Container shipping ports?

Hi All, again,

Can anyone advise on destination ports on the Qld coast? I've been advised (by a shipping company) that I can't get my personal possessions shipped directly to Townsville (if we go there)? That Brisbane is the closest port, which would then be followed by a £2600 return road trip for our container? Can anyone confirm this please? Thanks all..

TOWNSVILLE (PORT OF TOWNSVILLE LIMITED)Authority: Port of Townsville Limited

Chief Executive Officer: Barry Holden

Principle office: Benwell Road, PO Box 1031, Townsville QLD 4810

Telephone: (07) 4781 1500. Fax: (07) 4781 1525

Email: info@townsville-port.com.au

Principal Imports: Nickel ore, oil and petroleum products, cement, general cargo, mineral concentrates and fertiliser.

Principal Exports: Mineral concentrates, sugar, high analysis fertiliser, refined mineral products, molasses and general cargo.

Channel & Harbour Depths: The access channels to the Port of Townsville have a total length of 6.4 nautical miles. The channel is 92 metres wide and has a depth of approximately 11.7 metres below Lowest Astronomical Tide (LAT). Depths alongside the wharves vary according to the requirements of the individual trade using the wharf. Depths vary from 12.9 metres at Berth 2 to 9.5 metres at Berth 10.

Cargo Berths: The Port of Townsville has nine operational berths. They are:

Berth 1 is a dedicated bulk liquids wharf used exclusively by tankers for bulk oil, gas and sulphuric acid discharge and by all types of vessels for bunkering.

Berth 2 is used for unloading nickel ore, two gantry cranes can be equipped to unload ore from the vessel into hoppers and feed a conveyor system, which carries the ore to the load out site. The berth is leased to Xstrata who have licensed its use to Queensland Nickel.

Berth 3 is leased to Xstrata, and is operated and controlled by Northern Stevedoring Services Pty. Ltd. Typical cargoes handled over this wharf include: lead ingots, refined copper, nickel and zinc. Also used for containerised cargo, fertiliser imports and live cattle exports.

Berth 4 has a priority berthing arrangement with Cement Australia handling bulk cement imported from Gladstone. The berth also handles molasses, mineral products, and general cargo. The molasses pipeline to this berth is capable of loading up to 400 tonnes/hour.

Berth 7 is leased to Xstrata and supports a bulk shiploader for mineral concentrates and ores at the rate of 1000 tonnes/hour, and fertiliser at 1200 tonnes/hour. Mineral concentrates mined in northwest Queensland are exported over this wharf. The berth is also equipped with bunker pipelines.

Berth 8 is a general purpose berth handling molasses, fertiliser, refined mineral products, sulphur and general cargo. This berth is currently under redevelopment as part of the $118 million Townsville Port Inner Harbour Expansion (TPIX).

Berth 9 has a priority berthing arrangement with Queensland Sugar, and is Australia’s largest point of export of sugar. A bulk shiploader delivers sugar to carriers at the rate of 2000 tonnes/hour. The berth is equipped with bulk molasses and bunker pipelines.

Berth 10 is a general purpose berth and is being extended to accommodate cruise and military vessels as part of the TPIX project.

Berth 11 is known as the Outer Berth Mineral Concentrates Loading Facility. Lead and zinc concentrates are placed onto a conveyor system by front-end loader and transported to the 1350 tonnes/hour shiploader. The facility is owned by BHP Billiton Cannington.

Mobile Cargo Handling Equipment: Individual stevedoring companies have an extensive range of mobile cargo handling equipment including forklifts, tractors, trailers (container), loaders and earth-moving equipment.

Road and Rail Access: All berths are accessible to road transport whilst berths 3 and 4 are serviced by railway lines integrated with Queensland’s railway system.

Hi,

Thanks MovingtoTasmania, I knew the port was there, just couldn't work out why I was being told that I couldn't ship personal possessions there. I have a feeling maybe this particular company do not ship there, as opposed to no-one can ship there.. Scrub that shipping firm, on to the next.. Thanks again.. :wacko:

Archived