Australia number one choice for Brits.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why not just do a month then SE asia where money will go further. Or Europe?

Asias definitely a possibility but i dont fancy going there alone. None of my friends are interested in backpacking and things like that. Plus i'd quite like to go somewhere for a year rather than just a month or two

Asias definitely a possibility but i dont fancy going there alone. None of my friends are interested in backpacking and things like that. Plus i'd quite like to go somewhere for a year rather than just a month or two

I'm sure you'll get to go, its just better that you are prepared. If you beleive some of the rubbish you read you will be in for a shock. Forewarned is forearmed. The financial prerequisite for WHV is there for a reason. To be stuck on the other side of the world with no money is no fun.

I'm sure you'll get to go, its just better that you are prepared. If you beleive some of the rubbish you read you will be in for a shock. Forewarned is forearmed. The financial prerequisite for WHV is there for a reason. To be stuck on the other side of the world with no money is no fun.

Yeah obviously im not going to put my rose tinted glasses on and think im going to have a job waiting on me off the plane. Its just ive had terrible luck with jobs here most of the time so it puts me off going anywhere else incase its me rather than the economy! I've wanted to do the whv thing for quite a long time but never got the chance to do it for one reason or another.

Ps - sorry hoff for taking the thread off track, well its still australia related i suppose lol

Yeah obviously im not going to put my rose tinted glasses on and think im going to have a job waiting on me off the plane. Its just ive had terrible luck with jobs here most of the time so it puts me off going anywhere else incase its me rather than the economy! I've wanted to do the whv thing for quite a long time but never got the chance to do it for one reason or another.

Ps - sorry hoff for taking the thread off track, well its still australia related i suppose lol

Yes you seem like a bright girl but unfortunatly some people read the posts saying how Australia is the land of milk and honey only to have their dreams shattered and that's unfortunate.

Yes you seem like a bright girl but unfortunatly some people read the posts saying how Australia is the land of milk and honey only to have their dreams shattered and that's unfortunate.

When i first came on here i had rose tinted glasses but ive been around long enough now to get rid of them, i read the MBTTUK section aswell. I dont have the same urge to move permanently anymore, i dont know if its because when i came on here i was supposed to be going with someone else but now its just me. Still really want to do all the backpacker type stuff though! I looked at holidays but i'd be paying just as much to go a few weeks as what i would need to start me off on a whv

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Can I ask who she is working for Fi. Both my sons work one is on $11 (16yr old) and one on $13, the eldest is 19yrs old so not so young. I think its crap money especially when you are trying to run a car as well. It may sound a lot compared to the UK but when you are living here its nothing.

This is the wage for youngsters here in the UK if you double it, it still falls short of what your lads are on. I think both are poor TBH but wages are stagnating here in the UK and it looks a bit better in Australia for young people, but again not that great.

Year .....21 and over...18 to 20 ...Under 18 .....Apprentice*

2013 ......£6.31 .........£5.03......... £3.72........ £2.68

When i first came on here i had rose tinted glasses but ive been around long enough now to get rid of them, i read the MBTTUK section aswell. I dont have the same urge to move permanently anymore, i dont know if its because when i came on here i was supposed to be going with someone else but now its just me. Still really want to do all the backpacker type stuff though! I looked at holidays but i'd be paying just as much to go a few weeks as what i would need to start me off on a whv

You would be mad to let what people say on a forum influence you when it comes to real life as you need to find out for yourself, real life is not on a forum but actually doing it and then making a decision based on that. Forums are good but with so many biased views you can be swayed by the people you get on with and take their views as that's the way it is when it is only their view.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for putting me off doing it even more lol jk. Maybe i'll just do a year in canada instead.

Stacey it depends where you are heading. You can easily get accommodation and food even if no wage. Or you go independent and then get your own job and pay for accommodation. Just please don't expect wages over $20 per hour, yes you may get one but don't come thinking its the norm.

Guest The Pom Queen

Well come to Aus and then you and I can head over to Asia for a few months lol.

Guest The Pom Queen

No its still the land of milk and honey but the milk costs $8 a litre and the honey $100 per jar.... Joking of course

Stacey it depends where you are heading. You can easily get accommodation and food even if no wage. Or you go independent and then get your own job and pay for accommodation. Just please don't expect wages over $20 per hour, yes you may get one but don't come thinking its the norm.

I had a look at that helpx website where you work for your food and accommodation, think some of them even go towards your 2nd visa. Even considered it as a type of holiday, to make my money go longer for a few weeks

Guest The Pom Queen
I had a look at that helpx website where you work for your food and accommodation, think some of them even go towards your 2nd visa. Even considered it as a type of holiday, to make my money go longer for a few weeks

That is exactly what I would do, a lot on helpx only want a few hours work each day so you could still do bar work etc in the evening depending on where you are. I would do it Stacey you are young and single and have plenty of support on here if you get stuck along the way.

Hi PQ,

its not a national company, just a cafe in the CBD where they are training her up as a good ol barista!! I know it wouldn't have been her first choice of employment but we moved here when she had only been left school a few weeks so no work experience at all and because we came at first on a 457, couldn't afford international FE fees.

now we are pr, she can and prob will move onto something else, although we've said it might be worthwhile staying a bit longer for more experience. Experienced baristas here can always find work and are well paid, so its a good thing for her to have under her belt.

$20+ is the normal wage for all her mates too.

she has a great life, was able to pay for her own flights and go back to the UK for 5 weeks in June, going to Bali in October. Has bought a jet ski, quad bike and other toys aswell as having enough new clothes and shoes to keep a small country going. She is now saving to do a bit of back packing after Xmas. Oz has opened her eyes to a whole new world.

her elder sister has also done well. She should have been going to uni in the UK but came with us with a try it and see attitude. She has managed to land a job in financial/planning that is normally only given to uni grads. 19 yo and driving about in a 6ltr company car.

by what I've seen there are a lot of crap companies to work for in Perth, those are the ones I get:eek: for sure, but its been nice that the girls have both found work they like and are being looked after.

never been to Cairns PQ, but yeh those wages do seem a bit low, but are wages lower anyway compared to other places?

seriously? I know tradies on the same money as what your daughter gets.think its time to sell the tools and become a barista lol.

seriously? I know tradies on the same money as what your daughter gets.think its time to sell the tools and become a barista lol.

You know tradies who only make $36k approx? ($20 * 150hr/pm * 12 months) Maybe it is time for them to sell their tools..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You know tradies who only make $36k approx? ($20 * 150hr/pm * 12 months) Maybe it is time for them to sell their tools..

I thought Tradies were on about $30 per hour?

Exactly! but lets not put off the dreamers.

Wow... I paid $287 to have my drains unblocked this week - took the guy 30 mins. The plumber and the electrician both want $140+ to walk through the door... I guess they're living the dream around here.

Archived