Who to fly with

mandymcqueen

Hi all

Well thats it the time has finally arrived and we are booking our flights tomorrow.

But the question is who to book with. We want to have a stopover in signapore for a few days too.

called singapore airline and I am really shocked that the baggage allowance is only 20kg per person it is never going to be enough. My brother in law is going to Cuba for a holiday and gets 40kg.

Anyway any thoughts on best to fly I will be travelling with a one year old. Wish me luck I think I will need it.

Thanks

Mandy

Guest JoanneHattersley

Air NewZealand and go via States. Baggage allowance is higher than 20. We had 2 bags each at 32kg per bag and that was 3 years ago so might have altered now

Guest claire&fred

Hi Mandy

When we booked with Emirates our baggage allowance initially was 20kg. Then they asked me to send them copies of all our passports which our magic sticker in. Once they received that they upped our baggage allowance to 40kg each. They just needed proof we were definately emigrating.

I hear great things about Singapore Airlines. You might even get on the new Airbus 380. We looked at Singapore but decided on Emirates as they fly from Gatwick which is closer to hom for us.

Might be worth giving Singapore Airlines a ring and asking if they can up your allowance as you are emigrating.

Claire

Thanks I will try but as we are travelling on a student visa I dont think they will up the allowance. I had tried that with Quantas but they said they wouldnt do it for a student visa. Problem is travelling to the other side of the world with a one year old I really need the extra baggage. They said that they charge £30 per kg if you go over ahh.

think I will just have to tell OH he is only taking what he is wearing that day hehe.

Hi all

Well thats it the time has finally arrived and we are booking our flights tomorrow.

But the question is who to book with. We want to have a stopover in signapore for a few days too.

called singapore airline and I am really shocked that the baggage allowance is only 20kg per person it is never going to be enough. My brother in law is going to Cuba for a holiday and gets 40kg.

Anyway any thoughts on best to fly I will be travelling with a one year old. Wish me luck I think I will need it.

Thanks

Mandy

If you have pr v. isa singapore allows double allowance on a unvalidated visa and I should get your bil to check his info. We went to Cuba last Oct and they were strict on the limit

malx

aka Bill nm

Hi

STAY AWAY FROM QANTAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I travelled with qantas with my daughter when she was 1 nothing but bad things to say about them. spirit of Australia my ar*e!

Your child being 1 will get a cot, I know Emirates give you 20kg but will allow you 30kg without charging and some routes stop via singapore

Good luck

I've heard great things about Emirates with regards to children. We too have decided to fly with them as they fly from Newcastle, saving the hassle of getting to London.

The airport at Singapore (Changi) has brilliant offers on transit hotel if you want to stay over.

I don't have kids so I might be totally wrong, but I would prefer to stop over at Dubai as the journey is pretty much split in half, whereas Singapore is a good 14 hr flight!....Actually, scrap that...it obviously depends on where you are flying to in Oz (Perth is only 9hrs from Dubai, whereas Sydney is about 16)...Where are you flying to?

Thanks for the advise, I will try and avoid Quantas.

Well we are flying from Glasgow and off to Brisbane. First off nobody seems to fly from Glasgow it is a nightmare.

I quite fancy Dubai but the only thing is I am not sure if it would be a great place for my one year old son. I have heard that Singapore is great with a big zoo and lots of other things to do with kids.

Has anyone used that excess baggage place advertised at the airport??

I've heard great things about Emirates with regards to children. We too have decided to fly with them as they fly from Newcastle, saving the hassle of getting to London.

The airport at Singapore (Changi) has brilliant offers on transit hotel if you want to stay over.

I don't have kids so I might be totally wrong, but I would prefer to stop over at Dubai as the journey is pretty much split in half, whereas Singapore is a good 14 hr flight!....Actually, scrap that...it obviously depends on where you are flying to in Oz (Perth is only 9hrs from Dubai, whereas Sydney is about 16)...Where are you flying to?

itself as hotels are reaSP

Hi

Singapore is app 12 hrs from London and 5 to Perth you get the big bit done first Emirates is 7 app to dubai the the 11 12 bit to oz yyou can stay over in singapoE hotels are reasonable we only had a 6 hour stop in airport as we were on a one way and had the rest of our lives to get over yhe jetlag

Malx

aka Bill NM

Guest Pinhead

Agreed. Going via the US to get extra baggage allowance is not such a great option if the flight time rises from 23 hours to 30+ hours!

Guest JoanneHattersley
Agreed. Going via the US to get extra baggage allowance is not such a great option if the flight time rises from 23 hours to 30+ hours!

Our flights when we went were London to LA (10.5hrs) LA-Auckland (11.5) and Auckland - BRisbane (3.5)

Flights were great! Loads of leg room and pleasant staff. It is worth it for the extra allowance. When we came we had 2 hours in LA (enough time for immigration) + we had 3 hours in Auckland!

Its a one way trip. Extra hours is a small price to pay if it saves you a few dollars!! Especially with todays exchange rate!

Hi tracy

So you think I shouldnt bother with a stop over. that was my inital thought, better to get it over with but the thought of sitting with my wee one in an airport for anything between 6-9 hours for connecting flights is the thing that put us off.

Anyone stopped over with children do you regret it? We were going to stop over for about 4 or 5 nights.

I just dont know what to do. Dont hink I will being going via USA if I have to pay extra then so be it.

I might actually go to the airport this week and see if they can weigh my cases and see if I will be over and by how much. then I can prepare myself for the cost or try and ditch some more stuff.

Hi tracy

So you think I shouldnt bother with a stop over. that was my inital thought, better to get it over with but the thought of sitting with my wee one in an airport for anything between 6-9 hours for connecting flights is the thing that put us off.

Anyone stopped over with children do you regret it? We were going to stop over for about 4 or 5 nights.

I just dont know what to do. Dont hink I will being going via USA if I have to pay extra then so be it.

I might actually go to the airport this week and see if they can weigh my cases and see if I will be over and by how much. then I can prepare myself for the cost or try and ditch some more stuff.

Changi airport is massive loads of stuff going on I yhink they have a kids area thingy chwck the websiite for more

info

hi once again,

im not trying to change your mind but if you stop anywhere you live out of a suitcase and you still have a long leg to go.

I always look at it this way what were you doing this time yesterday? as this time tomorrow you could be in Australia!

if you havnt been on a long haul flight before the seats and entertainment are alot better than short haul. to go to the extreme its like child birth (not that i personally have done it) once its over you forget the pain as you have something out of it

Guest Pinhead

Anyone who is travelling on their own or with their OH should consider paying to use the lounge during their stop over in HK or Singapore. Usually you get 1 1/2 - 2 hours between landing and take off which is more than enough time to get to the lounge and have a nice refreshing shower etc.

It costs around £20 a person but I assure you when you've been up for the best part of 20+ hours to get a nice hot refeshing shower is well worth it!

Plus sometime you get free internet access, food, booze,etc

Lounge Pass - Affordable VIP Indulgence

This company there is no membership fee, there are 2 lounges in HK (£19) & 2 in Singapore (£17), plus one in LA (£20)

Well my original plan was just to head straight there but someone told OH to stop in Singapore as it was great etc etc.

I have travelled long haul once but it was only to India which was only 14 hours and it was horrific. I swore I would never stray further than 2 hours after that.

I am not a great flyer either, well I was until that flight to india, 2 hours 40 minutes for the most terrible turbulence I have ever experienced.

How long is the flight to Signapore anyone know??

Archived