this weeks episode of " top gear "

bunbury61

Land Rover and quality shouldn't be mentioned on the same day let alone sentence! I'm looking at one as I type, in the workshop as usual (garage queen).

Really? I have two defenders on site in Africa. They get zero servicing, are getting on in years and operate in damned harsh conditions and never let us down. Ever. I wonder how many holdens or fords would? Oz can't make a car i would trust to go over a curb, let alone take off road.

Guest Ptp113
Really? I have two defenders on site in Africa. They get zero servicing, are getting on in years and operate in damned harsh conditions and never let us down. Ever. I wonder how many holdens or fords would? Oz can't make a car i would trust to go over a curb, let alone take off road.

The pom rubbish that comes into this workshop beggars belief. We also have taxis (mainly Falcon) with million kms or more. Diff is the weak point, but change oil and they last forever. Still even Toyota have gone backwards in recent times. All vehicles have designed in problems, you just need to be aware and work around them. Steer well clear of pom stuff and Euro in general and you'll do we'll.

I agree with Toyota - the old 7 series and basic as hell are great. The rest very poor. But, as said, the best two cars I have had as site cars - and all site cars get punished are land rover defenders. Not fast, not comfy, no nice things in them. But they just keep going.

This video puts Aus to shame! Britain has more manufacturing going on than us!

manufacturing is handy to keep people in jobs, thing is though, we confuse assembly with manufacturing.

most of the cars mentioned are assembled in the UK, or indeed Australia, the parts however are shipped in.

not sure about Australia, but as i understand it the major Japanese auto makers UK assembly plants were forced by the then UK government to try to stem the influx of cars that were more reliable than the home grown ones (they'd start on a cold day)

didn't work so good lol

it'll be interesting to see the inroads electric cars can make now the batteries are up to scratch. the eden project are running a converted discovery, pulling a 6ton trailer all day every day. the best selling premium sedan in the US at the moment is an all electric vehicle. they have next to no moving parts so they are hugely reliable, and they over accelerate and handle better than any 'normal' car.

i think the next 10 years hold a seismic shift in what the masses all drive. I wonder if Australia or the UK can be instrumental in it?

Guest Ptp113
The penny will e eventually drop in australia

It did. Eurocrap makes us mucho money. Nice engineering......NOT!

Archived