Electronic Security Queensland?

Hi Nearlythere1,

I can only partially answer your question as I am a security technician who has not made the move yet, we are moving to Brisbane in September.

I contacted http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au who are the issuing authority for the security licence in qld to ask about obtaining the licence from the UK this was their reply:

If you visit our website - http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au there you will find the application form you will need to complete plus information regarding the licence. The form is a SPA1-2.

As we will have a price rise in July it would be best that you didn't complete and send the application until after that date.

You will need to have your fingerprints taken, but that can't be done until you arrive in Australia as we need to send you a letter to present at a police station. Also, we require you to send 2 passport size photos certified by a person who has known you for over 12 months and 100 points of ID certified by a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner for Declarations, Solicitor or Notary Public. All this information is on the application form.

It would probably be best to wait until you arrive and have a permanent residential address for us to send any correspondence to.

Our processing times are 4-6 weeks.

i also asked for clarification as to wether the person certifying the photos needs to be an Australian resident and their reply was that they do not. They can also be a relative which I did find odd but it makes it easier for me so no complaints there.

From what I have read you cannot gain clearance for gov or military roles until you are a citizen.

I hope this helps.

Regards

w1

Hi w1,

Thanks for the info. You've definitely given me a starting point. There seems to be plenty of work around in the Brisbane area, going by Seek.com. We're hoping to go by around Sept/Oct, though haven't got the visa yet. Thinking of Townsville (where we have friends) nice and warm, or Brisbane (where we have both). Depends on the jobs really.. I didn't get much feedback from employers when enquiring about a 457 last year, so we went for a 189 with electronic equipment trades worker. Have you got a job to go to yet? Hope you have a great move and thanks again.. :) :eek:

I've applied for a few jobs but heard nothing back from all but 1, a temp position but as soon as they realised I wasn't already on Aus soil I got rejected. I've stopped applying now, most of the employers specify you need to have a security licence and cablers licence to apply. So I think it's a case of waiting till I've got these sorted and hopefully I'll be able to pick up something to keep me going when I get there.

What sort of work are you doing now and what u hoping to do? I'm mostly CCTV and access control ATM all in universities and prisons. Etc, would love to keep doing the same, but beggars can't be choosers eh!

Keep in touch mate and let me know how you get on and I will do the same.

Did 10+ yrs as tech on all sorts, tech service manager for last 16 months, though preferred being out on the road. Same here with the applications, I don't think anybody employs outside Aus for the licensing and criminal records checks etc. I've spoken to an Australia wide security recruiter who said the same and to get in touch with him when I got there.. I'll dig his contact details out and pass on to you.. I've been in MoD since 2006, kings and ADT prior to that. Yeah will be good to keep in touch. You on LinkedIn?

• 1 month later...

Archived