Some advice regarding my childs citizenship please. :)

misstraveller

Hi!! I'm new here, and I'm hoping someone may have some advice or direction for me. I'm an Australian citizen and am returning to Adelaide in the very near future. I have renewed all my docs etc. I asked about how I would go about obtaining citizenship for my 12yr old. The high commission said they would have no problem obtaining it as I have been a citizen for around 35 years. But, I would need the fathers consent. I explained that the father is not only NOT on the birth certificate but he has never ever even met my child. The high commission said they could ask for evidence that the father has never been on the scene. .. I asked how can I provide evidence of something that's never happened but they couldn't give me any suggestions. Has anyone else experienced this? Was the high commission right in saying I will need further documentation or are they being over cautious? I really hope all that made sense.. any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

The Australian government takes the rights of both parents very seriously. I'm not sure what evidence they would require, perhaps statements from family/friends, any government documents that show you are the only parent on record, etc.

Thanks, yeah I know they are very hot on paternal rights. I was thinking about character references etc but other than that there is nothing I can provide. The birth cert in the UK is usually the be all and end all regarding the father. I can't think of anything that may be helpful. In the UK we have working tax credits and child tax credits - but I don't claim them. I work so felt I didn't need them (being self righteous came back to bite me in the bum) :)

Hi!! I'm new here, and I'm hoping someone may have some advice or direction for me. I'm an Australian citizen and am returning to Adelaide in the very near future. I have renewed all my docs etc. I asked about how I would go about obtaining citizenship for my 12yr old. The high commission said they would have no problem obtaining it as I have been a citizen for around 35 years. But, I would need the fathers consent. I explained that the father is not only NOT on the birth certificate but he has never ever even met my child. The high commission said they could ask for evidence that the father has never been on the scene. .. I asked how can I provide evidence of something that's never happened but they couldn't give me any suggestions. Has anyone else experienced this? Was the high commission right in saying I will need further documentation or are they being over cautious? I really hope all that made sense.. any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

A friend of mine was in a similar situation when applying for an Australian visa. His wife's ex husband was absent and had been for the whole of the child's life and also not on the birth certificate.

They produced a sworn affidavit from their country of residence to declare that his whereabouts were unknown, that he played no part in the child's life etc and they had no trouble at all.

In Australia they have Statutory Declarations which are similar, however it might be prudent to see a family lawyer in Australia to ask their opinion. They can also help you draft an affidavit/stat dec and assist you to have it certified.

Archived