soild plaster from uk.. skill select question

steven106

i am looking through all of the visa information filled in the skilled assessment, and got good points looking at either a 189, 190 visa, going through the EOI and its asking for my qualification which is nvq from the uk, at this point am i trying to find some one to do the soild plastering assessment over in australia to give me a australian qualification or am i leaving that till later on?

i know i will require one from TRA OR VETTSSE but looked on both there websites and couldnt find anything to help me on solid plaster, so whats my next step? i dont want my skills select to be knocked back,

so do i get a AQF first then contiune to fill in the skills select or just do it as my uk qualification?

many thanks steve

You can't submit an EOI for a 189 or 190 visa without already having a positive skills assessment, 60 points on the points test and IELTS for the points you're claiming on the points test.

In Australia, Solid Plasterers are assessed by TRA. It's possible (though not by any means definite) that your current qualifications are sufficient to get you a positive skills assessment without any need for an additional Australian qualification so you should start with checking the TRA Migration Skills Assessment guidelines to see if your current qualifications meet their requirements. It's an ANZSCO Skill Level 3 occupation so you'll need the equivalent of AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV. I understand that a CERT III is somewhere between an NVQ2 and an NVQ3. If you need any further qualifications, TRA should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Migration/Pages/default.aspx TRA Migration Skills Assessment

TRA does it.

On the SOL, it says that TRA is the skills assessment authority then on the TRA website, it specifically mentions which of those trades and countries that the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) applies to. If a trade that is assessed by TRA isn't specified under OSAP, then the Migration Skills Assessment applies and that is done by TRA.

TRA does it.

On the SOL, it says that TRA is the skills assessment authority then on the TRA website, it specifically mentions which of those trades and countries that the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) applies to. If a trade that is assessed by TRA isn't specified under OSAP, then the Migration Skills Assessment applies and that is done by TRA.

ok no problem so my understanding is get in touch with TRA and get a migration skills assessment sorted through them, before i submit my skills select.. many thanks

Yes, that's basically right but you must also have 60 points on the points test before submitting an EOI for a 189 or 190.

Make sure that you fully understand how points are awarded for work experience because you can only claim points for experience gained after you are fully qualified. Given that and the fact that you only get a maximum of 10 points for a trade qualification, it's very unusual for a tradesman to be able to get to 60 points without having to do IELTS in order to be awarded additional points for English skills unless they're applying for a 190 visa and can also count 5 points for the sponsorship. In other words, you will probably need to do IELTS before you can submit an EOI under SkillSelect.

IELTS is a test of your English language skills. If you're from the UK or another English speaking country, you're assumed to have Competent English which is the minimum English requirement but you get no points for that. If you do IELTS and score at least 7 in each of the 4 components (Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening), you get 10 points for Proficient English and all 8s gets you 20 points for Superior English. There are heaps of threads on here about IELTS. Check them out because your chances of good scores depend largely on how you approach each component of the test. It's not hard, but you need to understand exactly what they're looking for and that isn't always obvious.

IELTS is the English language test you need to take if you either don't have a passport/citizenship from an exempt country (UK, Canada, USA, NZ, Ireland) or need additional points towards a skilled visa.

i should be ok then as am british citizen, and 32 with 13 years experience of on the job, i might not need to do,, we'll see

Archived