I am going hubby staying

hubbert0403

...an extra pop up screen will ask you how long you have worked in the building industry for before you can proceed. .

It is too easy and a bit smart for the people with a job already or connections to help them along to say its easy but coming to live in another country without the knowledge and connections can be hard for some and not their fault :-)

Too right. Or people who got their foot in the door 10 years ago assuming that's it's the same now as it was then.

And going back to the point above, the reason they have these questions is just to screen out 90% of the applicants. They don't really need the relevant experience, but they have to reduce 100 applicant to 10 somehow. Obviously they might be excluding some great candidates, but it's the easiest (and least controversial) way to get the numbers down.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australia has changed over the years when I was here in my 20's jobs were easier to get, yes I was offered many. However there are not as many job vacancies and so now more competition. I have noticed when applying for jobs if say for example the vacancy was for an Administration Assistant for a building company they want you to have worked in that industry and an extra pop up screen will ask you how long you have worked in the building industry for before you can proceed. Now I understand why they want this but what I am trying to explain is in the UK I had worked in many areas banks, brewery , credit companies , car leasing and never had a problem moving to another area of Admin. So the change I have seen is the lack of vacancies which means more applicants to which the company can choose to pick out...great for them not so much joy for the applicant. I do not have one friend in the UK who does not have a job and one was a waitress and got a job with an insurance company and doing really well for herself. I would say it is more a case of not what you know but who you know and most jobs are not even advertised, I have seen a full family of triplets working at Big w

lol. Many work for family and friends too.....bit of a shortage if you migrate....

I paid for a professional resume and she did a great job she was ex HR but still I have too applied for so many jobs with no response. I have written cover letters to relate to the job vacancy and amended resume to suit the vacancy.

It is too easy and a bit smart for the people with a job already or connections to help them along to say its easy but coming to live in another country without the knowledge and connections can be hard for some and not their fault :-)

It's certainly not easy in oz. My manager told me that nearly 200 applied for my role when it was advertised and they had to use any means necessary to weed some applicants out. Luckily he's from the UK so more likely to like my experience, so has given me a foot in the door!

We recently advertised for an admin assistant and again several hundred applications were received although a lot weren't at all suitable (just people probably clicking apply on seek)

Guest guest22466
It's certainly not easy in oz. My manager told me that nearly 200 applied for my role when it was advertised and they had to use any means necessary to weed some applicants out. Luckily he's from the UK so more likely to like my experience, so has given me a foot in the door!

We recently advertised for an admin assistant and again several hundred applications were received although a lot weren't at all suitable (just people probably clicking apply on seek)

Luckily he's from the UK , funny you should say that I applied for a job for a printing company for Admin which went through an employment agency and the guy there was english and he put me forward for the job after our telephone interview but when I got to the Australian family owned company and three interviews later the company said we had too many applicants who had worked in the printing industry sorry....they said we really liked you .....they had a huge file with all the resumes in so I knew they were telling the truth .

You have to bare in mind these days what you have experience in and in what INDUSTRY and where those jobs will be before you get to Australia also do your UK trade certificates stand up in Australia or do you have to do the Australia certificates which will cost you, as its not that easy these days, dont want to frighten people but just do your homework if you can before you get here.

I am so sorry for you - your situation is similar to mine. I left my hubby & kids in Brisbane to do some work in UK. Not planned, but my skills are in demand here and for my self esteem I needed to work (and to be honest we needed the money!) like you I am too qualified/experienced/expensive/old/female/ delete as appropriate. The knock backs get to you - I've always worked, will try my hand at almost anything, and don't need to earn much to supplement hubbies income. I find people advising me to tailor CV/covering letter a bit tiresome tbh - agencies compliment me on quality of my applications, and I'm willing to bet yours are top notch too. My UK stint has renewed my confidence, given me some £ to top up reserves, and the best part is that I have impressed my boss so much she wants to give me some remote work, so I can return to Oz to be with my family! Remember, a trip back doesn't have to be forever, use it as an opportunity to regroup, and lets hope things improve in Oz soon - although I fear that discrimination against more mature workers, and the 'who you know' selection process isn't going to go away in a hurry . Good luck!

Hi I moved back a year ago today, same visa I did 2 years my husband stayed for extra 3 months would have been longer if he wasn't offered a job in the Middle East! Same situation really, you always have in the back of your mind

what happens if he doesn't return! The longer you stay the harder it is to leave! You have do what's best for you, ppl say money isn't everything but you can't live on fresh air! Hope it goes well

Archived