be better under Abbott? Do you know what he stands for? Policies?

I know it should be but unfortunately I think it boils down to exactly, time to give someone else a go. Look at the UK, couldn't wait to get rid of labour, looked like they would be gone for years after their record and the GFC. A few years down the track and people are saying how bad the current government is and it looks like Labour's "turn" next.

People certainly have short memories.

I'm not having a go at the UK btw, just it's the only place I can relate to where they got rid of one lot as things were really bad, a lot worse than they will be here come the election and they are already talking about they ones that came in getting a thrashing at the next election.

There was once a band called 'Pop will eat itself' and I can't help feeling that politics has eaten itself too. They are all so wrapped-up in the 24/7 news cycle, spinning this and that, polling continuously that they have forgotten that we want them to BELIEVE in something, and have VALUES. I also wonder how many good politicians there are out there who we never see or never hear speak 'cos they don't tow the party line.

I don't think Rudd has changed at all and won't be voting for him this time. I think he is interested in himself only - not the country.Whether Abbott will be any better I really don't know but I think we need to leave the Labor party in opposition for a while so they can sort all their many differences out and stop squabbling amongst themselves.

I know it should be but unfortunately I think it boils down to exactly, time to give someone else a go. Look at the UK, couldn't wait to get rid of labour, looked like they would be gone for years after their record and the GFC. A few years down the track and people are saying how bad the current government is and it looks like Labour's "turn" next.

People certainly have short memories.

I'm not having a go at the UK btw, just it's the only place I can relate to where they got rid of one lot as things were really bad, a lot worse than they will be here come the election and they are already talking about they ones that came in getting a thrashing at the next election.

It's a hard one. There's always Palmer, for the desperate. Neither he nor Abbott would suit me. I get a sense folk are being treated increasingly like commodities. Life is far more than pure economics , as important as it may be.

The Coalition to win the election - then maybe Shorten as ALP leader.

Would prefer to see Turnbull as leader of the Libs, but am also comfortable with Abbott as PM. Let's see whether he is as aggressive a PM as so many claim he will be.

Best regards.

I think he'll stay on. They'll get in next time, it will be their turn again. Who would step up if he quits? Can't see anyone else who would be any better unfortunately.

It may well depend on the result. A severe thumping in the polls with the prospect of a decade or more out in the wilderness could see Rudd moving on. As for who would take his place, M Wong, appears very ambitious. Whether the ALP would chance another woman, so soon after Gillard, being off Asian decent though is highly unlikely.

Regardless of the Political Figureheads (a flunky line up it is too on all sides) its looking rather like a dose of conservatism is in order to sort out the books in the coming years :-)

The Coalition to win the election - then maybe Shorten as ALP leader.

Would prefer to see Turnbull as leader of the Libs, but am also comfortable with Abbott as PM. Let's see whether he is as aggressive a PM as so many claim he will be.

Best regards.

I think he'll aggressively take us back a couple of decades!

Archived