Londoners in Cairns?

Guest bohlesover

Guest bohlesover

Hi,

Are there any londoners/pommies in Cairns, we have made a few friends, hubby a plasterer, I am a housewife, so plenty of time on my hands, but dont seem to meet many new faces, I go to the local gym, but everyone seems pretty reserved!

Karen (44) Billy (48):smile:

Okay, if theres none here, is anybody that is emigrating thinking of coming to Cairns? It seems real strange that there are not a lot of pomms here!!

Guest Mrs C

Hi karen,

I am still in the Uk but fly out to Cairnes on Sep 2nd, albeit for only nine days, but we might like it and want to stay you never know.

Anyway just wanted to say that I'm sure you'll meet some nice people from this site.

All the best

April x

Guest bohlesover
Hi karen,

I am still in the Uk but fly out to Cairnes on Sep 2nd, albeit for only nine days, but we might like it and want to stay you never know.

Anyway just wanted to say that I'm sure you'll meet some nice people from this site.

All the best

April x

Hi April

Thanks for your reply, are you coming for a holiday or reckie? Hope you enjoy it.

Karen

Guest Mrs C

Hi Karen,

We are staying in Cairns for the first 9 days as a Holiday but then stright down to Brisbane to settle, find house, jobs schools etc.

I am really looking forward to seeing Cairns and to be honest my OH would like to stay so who knows???

April

Guest Em and Andy

Hi there!

We're thinking of coming over to live in Cairns in July/August, I've been for a holiday before, but partner has never been. How are you getting on there? How long have you been out there?

Regards

Emma (35, salesperson) and Andy (42, electrician)

Guest bohlesover
Hi there!

We're thinking of coming over to live in Cairns in July/August, I've been for a holiday before, but partner has never been. How are you getting on there? How long have you been out there?

Regards

Emma (35, salesperson) and Andy (42, electrician)

Hi,

We have been in Cairns for a year, was in Melbourne before, we love it here, warm every day, in winter and even warmer in summer, with the rain! it can get humid, but thats not a problem for us, we are renting in the city at the moment, but are looking for land to have our house Built, Andy would be laughing with his work here, and trades (decent ones) are very hard to come by here, my husband gets many phone calls for jobs to quote, and they are so surprised that he even turns up! well we brits know how to work! On the whole we love living the tropical lifestyle, and certainly would not change it. Good luck, keep me posted.

Karen

Guest kylee1

Hi, we are coming to Cairns in October for a 3 week reckie trip. We want to have a look at work houses etc, and if all goes well, we will start the 175 skilled pr visa as soon as we get home. My OH is a carpenter so hopefully he will fird work.

It would be lovely to meet some pommies whilst we are there and see how you are getting on in Cairns.

We do look online for carpentry jobs but have not come across many, is it better to wait until we are there and go round the construction sites?

Also does anyone know the average wage for a carpenter and how long it takes to obtain a licence.

Thanks , Kylee

Guest bohlesover
Hi, we are coming to Cairns in October for a 3 week reckie trip. We want to have a look at work houses etc, and if all goes well, we will start the 175 skilled pr visa as soon as we get home. My OH is a carpenter so hopefully he will fird work.

It would be lovely to meet some pommies whilst we are there and see how you are getting on in Cairns.

We do look online for carpentry jobs but have not come across many, is it better to wait until we are there and go round the construction sites?

Also does anyone know the average wage for a carpenter and how long it takes to obtain a licence.

Thanks , Kylee

Hi Kylee,

Thanks for reply, hopefully when you come in october we can have a meet, as for chippie, I am sure that when you get here it is better to look for work, you know it is always easier, with the "who you know situation" not sure about wages, I really think it depends on the company, but my hubby will ask around on the sites for you. What licence are you referring to? there are many that you can get here! Stay in touch. Karen

Guest kylee1
Hi Kylee,

Thanks for reply, hopefully when you come in october we can have a meet, as for chippie, I am sure that when you get here it is better to look for work, you know it is always easier, with the "who you know situation" not sure about wages, I really think it depends on the company, but my hubby will ask around on the sites for you. What licence are you referring to? there are many that you can get here! Stay in touch. Karen

Going on various posts I have read, Am I right in saying that if you want to go self employed you have to have some sort of licence??

How does your OH find working out there and is he on a similar wage to what he was in the uk? And what is it like working in the really hot/humid weather?

( Hope you dont mind all the questions!!)

Guest bohlesover

Kylee

Ask whatever you want! oh has took to working here very well, and considering his is a very physical job, i was concerned about the heat, but there are lotions and potions that the guys use, and also protective workwear that is a must, not forgetting a hat, and keep hydrated, he copes well, as for wages he is earning in dollars what he earnt in pounds, very good wages! he has also started up his own plastering company and its going very well, mainly because people in Cairns are so laid back, they do not turn up to even give quotes, they also favour pommy trades! (think its our accent!) Hubby has just done his BSA licence which is quite involved, and its a course for 2 days practical, and then he has to produce exhibits of his work, and they come to assess you on site, it all costs around $1000 but worth it, you also need a blue card to work here, on sites and that is obtainable online when you get here. Karen

Guest kylee1

Hi, Thanks for your replies. We will have lots to think about and look into when we come out in Oct. Our long term goal is also to have a house built, is land easy to come by?

What will the weather be like when we come out in Oct/Nov?

Kylee

Guest bohlesover
Hi, Thanks for your replies. We will have lots to think about and look into when we come out in Oct. Our long term goal is also to have a house built, is land easy to come by?

What will the weather be like when we come out in Oct/Nov?

Kylee

weather will be perfect hot, should be dry, and warm nights. Land is in abundance, depends if you want waterside living or rainforest living, there are lots of new estates springing up very nice check out Red Peak estate (google it) and also canopys edge, and bluwater, prices are rising, if you want water by the sea, rainforest tends to be cheaper, all depends on the area. Karen

• 7 months later...
Guest paul n kath

hiya,

we too are looking to move to cairns, hubby is a carpenter and passed his skill assessment the end of october. Sent off application via fedex on friday and had email confirming it had arrived on tuesday. wow. Now i guess its a waiting game. We live in a council house so no worries about selling up and are saving like mad. So its a case of as soon as visas come then we're off more or less.

went to cairns 6/7 yrs ago and loved it, so can't wait to go back.

Can I ask if you have any children?

Speak soon Kath x

Guest bohlesover
hiya,

we too are looking to move to cairns, hubby is a carpenter and passed his skill assessment the end of october. Sent off application via fedex on friday and had email confirming it had arrived on tuesday. wow. Now i guess its a waiting game. We live in a council house so no worries about selling up and are saving like mad. So its a case of as soon as visas come then we're off more or less.

went to cairns 6/7 yrs ago and loved it, so can't wait to go back.

Can I ask if you have any children?

Speak soon Kath x

Hi Kath, Paul

Yes we have 2 girls, ageds 24 and 25, one in Melbourne, one here in Cairns about to leave for Melbourne, too quite for her here!

Keep me updated with your progress. Good luck

Karen:emoticon-signxmas:

• 1 year later...
Guest supernova1978

Hi guys Im Mike I will be arriving in Cairns in April I would like to meet up with people from the uk and with locals also. It would be nice to hear how you are getting on and to share experiences tips/advice

cheers

Hi there, we are hoping to make the move to Cairns, fingers crossed , 457 working for a local garage. How have you found Cairns? We love the look of the place, we have done a whv years ago in West Australia but haven`t been to Queensland -)

ps, missus asks what are the shops like ?

Guest bohlesover
Hi there, we are hoping to make the move to Cairns, fingers crossed , 457 working for a local garage. How have you found Cairns? We love the look of the place, we have done a whv years ago in West Australia but haven`t been to Queensland -)

ps, missus asks what are the shops like ?

Hi, We have been in cairns for 3 years now, and love it, it is very laid back, and very scenic, the weather is perfect, with winter being the best time, its quiet different from WA. We live in the city, but love the suburbs also. The shops are not bad but if the missus is like me and a shopaholic, then I would advise her to have a regular supply sent from UK!! But having said that, to be honest, there are a few shops, that have much the same stock as River Island! so I am happy. Every type of shop that you need is here in Cairns, along with some large supermarkets. In town we have a fruit n veg market 3 times a week also, and many fresh fish shops. When are you planning to come, and what work do you both do? Any questions I am pleased to answer. Karen

Hi there and thanks for the answer, I run workshops and do the warranty for main dealers, my fiance works in purchasing/admin and sap operator. I am being sponsored in (hopefully). We don`t have children , but that may change -). We will be looking for a duplex or townhouse in town, not too far from the shops -). How did you find settling in, gaining a rental etc? Since my fiance does not drive yet, what is public transport like?

Guest bohlesover
Hi there and thanks for the answer, I run workshops and do the warranty for main dealers, my fiance works in purchasing/admin and sap operator. I am being sponsored in (hopefully). We don`t have children , but that may change -). We will be looking for a duplex or townhouse in town, not too far from the shops -). How did you find settling in, gaining a rental etc? Since my fiance does not drive yet, what is public transport like?

Hi,

There are many units in town, for rent, just look on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au and if your in doubt about areas, just ask. settling in has been hard for us, but I guess thats part of emigrating for anybody, we now have a social life, and love it, being at work helps, make friends. Public transport is fine, buses are fairly regular, to be honest where we live in town, we dont actually need a car, for shops, restaurants, etc. Everything is in walking distance.

Guest arabib

My husband and I will be moving from Brighton to Cairns at the end of May.

We used to be Londoners ;)

I am originally from Sydney though so kind of cheating but never been to Cairns so very VERY excited.

I cannot believe how hard it is for a Brit to get into Australia - talk about Visa forms are us! How embarrassing for the Oz government!

All I had to do was practically smile at the immigration office in Croydon and I got my Visa!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest galton

Hey, yep there sure are pommies in Cairns, not too many that we have come accross to be honest but without being horrible we like it that way. We have been here for 3 years (nearly to the day) and like you, after a year wondered if we would ever make new friends and have a social life again. I understand what you mean by people keep themselves to themselves, you can get a bit paranoid but you will find the longer you are here the more relationsionships will happen. If you think, we established friends over many years in the UK and obviously feel like we would like to just pick up that type of connection as soon as we get here but give it time and it will happen.

My othe half is a floor layer and doing well at the moment, glad to hear that your hubby was not affected by the massive down turn up here, that's great.

You are in the city? We live in Bentley Park, I am 40 Paul is 45 and we have a daughter who is 8

If you ever fancy catching up give us a shout any time.

Hold in there it does get better.

Sarah

Guest bohlesover
Hey, yep there sure are pommies in Cairns, not too many that we have come accross to be honest but without being horrible we like it that way. We have been here for 3 years (nearly to the day) and like you, after a year wondered if we would ever make new friends and have a social life again. I understand what you mean by people keep themselves to themselves, you can get a bit paranoid but you will find the longer you are here the more relationsionships will happen. If you think, we established friends over many years in the UK and obviously feel like we would like to just pick up that type of connection as soon as we get here but give it time and it will happen.

My othe half is a floor layer and doing well at the moment, glad to hear that your hubby was not affected by the massive down turn up here, that's great.

You are in the city? We live in Bentley Park, I am 40 Paul is 45 and we have a daughter who is 8

If you ever fancy catching up give us a shout any time.

Hold in there it does get better.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

sounds like we have been here around same time for three years, unfortunately work been very scarce for the last 3 months :sad: but things can only get better! Would love to catch up, we are just in mcleod street, next to cairns central, so maybe next time your in town, we could have a coffee. Just drop me a line via POI. cheers karen

• 5 months later...

Hi karen and everyone else. My partner and me and our 4month old boy have just moved to cairns. I'm working but my partner is looking after the little one. How did you settle in to cairns and any tips? Where is the best place(s) to meet people. Cheers Alan

Archived