Citizenship - Different name on passport

Guest Happy1979

Guest Happy1979

Hi,

So I have just realised I am eligible to apply for citizenship now. Currently my UK passport is still in my maiden name and I would like my citizenship in my married name. Does anyone know if this is possible with just supplying my (UK) marriage cert, or will I need change my passport and delay applying for a couple of months?

Thanks for any advice

:-)

Guest Happy1979

Cal, thanks so much for your reply that's great to hear!

Can I just ask if yours was an Australian or overseas certificate though? Ive been refused credit cards and drivers licence in my married name because my marriage cert was not issued here!

Can I just ask if yours was an Australian or overseas certificate though? Ive been refused credit cards and drivers licence in my married name because my marriage cert was not issued here!

So change your UK passport! This is currently your primary ID document, of course people are not going to give you credit in another name. In my expeirence, it is bette to either change name or not and if changing get it over with in one fell swoop. I speak as someone that also did it piecemeal and it can get messy. I certainly would not recommend you have two passports in different names.

No it was a UK marriage certificate and honestly i have never had anything refused because of it. Everything official like my UK drivers licence, passport etc was in may maiden name as we married only a few weeks before moving so i hadnt changed anything over and ive never been asked or queried about it .

I didnt see the point in getting a new UK passport as i knew i would be getting an Australian one once id had the ceremony, so didnt want to waste the money.

Cal x

I'm also hoping to go through the same process. My Canadian passport has another year on it and it's in my previous name. I can apply for citizenship in October. Since I need to go through a more lengthy process to renew the Canadian passport and also change the name, I'd rather do that after I've already gotten the Australian passport (not sure the timing will work though, but I don't want to have to mail away my only passport).

Archived