Value for money?

Que Sera Sera

My wife wanted a cheap car for work so we bought a Vauxhall Astra diesel wagon with about 300,000 miles on it for £850 taxed for a year. We have literally spent nothing on it other than diesel in 3 years. No servicing, no oil, nothing. She wants a Mini now but is loathed to get rid of the Astra.

My wife wanted a cheap car for work so we bought a Vauxhall Astra diesel wagon with about 300,000 miles on it for £850 taxed for a year. We have literally spent nothing on it other than diesel in 3 years. No servicing, no oil, nothing. She wants a Mini now but is loathed to get rid of the Astra.

Result! especially with cars, that's some going.

My first Aussie car. Mazda bubble (121) Ancient but cute as...cost me $1500. Lasted years....5 I think.....never spent a cent on it apart from minor things and tyres. Then something went badly wrong and we scrapped it. Loved that car. Served us well.

My first Aussie car. Mazda bubble (121) Ancient but cute as...cost me $1500. Lasted years....5 I think.....never spent a cent on it apart from minor things and tyres. Then something went badly wrong and we scrapped it. Loved that car. Served us well.

That's so good isn't it? No need to spend loads when you first arrive.

I had one and loved it, they are so reliable and i would never have sold it but for moving here.

Cal x

You can't alter that mindset sometimes. It's often that mindset that makes everything seem 'expensive'! Just a thought...

I was was thinking the exact same thing. Same with housing, ooh everything is just soooo expensive no one can afford houses, I couldn't possibly live in or around anywhere for less then $600,000!

My first car was five years old when we bought it for £250 (it was a very long time ago..). I sold it five years later for £750.

Mind you, it had been practically rebuilt by my dad due the number of bumps and bruises it had suffered in those five years :rolleyes:

I was was thinking the exact same thing. Same with housing, ooh everything is just soooo expensive no one can afford houses, I couldn't possibly live in or around anywhere for less then $600,000!

Is it a coincidence that a few of us who are 'happy' here are living in lower cost areas/houses, living within our means and working out way back up or to where we want to be? Instead of wanting it 'all' from day dot. I'd be happy in my house that cost well under the state average price for the rest of my days though tbh...it's all I ever wanted and more

Is it a coincidence that a few of us who are 'happy' here are living in lower cost areas/houses, living within our means and working out way back up or to where we want to be? Instead of wanting it 'all' from day dot. I'd be happy in my house that cost well under the state average price for the rest of my days though tbh...it's all I ever wanted and more

Couldn't agree more.........although a sea view would be nice :wink:

Have you bought something cheap and it turned out to be the best value ever?

My washing machine has just died. It would have been 5 years old next month, it cost me $350.00 from Appliances Direct. I think I'm going to buy the exact same one again.

I know that it is a cheap price for a washing machine but 5 years does not seem very long to me. We live in such a disposable world now with tech products obsolete in 12 months. I would hope and expect a washing machine to last 10 years (is it just me?)

I know that it is a cheap price for a washing machine but 5 years does not seem very long to me. We live in such a disposable world now with tech products obsolete in 12 months. I would hope and expect a washing machine to last 10 years (is it just me?)

I absolutely know what you mean. It's never been fixed so I did think about getting someone out to look at it but I think it's the programmer, so not sure it's going to be financially worth it.

I absolutely know what you mean. It's never been fixed so I did think about getting someone out to look at it but I think it's the programmer, so not sure it's going to be financially worth it.

Its EOFY time in Aus:wink:

doubt with prices so low for buying new, it would be worth your while fixing it.

I agree. I wouldn't bother either because it is a cheap machine and something else would probably go wrong within a year or two. Cheaper to replace it in the circumstances. It just seems so wasteful really but a sign of the times I suppose and at least more does get recycled these days (in the UK anyway; assume it is the same in Oz).

Guest The Pom Queen
Have you bought something cheap and it turned out to be the best value ever?

Yes my hubby, cost me a bag of chips and he is still working, although I think I need to take out the extended warranty now.

I agree. I wouldn't bother either because it is a cheap machine and something else would probably go wrong within a year or two. Cheaper to replace it in the circumstances. It just seems so wasteful really but a sign of the times I suppose and at least more does get recycled these days (in the UK anyway; assume it is the same in Oz).

That is the problem nowadays, when was the last time you heard of someone getting a TV or DVD player fixed ? You go put and buy a new one and convert the old into land fill.

You can't alter that mindset sometimes. It's often that mindset that makes everything seem 'expensive'! Just a thought...

Or that mindset that just has to be different and "know better" he's so predictable. If it wasn't Oz it'd be something else that he had "hgher knowledge" of :rolleyes:

Archived