Contributory aged parent visa

lazjo

Reading all the threads as answers or otherwise to my earlier post:

1. will there be a medical around the time of granting of PR

2. can parents work while on bridging visa?

Now I have recd very conflicting responses and am more confused than ever before.

also i think this was all in response to CONTRIBUTORY aged parent visa. Actually I meant it

the non-contributory visa hence the wait of 10-15 years? so will my parents be able to work on a Bridging visa while waiting those long years for their PR to come through? Pls dont confuse me again. and they will go to aus on a briding visa not a tourist visa.

cos if they are not allowed to work life would be unbearable!! what does one do for 10 years? and what will one do AFTER 10 years???

Now I have recd very conflicting responses and am more confused than ever before.

also i think this was all in response to CONTRIBUTORY aged parent visa. Actually I meant it

the non-contributory visa hence the wait of 10-15 years? so will my parents be able to work on a Bridging visa while waiting those long years for their PR to come through? Pls dont confuse me again. and they will go to aus on a briding visa not a tourist visa.

cos if they are not allowed to work life would be unbearable!! what does one do for 10 years? and what will one do AFTER 10 years???

If your parents definitely need to work while waiting the 10-15 years for their visa, then why don't they wait for it to be issued in their home country? They can do what they like then...

Rules were changed recently and as I understand people on a bridging visa to a parent visa or a partner visa can get working rights now.

Still I am tempted to think that if it is imperative that they work and are in employment now, that it might be better to wait for the visa off shore at least until retirement. Seeking work as a more mature worker with only a bridging visa, might not be terribly easy in practice.

Your parents can't go to Australia on a bridging visa. A bridging visa "bridges" from one visa type to another, keeping you legal (and in this case granting full work rights) after your current visa expires and before the next is granted. If your parents get onshore legally on another visa type, they could then apply for the Parent Visa onshore and once their original visa expires, they'd be on a Bridging Visa A, which allows full work rights. However, as Rupert cogently pointed out, being legally able to work and finding work on a bridging visa are different things entirely.

Err... maybe enjoy their retirement and twilight years surrounded by their beloved children and grandchildren..? Which I imagine is what this visa was designed for. :nah:

I haven't worked for four years Lazjo and find it far from unbearable! I mean paid work of course. It has meant a chance at last to do the things I always wanted to do - in my case writing fiction after years of academia. Plus learning a fourth language. Plus long distance walking. Plus learning to cook properly. Plus camping. Have I left anything out? Oh yes, plus travelling to Australia to visit our daughter ... which leads to exploring the far east ...

Of course if one was eventually driven to paying for a contributory parent visa, I dare say one would want to work too - given the way the costs are rising one would be arriving in Australia with nothing but the clothes one stood up in. :laugh:

Archived