Snakes Problem in Perth

Tasneem Jalali

I have heard from many people that there are alot of snakes in Perth & it is not easy to live there with family, some people told that they have encountered snakes several times, is this true? there is really a problem of snakes in Perth or it is just rumour? if it is true then what are your experiences? These snakes enter in homes or not? I am very scared, please help!

I think someone has been telling you porkies. There are snakes all over Australia, more often than not you will never have a close encounter with one. It is wise to be aware whats out there , Google gives you a good guide to which are harmless,where they are likely to be found etc etc. You can also look at the statistics for snake bite injuries and deaths, they are very low.

Try not to worry

Cal x

There's a lot of development in parts of Perth and when the land is excavated it sometimes disturbs some of the wildlife and brings things a little closer. I've been here 6.5 years and not seen them in my little part of suburbia. My hubby has although his job often takes him into bushland

Guest Guest26012

Been here nearly six years and have seen two live ones and a dead one. One of the live ones was wrapped around my neck at a show lol!

Never been to Perth, but I think the people above are sightly under estimating it. Think it depends on the suburb, this part of Melbourne has snakes. We have snakes in the Garden every year, last year had the snake catcher out to the house 4 times. They never come inside tho, u just gotta be careful one day you might go out side and find a sleepy snake having a rest on your woodern steps, or in the bird feeder, or down on the deck by the pool :)

Guest scrumpy

WOW, what sort of show do you do?? ;)

Been here nearly six years and have seen two live ones and a dead one. One of the live ones was wrapped around my neck at a show lol!

Guest Guest26012
WOW, what sort of show do you do?? ;)

Lol! It was a fete at Yanchep and the snake man was there lol!

Never been to Perth, but I think the people above are sightly under estimating it. Think it depends on the suburb, this part of Melbourne has snakes. We have snakes in the Garden every year, last year had the snake catcher out to the house 4 times. They never come inside tho, u just gotta be careful one day you might go out side and find a sleepy snake having a rest on your woodern steps, or in the bird feeder, or down on the deck by the pool :)

So you've never been to Perth but those ofus that have lived here for years are under "estmating" it? Eh?

It depends where you live. I dont live in the city and am semi rural so we do see them. Mainly dugites and the odd tiger snake. Had one having a swim in the pool a couple of years ago. But, normally as soon as they see a person they scarper. There are a couple of areas south of mandurah that have large numbers

Last one I saw here was years ago and never saw one in Perth when I was over there. Saw one in UK when we were over on holiday, nearly stepped on adder in Northumberland. They do not like us so they scarper I believe.

We've been here since August 2012, only seen one and that was up at Two Rocks (further north of the cbd). Lived in Melbourne for a year, didn't see one, but when we lived in Queensland saw quite a few. Like others have said they soon slither off when they see you!

Why does everyone worry about the snakes, venomous spiders, sharks, deadly jellyfish, super painfull molluscs, scorpions etc etc etc? I 've been here 6yrs and the snakes are no worries at all... Its the really dangerous and well kept secret of the Drop Bears and the Bunyip that we should be warning ALL the pommie immigrants of! If this gets out, no one will ever come here.....:wink:

I think someone is winding you up mate. We've been here for 21 years and have seen a few. Most are dugites and are venomous, but they are few and far between. Seen most in Rottnest Island where they get out on the road in the early morning to warm up. If you give them a wide berth on the bike they won't bother you.

Also seen a couple at the beach but they were near the sand dunes, another good reason to keep out of them, even though a lot of kids seem to love running around in the dunes. Don't know anyone who's been bitten by a snake.

Archived