Agate Creek Fossicking

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I am sure that many of you are thinking what on earth is agate. Well I have to say it is now one of my favourite rocks.

Here are some examples:

agate-H.jpg

blue-agate-crystal-stone-4534605.jpg

best_fire_agate.jpg

NeedlePeakFlower.JPG

Unfortunately all the above are stock photos. We still have to go through ours to see what we have got. From the outside most of these just look like an ordinary rock, its not until you cut them in half you see the true beauty. Each piece is unique.

Agate Creek, south of Forsayth, is world-renowned for agates of superb colours and patterns.

Access

The fossicking area is about 70km south of Forsayth by a gravel road, which is suitable for conventional vehicles, but may be impassable in the wet season (see map). From the township, head south-west towards Gilberton and at 11km turn right for a further 15km to the North Head turn-off. Turn left and continue south to the Robertson River. The crossing is about 100m wide in soft sand. The Cave Creek crossing also requires care. After passing the entrance sign to the fossicking area, turn left after crossing Agate Creek.

Map

Agate Creek fossicking area (PDF, 242.8KB)

Facilities

Camping is not permitted in the fossicking area but the landholder, David Terry, allows camping nearby, adjacent to Agate Creek outside the fossicking area. Camping is not permitted elsewhere on Robin Hood station or adjoining properties. A range of accommodation options is available in Forsayth.

The creeks in the area are usually dry but water may be found in Black Rock Waterhole and Banyan Spring.

Fossicking notes

The fossicking localities occur in the basin-shaped area of Agate Pocket, which is underlain by rocks of the Agate Creek Volcanic Group, a remnant of a volcanic sequence of early Permian age. This was deposited on a basement of granitic rocks of the Robin Hood Granodiorite. Three formations are recognized: the Big Surprise Tuff, Black Soil Andesite and Thunder Egg Rhyolite. Intrusive bodies of much the same age have penetrated the volcanics, including rhyolite and the Connie May Dolerite. In later Jurassic times, the volcanics were covered by sandstones and conglomerates of the Hampstead Sandstone; these have since been stripped off and now remain only as hill cappings on the south-western escarpment bordering the pocket and at the head of Spring and Agate creeks.

Agate occurs as amygdales (filled gas bubbles) in the upper parts of basaltic andesite lava flows (Black Soil Andesite) and thunder eggs occur as spherulites in rhyolitic lava (Thunder Egg Rhyolite) which forms the north-eastern rim of the pocket.

Agates occur as nodules (solid agate) or as geodes, roughly ellipsoidal or rounded in shape in various sizes but averaging about 50mm. The agate is often multi-coloured and usually banded in straight, curved or irregular patterns. The thunder eggs in the rhyolite may contain infillings of red-brown jasper.

Black Soil Creek, Crystal Hill, Bald Hill, Simpsons, Blue Hills and Flanagans are the main areas of interest (see map). Agates can be separated from the decomposed lavas by hand digging.

Because the agate is hard and resists weathering, searching down-slope colluvial deposits may also be productive as agates are released and transported from the host lavas. The alluvium of black soil and gravel of present day drainages is also worth attention, especially after the wet season.

Special conditions

Two mining claims (MC 30027 and MC 30028) within the area are excluded from the declared fossicking area (see map); these must not be entered without the permission of the holders. Miners Homestead Lease MH 1551 is also excluded from the fossicking area.

By the time we got back down that terrible track from Cobbold we only had around 3 hours there and the little one didn't want to dig so went with what was on the surface apart from the black soil area where he used the sieve.

agate-H.jpg

blue-agate-crystal-stone-4534605.jpg

best_fire_agate.jpg

NeedlePeakFlower.JPG

Guest The Pom Queen
Who's the little bear? :P

Thats Ted he is a FNQ Regiment Teddy, the photos were going to feature Teds trips but in the end little one got embarrassed of carrying him for photos lol

Guest The Pom Queen
Heard a beaut young bloke say that the agates he collected on the Duncan Rd, WA are better than those he collected at Agate Creek...secret.gif

But that's our secret, hey?

Cheers, Bobj.

I heard a little voice saying the same.

Plenty of good, if out-of-the-way places to fossick, not only in Qld, but all over this magnificent country. Almost everything to suit all tastes, from agates to opals to zircons, they can be found in Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

If any of you head up to northern WA, let me know and I can get you directions to a huge Amethyst area. It is on a mining lease (Telfer) but, the GM is usually ok with people going to it and there is a cave nearby with great paintings. Last time I was there I got a 50cm egg shaped purple amethyst in about half an hour of kicking rocks.

If any of you head up to northern WA, let me know and I can get you directions to a huge Amethyst area. It is on a mining lease (Telfer) but, the GM is usually ok with people going to it and there is a cave nearby with great paintings. Last time I was there I got a 50cm egg shaped purple amethyst in about half an hour of kicking rocks.

Aah, the native paintings...Found lots of them north of Kununurra, in the overhangs of some of the sandstone cliffs, out from the farms.

The Antrim Plateau of the East Kimberley and western Northern Territory regions are very good for amethysts, quartz crystals and agates; some are found actually on the shoulders of the Duncan Road.

Fossils of fish scales, bones, sea shells, etc can be found north of Richmond, central Qld. Indeed, I found a mussel shell that is 27 cm long. 100 million year old stuff.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob, if you like fossils, then next time you are over west, let me know as actually lots of Perth is great for fossils - the best places are the limestone quarries, which won't let you in as a member of the public, but, if your accompanied by a geo, they normally will.

If you are off somewhere and wondering if it is going to be any good, give me a shout and I can check the geological maps and let you know what is likely to be there.

Bob, if you like fossils, then next time you are over west, let me know as actually lots of Perth is great for fossils - the best places are the limestone quarries, which won't let you in as a member of the public, but, if your accompanied by a geo, they normally will.

If you are off somewhere and wondering if it is going to be any good, give me a shout and I can check the geological maps and let you know what is likely to be there.

thumbs.gif

Most of our trips west are barra fishing in the Keep River, NT and fossicking in the Harts Ranges around the old mica mines for garnets etc.

But thanks for the generous offer.

Might look at a last trip to the Broken Hill Region. Was last there 43 years ago.

Cheers, Bobj.

No worries Bob. If you are going to Broken Hill let me know when you have dates and I will see if a mate of mine is free to meet up with you as he knows the area like the back of his hand - Ian Plimer. He is Mr Broken Hill and has had a Broken Hill mineral named after him. He loves an excuse to get out and kick rocks for a day and is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

Guest The Pom Queen

That's lovely of you VS, just please don't let my son read it, he has enough

Plenty of good, if out-of-the-way places to fossick, not only in Qld, but all over this magnificent country. Almost everything to suit all tastes, from agates to opals to zircons, they can be found in Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

Are there places were you can learn what to look for? I know my son will love this and would come home well loaded up with stuff, daughter does not believe you can find gold and things just lying around.

Thanks

Nigel

Are there places were you can learn what to look for? I know my son will love this and would come home well loaded up with stuff, daughter does not believe you can find gold and things just lying around.

Thanks

Nigel

I have a young mate who is extremely keen on finding minerals and he has joined a mineral club, but I understand that some of the members seem to begrudge the fact that he is young and wants to learn.

On the other hand, he is a delight to be with when fossicking and is always calling out, "is this an agate?" etc...

Really good to know that some youngsters want to learn.thumbs.gif

There are several good 'fact sheets' on the internet as to where to look for the minerals one wants in their collection. eg, The Mud Tank for zircons, magnetite and apatite.

http://www.nt.gov.au/d/fossicking/index.cfm?pg=2-5

Gold is still being found, but the metal detector is a very necessary tool to locate gold. One can still 'pan' gold in a few streams around Australia.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

Thanks

Nigel

Nigel, there is a great place you can learn and that's here. BobJ is a guru on this and is very very supportive of young ones who throw numerous questions at him over and over again. Where are you heading and how old is your son? I can get my youngest to help him a little but as I say BobJ is your main man. We just need to convince him he has to get another road trip organized for 2014, although i think I will be banned from it if he does lol.

Seriously though Bob showed my youngest what to look for and where to go. He has been busy since we got back home changing schools etc, but once he is settled again i am sure he will tell you and show you what he has found.

Nigel, there is a great place you can learn and that's here. BobJ is a guru on this and is very very supportive of young ones who throw numerous questions at him over and over again. Where are you heading and how old is your son? I can get my youngest to help him a little but as I say BobJ is your main man. We just need to convince him he has to get another road trip organized for 2014, although i think I will be banned from it if he does lol.

Seriously though Bob showed my youngest what to look for and where to go. He has been busy since we got back home changing schools etc, but once he is settled again i am sure he will tell you and show you what he has found.

He doesn't need convincing at all. Already looking forward to 2014 and you won't be banned, PQ. It's fortitude like yours that gets things donethumbs.gif

I would be pleased to help out, if I can

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Pom Queen. Sorry have not answered you have been busy trying to get house and things sorted out. We are heading for Brisbane not sure what part as that will depend on Schools. My Son will be 14 when we arrive.

Nigel

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Pom Queen. Sorry have not answered you have been busy trying to get house and things sorted out. We are heading for Brisbane not sure what part as that will depend on Schools. My Son will be 14 when we arrive.

Nigel

Don't worry, hope its all coming together. We are in FNQ but Bobj may know of some fossicking places closer for you.

My youngest is 12.

Don't worry, hope its all coming together. We are in FNQ but Bobj may know of some fossicking places closer for you.

My youngest is 12.

I do know some areas but they are a few hours' drive from Brisbane.

Let's see, gold at Durikai State Forest, topaz and a few rare sapphires from around Stanthorpe, Swiper's Gully.

Abit further afield at Glen Innes, NSW sapphires, spinel (small)and some topaz. 4 hour drive from Brissie.

Torrington has good quartz crystals at the Dutchman mine, clear beryl at Fielder's Hill mine topaz at Blatherarm Creek and wolfram in a few of the old mine mullock heaps. 3.5 hours' from Brissie.

Any help?

Can expand on it for a price...red jelly babies!:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Ok thanks

Still all going crazy , but do have a job interview tonight so things are looking up.

That's great news, good luck

Archived