RSMS 187 - then onto Maternity - then onto Citizenship. Hmm how does this work?!

OutbackPom

I've searched high and low on the Immi site and I think I've found my answers, I just can't find specifically whether these things conflict with each other! Can anyone help.

My situation by August will be this:

I will have been in Australia for 4 years working with the same employer.

I have been on 187 for 14 months

I will be having a baby in August

I want to apply for Citizenship in September

Then potentially leave my job - to become freelance and work part time for them and some other companies at my own pace

Obviously there's the 187 rules around me needing to be there for 24 months usually, is maternity allowed to be taken in this time?

Then are you allowed to apply for citizenship whilst still in your 2 years (I'll have filled the Citizenship criteria of being here 4 years and being PR for 12 months) - i.e does the citizenship rules override the 187, or does 187 affect your ability to apply for citizenship? Can't find this information anywhere!!

Your 187 will not impact citizenship, which you can apply for at the four year point. But note it takes six months or so, therefore applying in September will mean you are on the 187 until about March next year when it is granted. I am not sure why you would leave your job, why don't you just stay there whilst you are on maternity leave?

why don't you just stay there whilst you are on maternity leave?

They don't pay anything extra to what the government pays so in Jan I'd have to go back to work somewhere, I need somewhere that's more flexible, it's a really strict place where I work and I wouldn't be able to be a full time Mum and perform my existing role. They won't agree to part time or anything :(

Archived