NZer moving from UK with family

hope73

Well there is a charge on that table for everyone including you, so yes but it it much less than for other visas . Not sure if you need medicals or police checks too.

It is thousAnds cheaper than other visas but it is not permanent

also consider getting UK citizenship if you don't have it first. It is now harder for UK citizens to sponsor partners to return to the UK. If you have indefinite leave to remain it does actually expire.

We're just at the beginning of this process.

Can someone tell me if I am right in thinking a Visa will cost nothing for me (being a Kiwi) and very little for my husband? That's the way it appears on this link.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/fees-charges/visa.aspx

Also, do we have to pay for Visas for children?

Cheap but remember these are not great visas, particularly for your OH. If you qualify for skilled migration it is worth a look and the extra expense.

You should apply for New Zealand citizenship by descent for your children if they are not already NZ citizens. If you and they enter Australia on NZ passports, you will get Special Category visas for which there is no charge. Your husband will be eligible for a New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461) which is a 5 year temporary (but renewable) visa which will cost $325. If your children don't have NZ passports, they will need to be included on your husband's 461 application at a cost of $80 each.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/461.aspx 461 visa

Thanks for your advice.

DH is snowed under at work so he wants me to get the ball rolling.

Can anyone tell me the first three steps to take?

I'm thinking:

1. apply for a points-based Visa for him

2. put the house on the market

3. ensure all of our paperwork is up to date (whatever THAT means!)

He'd like to sell the house here then move to Aus and rent a place whilst he looks for employment out there. Too risky?

Thanks for your advice.

I'm thinking:

He'd like to sell the house here then move to Aus and rent a place whilst he looks for employment out there. Too risky?

If you are going to get a skilled migrant visa for him, then you are better off getting that for everyone else too. The rest of you can stay there indefinitely, but still as temporary residents and most people do prefer to be permanent.

Putting the house on the market is not normally in the first three things to do..

Thanks for your advice.

I'm thinking:

1. If he's eligible for a points tested visa (he may not be - depends on his occupation), he will need skills assessment before he can go any further down that path. Once he has skills assessment and 60 points, he can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) in applying for a visa. After he receives an invitation to apply and lodges a visa application, the whole family should be included on his visa. That way, you will all get Permanent Residence when he gets his PR which is MUCH better in the long run than you and your children being in Australia as Kiwis on SCVs. Kiwis can live here permanently but they are not PRs in immigration and Centrelink terms. They never become eligible to apply for citizenship and there are several major income support benefits for which they are not eligible. You may never need those benefits (e.g. Newstart Allowance a.k.a. the dole, Youth Allowance when the kids get older, government student loans for tertiary education and so on), but if you do, you'll need PR or citizenship to get them.

2. It's usually a Very Bad Idea to put the house on the market until you have visas. I guess though in your situation, it's probably not such a consideration given that the Kiwi part of the family will definitely be able to come and your OH will be able to get a 461 without problems if he can't get a skilled immigration visa. Still better though to wait until you're much further down the track if you're going for a skilled immigration visa unless he gets a 461 to move here and holds off on going for skilled immigration until he's here.

3. Your paperwork will need to be up to date before you can lodge a skilled immigration visa application. Your husband will need a heap of paperwork for skills assessment

Thank you so much for your detailed response. We have decided to go for a skills based visa as he'll have enough points.

Do those visas usually take up to 12 months?

Why not move to Australia on the temporary visas that you get as NZ citizens/spouse, then apply for PR once you are here? We also moved over here as NZ/UK moving from the UK. The temporary visa is very quick to get, and then you can live here and rack up Australian work experience while applying for PR, also make sure Aus life is for you without so much expenditure.

BB

Thank you so much for your detailed response. We have decided to go for a skills based visa as he'll have enough points.

Do those visas usually take up to 12 months?

A 189 skilled visa won't take 12 months. The visa itself is usually about 3 months from when you apply but you need to add the time taken for skills assessment on to that. You haven't told us his occupation so I don't know how long that is likely to take.

BB so based on what you're saying one option is to simply sell the house and enter Aus on my being a Kiwi, rent somewhere or live in a holiday home whilst DH finds a job and we then find a house. That's very tempting as we'd love to be there before winter sets in over here, so by Oct/Nov.

But would not having some kind of work permit or the skills based visa restrict his ability to get a job?

He's a business analyst by the way.

I assume that you mean that he is an ICT Business Analyst as that is the only type of Business Analyst on the SOL. That occupation is assessed by the ACS.

If you come to Australia before he has a skilled immigration visa, he would need at least a 461 visa to be able to work and will find it harder to find work on a temporary visa than he would on a permanent visa. If he applies now for skills assessment, he could easily have a skilled visa before October.

Archived