Better quality of life or Not?!

JonandVicky

Dumb poms don't even know what a long black is.

I had to ask for an american or some such rubbish.

Took me a while to get around asking for an Americano here! I unthinkingly asked for a long black not so long ago then realized what I'd said and blustered a bit when the barista said "No worries I know just what you mean" (barista from Sydney!). At the beginning though, most looked at me like I'd blundered off a spaceship. Suspect I'd have got much the same response if I'd asked in NY

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is absolutely true Melza.

Plunger is okay but not close to coffee shop where it is produced under pressure from a machine that probably costs $30000.

Admittedly the coffee comes from overseas but the point is we have a very well known coffee culture in Australia. Coffee shops every where in the cities.

While there may be an abundance of over priced cafes it does not necessary make the coffee experience in any way superior from other countries.

Coffee shops/places are for the sole use of pretentious,snotty blerts in my eyes....................

But I LIVE in coffee shops! There is one, not 20 metres from my front door, though if there was a pub closer, I would go there first! And I don't pay any attention to the 'coffee of the week' blurb, or whether my favourite barista is on duty.

I've got a suspicion that ice cream could be the next big thing, judging by the number that seem to be opening in Crown Street, Surry Hills and Darlinghurst. Of course, I have revealed myself as horribly uncouth by describing 'it' as 'ice cream.'

I'm also highly suspicious that the trendies judge the establishment by the length of its queues, in fact ringing each other to check, not so much that there is no queue, but that the queue is long enough to ensure they can wait in line for at least half an hour.

Being uncouth, I care nothing for the 'one hundred different flavours, all made with REAL Italian milk', and would rather just get a Magnum from the nearest 7-11.

We have been mulling over moving to Australia for about 5yrs, a lot of people say we wouldn't be better off financially but our quality of life would be so much better. I worry that I'd be working every hour and my partner will be on her own with the kids with no other support. We know we would have to put ourselves out there but how willing are people, taking in new people into there community?

Just a bit of a reminder of the OP, whilst I appreciate that Coffee is very important to some people, I think the OP was hoping to hear more about things like work/life balance etc.,

Are you serious?Whats so special about "Australian"coffee?Does'nt taste any diff from any other I've tasted,and lets be honest,probably most of the coffee used in Oz cafes or whatever is from overseas anyway!Ridiculous statement Parleycross,sorry!!!

I'm not precious about my coffee and I'm no particular fan of the man but, apparently, Heston Blumenthal thinks there is something special about it.

He nominated "decent coffee" as first of the 5 foodie things he'd like to take back to the UK from Oz.

Unfortunately the complete article has expired...it was quite interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/04/heston-blumenthal-five-australian-food-trends-the-uk-should-adopt

It's true most of the coffee is grown overseas but so much of the "quality" comes from the making of it...it's quite a science.

Australia is the beneficiary of the huge wave of Italian post war migrants who brought their coffee making skills and culture to the country and were the first to open coffee shops here.

Just a bit of a reminder of the OP, whilst I appreciate that Coffee is very important to some people, I think the OP was hoping to hear more about things like work/life balance etc.,

I suppose on many levels, there is little to choose between life in the UK, and life in Australia, with so many things being similar. You work, you commute, you pay bills, you worry about everything and nothing.

But, as I've said too many times, I know, once that germ of an idea is planted in your head, about moving to Australia (or NZ, Canada, France, Spain, even) you have subtly changed your mindset from other people in the UK.

Don't change your mind because you read a few scare stories on PIO, for instance. Remember, they are always in the minority, even if they seem to be prominent.

Of course, it is a big move, so do your research, and be prepared for a period of unsettled feelings. You might arrive, 'dive into the Aussie life pool, and start swimming straight away.' On the other hand, you may well need a 'life jacket' for a while.

We all start off our new lives as 'tourists!' The majority of us end up simply 'living' here. It is home!

For God's sake, please don't be someone who says 'I could have gone but then I realized my life was just as good as it gets in the UK, and anyway, those people who went and hate it put me off.'

Remember also that a third return. Another thing is a number that do feel less than benevolent towards Australia, reframe from posting due to feeling intimidated by the likely barrage of attacking mail that often follows a post daring to criticise. I do get pm's telling me as much and not only abuse.

Many of those have their own reasons to be so defensive, one suspects, as their lives may or may not be quite all it's claimed to be. Another thing to remember of course is that many established before prices went sky high in Australia. Third most expensive country to purchase a house. Job market tightening and who knows the outcome.

I'll allow you to be a judge of the quality of life. Without knowing the conditions you wish to leave behind it is impossible to answer. A lot of deep considerations are required on a personal level to which the god zoner brigade on this forum nor a realist as myself can answer with a straight yes or no.

More likely to be similar but different.

Remember also that a third return. Another thing is a number that do feel less than benevolent towards Australia, reframe from posting due to feeling intimidated by the likely barrage of attacking mail that often follows a post daring to criticise. I do get pm's telling me as much and not only abuse.

Many of those have their own reasons to be so defensive, one suspects, as their lives may or may not be quite all it's claimed to be. Another thing to remember of course is that many established before prices went sky high in Australia. Third most expensive country to purchase a house. Job market tightening and who knows the outcome.

I'll allow you to be a judge of the quality of life. Without knowing the conditions you wish to leave behind it is impossible to answer. A lot of deep considerations are required on a personal level to which the god zoner brigade on this forum nor a realist as myself can answer with a straight yes or no.

While it may or may not be the case that a third return this stat would take no account of those who had always intended to return. I suspect though that if the proportion who planned to migrate permanently but returned was smaller you would probably say that they simply became stuck and could not afford to move back.

Having said that if you make the move you really should look on it as a different way of life, not necessarily better or worse IMO. We expect to be financially much worse off by moving to Oz though it may work out differently, who knows, but we are definitely not making the move for money but rather for a slower pace of life with more heat and sunshine than the UK offers. But we are older than most migrants on here so nearing the end of our working lives so our priorities are different. I don't think I would do it if I was 20 years younger tbh.

A third do return, but half of them make their way permanently back to Australia! OK, it's based on the figures for the 'Ten Pound Poms', a million or so of them, with a quarter heading back to UK, but half of that quarter, deciding that Australia was where they wanted to be.

What often happens, is that even as they think they hate Australia, it is gradually 'growing' on them, but they don't actually realize it until they are back in the UK, when the ones with Australian citizenship or PR thank their lucky stars, whilst the ones who could not wait to get back 'home' without C/PR come to regret it.

I don't indulge in 'hate mail' towards anybody who 'dares' to criticise Australia. I'm always prepared to acknowledge the drawbacks of life here but I do hate the ones who couch their criticism of Australia in terms of how 'different' Aussies are, how they hate the Pommies, how it's impossible to make friends like at home, etc.

Yes I get that coffee making is a "science"but why would the coffee be better in Oz than anywhere else?My twin has a good coffee machine,does the whole frothy milk thing,and actually taste better than cafe ones!Mind you I make a good coffee at home,yes in the UK!Is the coffee better is oz because you can drink it outside?Well guess what?So can we!:laugh:

I don't know if anyone has done an attitudinal survey of long term migrants - that'd be interesting. My observation of those long term migrants that I knock around with is that there is more resignation than anything else. There is that point of no return with finances, family, property, health and all that other stuff that keeps them there rather than an honest to goodness passion for living there. But an academic survey would be interesting

A third do return, but half of them make their way permanently back to Australia! OK, it's based on the figures for the 'Ten Pound Poms', a million or so of them, with a quarter heading back to UK, but half of that quarter, deciding that Australia was where they wanted to be.

What often happens, is that even as they think they hate Australia, it is gradually 'growing' on them, but they don't actually realize it until they are back in the UK, when the ones with Australian citizenship or PR thank their lucky stars, whilst the ones who could not wait to get back 'home' without C/PR come to regret it.

I don't indulge in 'hate mail' towards anybody who 'dares' to criticise Australia. I'm always prepared to acknowledge the drawbacks of life here but I do hate the ones who couch their criticism of Australia in terms of how 'different' Aussies are, how they hate the Pommies, how it's impossible to make friends like at home, etc.

Not only large numbers of Brit's but in recent times Chinese and Indians are quitting in large numbers. A number get citizenship first of course. I doubt if anything like a half of that quarter return to OZ these days if ever. Life is far to expensive and this country has changed beyond recognition over the past decade or so.

Of course a number will ping pong, although no one I've ever known. Even after a considerable time here a line was drawn under that part of life and they'd moved on to other ventures. Even for the most part, most didn't dislike Australia. Just grew apart from it. Nice for a time. Indeed a considerable time, but to spend an entire life? Not for all. The common thread would be something like there's so much more to do elsewhere and to reconnect with life. (A Swiss woman put those exact words to me, after a return to her homeland) But many have been put off by a blandness also a little repetitive.

As with everything suites some and others less. Depends on where from and what if anything to go back to. As well as economic situation, health and well being and family opinions on the matter.

I don't know if anyone has done an attitudinal survey of long term migrants - that'd be interesting. My observation of those long term migrants that I knock around with is that there is more resignation than anything else. There is that point of no return with finances, family, property, health and all that other stuff that keeps them there rather than an honest to goodness passion for living there. But an academic survey would be interesting

It would be but not sure if some are so resigned to their situation that they wouldn't answer truthfully.

Yes I get that coffee making is a "science"but why would the coffee be better in Oz than anywhere else?My twin has a good coffee machine,does the whole frothy milk thing,and actually taste better than cafe ones!Mind you I make a good coffee at home,yes in the UK!Is the coffee better is oz because you can drink it outside?Well guess what?So can we!:laugh:

You'd be a good one to be in a position to give a valid account being back in Australia, or recently had returned here for a spell, Melza. What are your impressions into the lifestyle you find in Australia these days? Could you see yourself ever returning to live? Any areas that stand out where either place dominates a particular preference over the other?

I'd be interested to read having a similar story to myself.

Archived