The weather in Devonport Tasmania today

JockinTas

• 3 months later...

It's now autumn.  We have had a lovely summer of clear, sunny warm day.  Not much rain - a few thunderstorms and heavy rain two or three times lasting overnight.  The hottest day was 28C.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The weather was absolutely foul earlier today.  I was caught out in pounding rain and strong wind.  It was like being in a vortex. 😬  Shut the horses in as they took one look at the weather and decided it wasn't a good day to be standing around in a field.  I think that's the end of the lovely weather we've had for the last few months.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple enjoying a relaxing, sunny (cold) Sunday afternoon and one of our supply boats off to the mainland with produce from the local farms.  When it returns it will bring supplies for the local supermarkets etc etc.

SAM_1582.JPG

SAM_1583.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blue Manna said:

It's complicated, but you want to watch it.

I googled it.  Apparently it's a crime drama/black comedy about a woman placed in witness protection in Tasmania.  I believe it was filmed on the west coast which has pretty dramatic scenery.  Funnily enough the real Bay of Fires is on the east coast.

4 hours ago, Toots said:

I googled it.  Apparently it's a crime drama/black comedy about a woman placed in witness protection in Tasmania.  I believe it was filmed on the west coast which has pretty dramatic scenery.  Funnily enough the real Bay of Fires is on the east coast.

The different location was one of the things some Tasmanians complained about.

I thought I'd like it for the scenery if nothing else, but I gave up after the first episode. It annoyed me too much.  It plays too much on the idea that every local in country Tasmania is either eccentric or a moron, if not downright dangerous.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I thought I'd like it for the scenery if nothing else, but I gave up after the first episode. It annoyed me too much.  It plays too much on the idea that every local in country Tasmania is either eccentric or a moron, if not downright dangerous.

You me both

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I haven't seen it but it doesn't sound that good anyway.  There are a few eccentric folk around especially in some of those very small towns and I dare say there are also morons in some of them but there are plenty of morons all over the world.  Can't say I've come across anyone dangerous in my travels around the island but when my husband and I were well into the middle of nowhere/the wilderness we did think it would be easy to get rid of a dead body there as you hardly ever see another human being and the Tasmanian devils would make short work of getting rid of the corpse.  🙃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toots said:

It's a bit like northern exposure meets Ozark.

It's no "broken wood" that's for sure.

But I'm not sure I've ever stopped watching a crime drama because it was an exact replication of the type of people that live in that area. But there's no accounting for taste.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

But I'm not sure I've ever stopped watching a crime drama because it was an exact replication of the type of people that live in that area.

I think Toots has every right to feel insulted by that remark.  

I stopped watching it because I thought the characters, on the whole, were an insult to Tasmanians.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I stopped watching it because I thought the characters, on the whole, were an insult to Tasmanians.

I expect the people who live in midsomer are probably outraged by the high proportion of murderers that are portrayed in their vicinity too.

Not to mention Shetland. Plus they must be outraged after the brother and sister episode.

They call it fiction for a reason.

Plus, it was one small village in Tasmania. To assume that all Tasmanians are like that from that small sample is being stereotypical at best.

Edited by Blue Manna

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Water off a duck's back Marisa.  😉

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Blue Manna said:

I expect the people who live in midsomer are probably outraged by the high proportion of murderers that are portrayed in their vicinity too.

Not to mention Shetland.

I watch both of those (love Shetland, and remember I'm a Scot originally too).  The difference with Shetland is that sure, there are some weird/murderous/moronic characters (as there would be in any place IRL), but the whole island isn't portrayed as populated mainly by weird/murderous/moronic characters. 

In Bay of Fires, there didn't seem to be a sane character in the whole place, except the incomers. 

I agree with you about Midsomer, even though I do watch it.  Anthony Horowitz was the first writer for that series, and he stopped writing for it after the first series or two, because he felt it would be ludicrous for so many murders in one county. However, I find that series is very much played for comedy so I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

3 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

It's a bit like northern exposure meets Ozark.

Never heard of Northern Exposure or Ozark.  I rarely watch the telly.  Maybe I'm slowly turning into one of those eccentric  Tasmanian residents.  🤪 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

Just started watching bay of fires.

Is this typical?

As a very long term Tasmanian resident - no.  I intended to watch it because I knew most of the filming had been done on the wild west coast and I was interested to see that but it was so weird I didn't even make it to the end of the first episode.  I occasionally had a peek on later episodes but it seemed to grow even weirder.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Never heard of Northern Exposure or Ozark.  I rarely watch the telly.  Maybe I'm slowly turning into one of those eccentric  Tasmanian residents.  🤪 

We have spectacular nature, Toots.  We don't need telly.  😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skani said:

As a very long term Tasmanian resident - no.  I intended to watch it because I knew most of the filming had been done on the wild west coast and I was interested to see that but it was so weird I didn't even make it to the end of the first episode.  I occasionally had a peek on later episodes but it seemed to grow even weirder.  

To be fair I did three episodes and have gone back to the realism that is Dexter. Just started season 5. Maybe I'll drop back to BoF afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...