Moving to Spain

HappyHammer

It truly depends on what you want from your relocation...............learning the language IMO is a must whether it be coastal OR inland.......we are after all in a "host" country of your choice so why not?

I live on the border of Granada/Malaga.............40 mins from the coast and 20 mins from the Sierra Nevada.........Sunbaking and Skiing all in one day :wink:

Sounds lovely. Actually I learned Spanish in college to quite a high level (I could take shorthand in it), so I'm pretty sure I'd get my hand in again. It's my oh who worries, as he feels it's too late to start learning languages in his 60's. It's not a thing he's ever had an aptitude for.

Sounds lovely. Actually I learned Spanish in college to quite a high level (I could take shorthand in it), so I'm pretty sure I'd get my hand in again. It's my oh who worries, as he feels it's too late to start learning languages in his 60's. It's not a thing he's ever had an aptitude for.

Never too late! My mil started (properly, not just asking for coffee, food etc :wink:) at 76, at the u3a! So much easier when you're actually living there too.

Tell him he's got no excuse!

I live on the border of Granada/Malaga.............40 mins from the coast and 20 mins from the Sierra Nevada.........Sunbaking and Skiing all in one day :wink:

Sounds wonderful - that's what we are looking for in France, near the Andorra border.

Off there to visit in Feb, mostly a holiday but as a reccie too as we have always ski-ed (or rather boarded) in the alps

France appeals more because I can 'get by' in the language and have a strong foundation to learn the language properly.

Sounds wonderful - that's what we are looking for in France, near the Andorra border.

Off there to visit in Feb, mostly a holiday but as a reccie too as we have always ski-ed (or rather boarded) in the alps

France appeals more because I can 'get by' in the language and have a strong foundation to learn the language properly.

A great location. It would be one of my top choices if returned to France. No such thing as no application in most cases to learn another language. All in the mind.

Hi,

This is my first post so go easy on the newbie until I settle in.:smile:

I am originally from the UK and have lived in Oz for 20 years. I am looking to move to Spain with my wife (Australian) and my two kids who are 13 and 14.

I would appreciate any advice or information from anyone out there that has made the move from Australia to Spain.

HH.

Looked at this option when leaving aus,, I'll list my observations in no particular order,

Unemployment is very high and even jigher for young people, don't know exact figs but certainly in order of 30-50% needs checking

Job market as a consequence is heavily slanted to spaniards of course,

cut backs in education and health services, health care good but structured differently to uk , aus, families do lot of support work,

away from coastal strip facilities are much more what you would expect in remote rural areas

If you are reliant on working then you would have to be fluent in language and there are dominant local dialects because parts of spain want to be independent and so are fiecely protective of local language variations and sometimes quite anti incomers.

Lots of spanish professionals and graduates are working in sth america because work is so difficult to get.

In the coastal /tourist strip lots of business options are controlled by brits/germans/dutch who have established themselves before the downturn.

Infrastructure outside the main cities is hit and miss with a lot of smaller places on very narrow mountain switchback roads.

Lots of people trying to scratch a living from bed and breakfasts, smallholding style farms and teaching english as foreign language

Do not know whether your wife and children would qualify for health care as they are not EU citizens or whether they would get it because you are.check

Housing is cheap but you have to be ultra careful about establishing that the property is legal as lot of property built that does not conform to regional planning laws altho allowed by local councils and illegal properties are being demolished without compensation. .

properties are selling for well below asking prices but double edged sword as no one can say if or when prices might stabilise and start to appreciate especially rural property due to droughts and falling agriculture produce prices.

Sorry to concentrate on downsides, we decided that work situation did not lend itself to making a go of it but we are a couple with one of us 65plus and the other 50 plus and not fluent speakers, hope points are useful whilst you are over.

Archived