Anyone have an Aussie style cv template that is proven to get job!!

CML1410

Hello,

I was advised in UK and elsewhere to stick to a 2 pager CV (3 pages with projects, publications etc), unless otherwise requested by recruiter/employer. Typically the exception is an online form.

Main reasons are:

- easy and quick to scan through

- when screening, recruiters will not spend more than 30 sec on it as an average

- there other means to provide additional specific info, without a xl cv

Would in be the same in OZ?

Thanks

The '30 second rule' is spot on. That's about the length of time a HR Manager or internal recuiter will give your Resume before deciding on the 'yes', 'maybe' or 'no' pile. In the UK I was obsessed with keeping my CV to 2 pages. Things are more relaxed in Oz; 3 pages are fine. It's the content, particularly of the first page, that is absolutely crucial.

Content, content, content...... Quality, Relevant and Brief.

Many recuiters will often just run a keyword search and not even read much of the Resume. So keywords are also vital to get past those screening hurdles.

I might also add that there are a few different recognised formats for Resumes, depending on the relevancy and quality of your background. One shoe does not always fit in this game I'm afraid. It's about using the format that best hgihlights your relevant skills/experience and sells you for the role.

Hi there

Having only emigrated as as family to Australia just over 2 years ago, our 21 year old son is still looking for a trade apprenticeship in South Australia. He was still in full time education in the UK when we left, and has been at TAFE on various trade Cert 2s since we arrived, as he has applied to at least 70 employers and got nothing. Rather than doss around at home, he went back to TAFE.

One employer even wanted him to work for him for nothing for at least 6 months to prove he was suitable for an apprenticeship. When my son politely refused, the guy raged at him that "just like the young ones of today-you do not want to work!! "

With little or no employment to speak of, how does one tailor a resume to fit this situation? He did some vacation work and was a volunteer with the Red Cross at a hospital for several years but how does that fit in with apprentice applications?

After getting nowhere job hunting I was paranoid that my aussie style CV might have been a hindrance rather than helping. So I asked a couple of friends who are recruitment consultants here but in other parts of the country to me which was better, my English version or Aussie version. They both said the aussie one without a doubt. I was applying for plenty of jobs but must admit they were not really suitable to my recent experience. Sadly nothing that was suitable was coming up.

However, I'm pleased to say all that has changed this week. I have started a temp job and have five interviews, one is a second interview and one has already asked my old boss for a reference. It is typical that after only one interview in five weeks I am now going to have to prioritise a couple and cancel the rest as I don't want to endanger the temp job which has promised me a minimum of eight weeks and could even go permanent.

In short, my aussie style CV seemed to be OK after all.

Archived