I Think I Might Have Had Enough

abitlostreally

I moved to Sydney from the UK, alone, about a year ago to work in the field of higher education. It did seem a good idea at the time (grass is greener?) and I enjoyed it by myself for a while. However, I've become increasingly homesick and I don't really know anyone. I lecture to university students and the difference with what I had to deal with back home is quite striking. I don't really have the most experience in the world when it comes to my field or lecturing, and there's not really anyone I can discuss things with comfortably.

I have found having no real friends or a support network to be hard. I have a 'reasonable' sense of humour and try and be friendly and approachable, but there's something very different about this city compared to what I have known. As much as I'd rather not, I don't see any way of continuing to live in Australia. After seeing all the sites by myself, weekends are not much to look forward to, other than a break from a stressful job!

The pay is all I could ask for and I like the weather and beaches that I have seen, but I'm quite lonely and it doesn't feel to me like I can be here much longer. Given this, I am thinking a lot of moving home. The thing that puts me off is that I know exactly what I'm going back to after any elation has worn off. I'm really stuck and would appreciate any advice. Thank you :-)

All i'd say is go where your heart tells you to go,im not arsed about "giving it two years" or youre a failure,i'll know sooner than that,and i'll act on it,one way or the other,lifes about you being happy,do what you want to do,go with your "feelings",thats what i'd do anyway fwiw,good luck either way

Ive been here almost 7 years and have eventually talked hubby into taking a holiday back to the UK. He has never missed anything about our old life, where as i had 'the wobbles' in my first year here and although id never want to move back to the UK (i do enjoy our life here lots) ,Im coming up to my 40th birthday and i do feel i need a Uk 'Fix', more to see my family than the country itself but also to show the children, where they lived, old schools and who their relatives are etc etc..

Cal x

We thought the kids might be interested in that too. The house where one of them lived for a couple of years, the village where we used to live, the walks we used to take him. He wasn't bothered one bit. Nostalgia for us though.

They were more interested in a trip to Old Trafford, surprisingly good that was.

Ive been here almost 7 years and have eventually talked hubby into taking a holiday back to the UK. He has never missed anything about our old life, where as i had 'the wobbles' in my first year here and although id never want to move back to the UK (i do enjoy our life here lots) ,Im coming up to my 40th birthday and i do feel i need a Uk 'Fix', more to see my family than the country itself but also to show the children, where they lived, old schools and who their relatives are etc etc..

Cal x

I hear you loud and clear. We ( myself, hubby and 2 daughters) have lived here for also nearly 7 years and are busy planning our way back to UK. Not made many friends in that time. I think that is the hardest part, trying to fit in. We can't wait to return. I went back alone a few months ago and seriously didn't want to get back on the plane. Would love to be back by Xmas but still have a house and lots of stuff to sell. Busy and exciting times ahead! I also have my BIG birthday coming up soon and would nothing more than to spend it with family and old friends. Good luck to you and everyone else trying to settle here or back home.

Guest guest22466
I moved to Sydney from the UK, alone, about a year ago to work in the field of higher education. It did seem a good idea at the time (grass is greener?) and I enjoyed it by myself for a while. However, I've become increasingly homesick and I don't really know anyone. I lecture to university students and the difference with what I had to deal with back home is quite striking. I don't really have the most experience in the world when it comes to my field or lecturing, and there's not really anyone I can discuss things with comfortably.

I have found having no real friends or a support network to be hard. I have a 'reasonable' sense of humour and try and be friendly and approachable, but there's something very different about this city compared to what I have known. As much as I'd rather not, I don't see any way of continuing to live in Australia. After seeing all the sites by myself, weekends are not much to look forward to, other than a break from a stressful job!

The pay is all I could ask for and I like the weather and beaches that I have seen, but I'm quite lonely and it doesn't feel to me like I can be here much longer. Given this, I am thinking a lot of moving home. The thing that puts me off is that I know exactly what I'm going back to after any elation has worn off. I'm really stuck and would appreciate any advice. Thank you :-)

I hear you and it is going to take some time and hard work on your part to go out and be more social and try to make some new friends. Join some social Sydney clubs and if your looking for a partner get on the dating sites. What you have to remember is the friends you have in the UK have grown over years and years and you have more in common with them and you have chosen them as your friends over the years. Once you have tried the social thing and it might be hard work but you will have tried your best. If you get friends and feel that's what you needed to settle then great but if not you tried and that's all you could do. I would return home seeing it as a great adventure and enjoy your return back to the UK nothing ventured nothing gained :-) All the best.

Archived