Better quality of life or Not?!

JonandVicky

After talking with my wife yesterday over lunch we were having the 'better life' discussion and we agreed that its not a case of is/could oz be better than the UK or uk better than oz.

It needs to be a case of is the place we are going to move to in OZ (Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sydney etc) better than the place we have/are leaving.

Admittedly life in Aus doesnt differ so much from place to place, especially by distance, to places in the UK, with regards to food, accents etc but Australia still cant be generalised as a whole country.

I personally think the BIGGEST factor to someone staying here is where they came from, NOT where they have gone to.

Its a huge move and expensive but the only way to know is to try it.

Id rather regret doing it than regret not.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'd be a good one to be in a position to give a valid account being back in Australia, or recently had returned here for a spell, Melza. What are your impressions into the lifestyle you find in Australia these days? Could you see yourself ever returning to live? Any areas that stand out where either place dominates a particular preference over the other?

I'd be interested to read having a similar story to myself.

Hmm where do I start?lol Ok I have travelled quite alot back to Oz in the 15 yrs I've been away.This time I've been here nearly 6 mths (Just got back to Adelaide for Mums funeral).Well its not the Australia I left 15 yrs ago,thats for sure.Real estate prices have skyrocketed.My nephew is about to downsize (not that he's living in a mansion mind you)because they can't afford the replayments anymore,they want to start a family so...they have little choice.When I left Oz,it was'nt unreasonable to expect the guy to just be working and alot of Mums managed to stay home.These days,that option probably would'nt be available to the vast majority of people.Work wise,very quiet.Spoke to a guy a few weeks ago,his brother had lost his job at Holdens and had applied for over 500 jobs and still nothing.Most unskilled jobs here need a certificate which I find ridiculous,and most are employed on a casual basis,which is ok if you don't depend on that regular income too much,but most people I would say would.Used to be easy picking up work when I lived here,not anymore.

Prices in supermarkets can vary.Some things are expensive like coffee (sic)fresh fruit and veg are quite expensive,most of my family use frozen veg to balance out the cost.Toiletries I've found are also expensive.Meat seems to be ok,does'nt look or taste any better than UK meat tbh.I saw an advert for a bus pass,you buy a card which you can then load up with money.From my sisters house in Greenwith,a Mon-Fri x 4 pass is $115.A schooner of beer is $6,glass of house white $5.Eating out is ok,depends where you go of course.Average price in our local pub is $25-$30,with a help yourself veg buffet.

I liked living in Oz when I lived here.Just needed more stimulation,being able to travel at a reasonable price,and go out alot socially.The people I know here still do neither.My sisters local is full of people playing pokies.No one actually talks to anyone which is rather sad.Sth Oz is still a beautiful place in its own right,that has'nt changed.Its abit of a shame they have built up areas like Mt Barker,Nairne,Freeling.The towns have now become too big and lost the community spirit side of things.This trip has actually been good for me because when I came over 6 mths ago at the back of mind was a feeling I had to make a decision where I would spend the rest of my life.This trip has clarified that.I'm staying in the UK.

Yep, better QOL for us. This question is ENTIRELY dependent on what you like to do..favourite pastimes etc. I like being outside in the warm weather, I love the Ocean, I can do that MUCH more freely here thus better QOL. At this point in time. Lots of variables though and clearly QOL is not the be all and end all of a contented life. Issues like health/family/finances all come in to play

Yep, better QOL for us. This question is ENTIRELY dependent on what you like to do..favourite pastimes etc. I like being outside in the warm weather, I love the Ocean, I can do that MUCH more freely here thus better QOL. At this point in time. Lots of variables though and clearly QOL is not the be all and end all of a contented life. Issues like health/family/finances all come in to play[/quote/]

Good post and i agree with this, its way better over here if you like the water and outdoors, and i yes i know you can go in the sea and to the beach in the UK but it isnt the same when your clingwrapped in a wetsuit/ boots and gloves to try and keep warm,lol

Cal x

Yep, better QOL for us. This question is ENTIRELY dependent on what you like to do..favourite pastimes etc. I like being outside in the warm weather, I love the Ocean, I can do that MUCH more freely here thus better QOL. At this point in time. Lots of variables though and clearly QOL is not the be all and end all of a contented life. Issues like health/family/finances all come in to play[/quote/]

Good post and i agree with this, its way better over here if you like the water and outdoors, and i yes i know you can go in the sea and to the beach in the UK but it isnt the same when your clingwrapped in a wetsuit/ boots and gloves to try and keep warm,lol

Cal x

When we were over on holiday a few years ago my wife insisted on us visiting Bournemouth, as that is where we met. The kids had never been there, it was a cold windy day and when we got there, paid for parking she insisted we go to the end of the pier too. Me and the kids just wanted to get back in the car and leave, go to the pub or something. Obviously we had to go on the pier.

Walked down from the car park, all wrapped up in borrowed warm coats and we had to pay to go on the pier, couldn't believe it. There were a few hardy kids surfing with full wetsuits, hoods, gloves, boots and my son just said why would you bother. He's been spoilt of course and rarely surfs if it's too cold to just wear a rashie and board shorts, which is most of the year.

When we were over on holiday a few years ago my wife insisted on us visiting Bournemouth, as that is where we met. The kids had never been there, it was a cold windy day and when we got there, paid for parking she insisted we go to the end of the pier too. Me and the kids just wanted to get back in the car and leave, go to the pub or something. Obviously we had to go on the pier.

Walked down from the car park, all wrapped up in borrowed warm coats and we had to pay to go on the pier, couldn't believe it. There were a few hardy kids surfing with full wetsuits, hoods, gloves, boots and my son just said why would you bother. He's been spoilt of course and rarely surfs if it's too cold to just wear a rashie and board shorts, which is most of the year.

Funny you should say that. We were in Manly last week and on one lovely warm sunny day (around 23 degrees) we noticed there was not a single sail boat out (my wife is into sailing). On a day like that in the Solent everyone would be taking advantage but to a Queenslander this is midwinter so they are clearly waiting for better conditions in the spring.

Funny you should say that. We were in Manly last week and on one lovely warm sunny day (around 23 degrees) we noticed there was not a single sail boat out (my wife is into sailing). On a day like that in the Solent everyone would be taking advantage but to a Queenslander this is midwinter so they are clearly waiting for better conditions in the spring.

Is there as much sailing done around Manly as in the Solent though? I guess Aussies have a much bigger choice with harbours and sailing clubs up and down the coast and the whole of Sydeny Harbour to go at. The winter has certainly not stopped the sailing in Perth, we see yachts from Hillary's Marina most weekends and they have a few organised race days in the winter.

It's a bit the same here though with loads of yacht clubs around the river where they can get some safe sailing in all year round.

Hmm where do I start?lol Ok I have travelled quite alot back to Oz in the 15 yrs I've been away.This time I've been here nearly 6 mths (Just got back to Adelaide for Mums funeral).Well its not the Australia I left 15 yrs ago,thats for sure.Real estate prices have skyrocketed.My nephew is about to downsize (not that he's living in a mansion mind you)because they can't afford the replayments anymore,they want to start a family so...they have little choice.When I left Oz,it was'nt unreasonable to expect the guy to just be working and alot of Mums managed to stay home.These days,that option probably would'nt be available to the vast majority of people.Work wise,very quiet.Spoke to a guy a few weeks ago,his brother had lost his job at Holdens and had applied for over 500 jobs and still nothing.Most unskilled jobs here need a certificate which I find ridiculous,and most are employed on a casual basis,which is ok if you don't depend on that regular income too much,but most people I would say would.Used to be easy picking up work when I lived here,not anymore.

Prices in supermarkets can vary.Some things are expensive like coffee (sic)fresh fruit and veg are quite expensive,most of my family use frozen veg to balance out the cost.Toiletries I've found are also expensive.Meat seems to be ok,does'nt look or taste any better than UK meat tbh.I saw an advert for a bus pass,you buy a card which you can then load up with money.From my sisters house in Greenwith,a Mon-Fri x 4 pass is $115.A schooner of beer is $6,glass of house white $5.Eating out is ok,depends where you go of course.Average price in our local pub is $25-$30,with a help yourself veg buffet.

I liked living in Oz when I lived here.Just needed more stimulation,being able to travel at a reasonable price,and go out alot socially.The people I know here still do neither.My sisters local is full of people playing pokies.No one actually talks to anyone which is rather sad.Sth Oz is still a beautiful place in its own right,that has'nt changed.Its abit of a shame they have built up areas like Mt Barker,Nairne,Freeling.The towns have now become too big and lost the community spirit side of things.This trip has actually been good for me because when I came over 6 mths ago at the back of mind was a feeling I had to make a decision where I would spend the rest of my life.This trip has clarified that.I'm staying in the UK.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Fully concur with everything you say even though it is from your personal perspective. I do recall in some of your posts an 'unsure longing' to return to Australia if that's the correct way to describe it , as such the final conclusion though not entirely unexpected, is interesting.

Adelaide/SA of course is something of the 'rust bucket' state when it comes to growth and jobs and hard to see how that may change. The lack of connection is I agree something that has sadly manifested itself to alarming degrees over time. People seem avert to speak these days. The psychology behind this established trend would be interesting.

I never fully understand the emphasis put on weather. Especially at the expense of a rich and varied life more attainable and affordable in some other localities. But we're all different of course. If the beach (mostly look the same to me) or a house with a pool are the most desired features in life , well harmless enough.

Condolences over the loss of your mum. At least you has the half year together prior to her passing. It also allowed you time to realise Australia has little to offer you as a place to return to live. Important I think to have been in a position to obtain that clarification and exorcise the thoughts of a possible return Down Under.

But it doesn't kick in below a £325k threshold (£650k for a couple as the allowance gets passed to the surviving spouse) so the children inherit well over a million dollars before any tax applies. Remember also that for most where this applies it is on the back of soaring property values during that persons lifetime so not earned in any way really. The scandal is that the seriously rich avoid it so it is a tax on the middle classes only.

It shouldn't exist at all.

I can't remember what the threshold was in early 2000s when my Dad died but I think something like 90,000 when in death duties.

When there is a house and other assets it doesn't take much to go over the threshold and then something like 40% goes in tax.

On the positive side, back then I got $2.55 for every pound on the exchange rate.

But I object to Death Duties as a concept. The original party already paid tax on their income so this is really double taxation.

It shouldn't exist at all.

I can't remember what the threshold was in early 2000s when my Dad died but I think something like 90,000 when in death duties.

When there is a house and other assets it doesn't take much to go over the threshold and then something like 40% goes in tax.

On the positive side, back then I got $2.55 for every pound on the exchange rate.

But I object to Death Duties as a concept. The original party already paid tax on their income so this is really double taxation.

VAT and Sales Tax is double taxation - after all you were taxed when you earned it and you are taxed again when you spend it. IHT is mainly a tax on the capital appreciation of the home over the lifetime so not earned income.

Let's face it, none of us want to pay any taxes really and you can make a valid argument against any one of them. My MIL's estate was subject to IHT and the tax was higher than £90k (as you say it is 40% once past the threshold) but the inheritance was not something my wife or her siblings earned and neither did her MIL as most of it was the value of the house.

Imagine when someone like Paul McCartney die and the government cream off about 500 million pounds of his estate.

Im sure he has some way of getting around it.

See my earlier post. The wealthy get around it with offshore trusts. The costs of setting up avoidance vehicles outweigh any gain for the middle classes so IHT has become a tax on the middle classes only. That is the real scandal.

The fact remains if you die in Australia, your kids will inherit a lot more without the government snuffling up that 40%, compared to UK.

So definitely get your wealthy parents over here by hook or by crook.:wink:

Ha ha. Good point!

My parents are definitely not in that category. I'm from poor working class stock (married above my station). :cute:

The uk's not a surfing destination .. Try Hawaii .. But don't moan there's no historic castles there.

No reason on earth why kids should inherit massive untaxed/unearned gains in housing inflation. The correct method of course would be over a certain inflation allowing and moderate gain, the excess go towards late life health care or the kids contribute in kind until agreed amount used up.

So we sell up, buy antiques, paintings, jewelry, gold and pass that on to the kids instead! in other words don't be so silly of course we pass on our wealth (in whatever form) if we have any and that was always our intention to do so.

So we sell up, buy antiques, paintings, jewelry, gold and pass that on to the kids instead! in other words don't be so silly of course we pass on our wealth (in whatever form) if we have any and that was always our intention to do so.

Why should the state be expected to fund the entire retirement issues like nursing homes etc, when many have ample means to contribute? As I wrote either from the house inflated value or the kids make a contribution. Why should a million dollars untaxed go towards kids gain? Australia can not afford such extravagance. In Europe kids have a legal responsible to care for parents to their ability.

Do that by all means. Every system has avoidance strategies. But if living in an inflated one million dollar house, or even more there is every reason by that untaxed earning after a certain fair amount should not be forced to pay for nursing home care. No one likes to pay taxes but everybody wants the benefits.

The uk's not a surfing destination .. Try Hawaii .. But don't moan there's no historic castles there.

Information about England

england.jpg

Surf England - Quick Facts

POPULATION: 55000000

NATIONALITY: British

LANGUAGE: English (really!)

CURRENCY: Pound

England is rich in history and culture, a rainy land which borders with Scotland, and Wales. The population is now well over 50 million, making it a crowded little island. Don't expect to get many waves to yourself.

Its most popular foods include Fish and Chips, and Chicken Tikka Masala. England is a great place to visit.

London is the capital and most populated city, flying into Heathrow gives you fair idea of the size of the city.

England Surfing Info and Details

[h=2]England Surf Spot Map[/h]

Many of England's great waves have been added to the surf map above. Why not take a moment to browse through and perhaps add your own.

England is full of contrasts and offers a whole range of surf destinations and waves to match, and what most travelling surfers fail to realise is that England receives swell on its entire coastline, thus effectively providing a 360 degree swell angle, and no part place in England is more than 80 miles from the coast. Good old Blighty!

Cornwall is the area that most people associate with English surfing, and Fistral Beach being the most widely known beach. Cornwall receives plenty of swell, and offers quality conditions for both the beginner and the professional.

The surfing season in the United Kingdom runs from Autumn to Spring, providing consistent surf of 4 to 12ft at times. Britain’s long continental shelf drains some power from the swell but it still packs a punch to be reckoned with. Huge tides means that the sea can rise and fall up to 15ft at times making spots always changeable, always challenging and always exciting. Summer on the whole is much smaller with swells averaging between 1 to 4ft.

Archived