Geraldton, kalgoorlie and Albany

mr luvpants

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Alex & Kris

Hi, as a newbie just been spending last few times on he looking at different posts.

Saw this one asking about Albany , we are hoping to move there if our visa ever comes through.

Read your other post saying about u being young at heart & with a great social side always out kids grown up etc

my husband & i have been there twice, 1st time in 1992 when i was 18 & he was 22, the place is beautiful but not got the night life you would want we found Perth better. Nothing on "TOTS"!!!!!

We recently went over in 2006 now married & with kids, the place has changed alot but still not the the buzzing nightlife.

A very relaxed family town gets alot of tourism as right on the coast with beautiful beaches & views well worth a vists.

our main reason for going there is family, going to give it a go if not to our liking will try other areas thats all you can do.

Hope this of some help, c u are essex area too, so may chat to you if at the essex meet on the 13 july!

Kris & Alex

TRA all ok

MEDS & PC's Done

All paperwork in OZ

Just waiting for that VISA!!!!!:arghh:(hopefully soon)

Hi, as a newbie just been spending last few times on he looking at different posts.

Saw this one asking about Albany , we are hoping to move there if our visa ever comes through.

Read your other post saying about u being young at heart & with a great social side always out kids grown up etc

my husband & i have been there twice, 1st time in 1992 when i was 18 & he was 22, the place is beautiful but not got the night life you would want we found Perth better. Nothing on "TOTS"!!!!!

We recently went over in 2006 now married & with kids, the place has changed alot but still not the the buzzing nightlife.

A very relaxed family town gets alot of tourism as right on the coast with beautiful beaches & views well worth a vists.

our main reason for going there is family, going to give it a go if not to our liking will try other areas thats all you can do.

Hope this of some help, c u are essex area too, so may chat to you if at the essex meet on the 13 july!

Kris & Alex

TRA all ok

MEDS & PC's Done

All paperwork in OZ

Just waiting for that VISA!!!!!:arghh:(hopefully soon)

Thanks for that. TOTS.........you are showing your age now! Yep see you on the 13th.

JOHN

Guest tiff
Anyone live in either of these places and can give a rundown of what they are like please?

JOHN

I think we are moving to Geraldton if my hubby is posted there......He has to do a years secondment in a 'country' posting.

Tots eh....geesh!!:twitcy:

Guest adey
Anyone live in either of these places and can give a rundown of what they are like please?

JOHN

Geraldton is a 5 hour drive from Perth (north of Perth so hotter temps in the summer but warmer winters), Kalgoorlie is approx 6 hours inland on a train from Perth, think its an 11 hour drive or something like that (and gets very hot in summer - its mining region as well) and Albany is most probably about 6 hours south from Perth. All very beautiful places but very quiet and Kalgoorlie is in the gold fields so not much there I'm afraid apart from maybe one or two pubs and a small number of hotels.

Geraldton is a 5 hour drive from Perth (north of Perth so hotter temps in the summer but warmer winters), Kalgoorlie is approx 6 hours inland on a train from Perth, think its an 11 hour drive or something like that (and gets very hot in summer - its mining region as well) and Albany is most probably about 6 hours south from Perth. All very beautiful places but very quiet and Kalgoorlie is in the gold fields so not much there I'm afraid apart from maybe one or two pubs and a small number of hotels.

An Aussie mate at work, worked at the mines at Kal it was 50 plus in the summer phew . It takes some gettin used to perspectively the size of the place , In the uk i was lookin at a job at the steelworks at Kal been an early start for day shift from Perth:biglaugh:

Malx

• 4 months later...
Guest lol1984

Kalgoorlie is not an 11 hour drive from Perth, in fact its quicker than the train (7hrs) at 6hrs if you don't speed! I lived in Kal for 18 months and am currently trying to get back there after trying Canada for 8 months. Kal has brilliant nightlife, I had so much fun there. There is a great community feeling and everyone is really friendly. It has everything you could ever need except the beach. But that's just a good excuse to drive down to Esperance (great beaches and 4 hours drive) for camping weekends. Large ex-pat community and lots of sports to get involved with. We severely missed the mountains but then that's what holidays are for (stupid us only took 2 weeks off in the whole 18 months - should have explored more!).

Albany is pretty gorgeous if you love the coast but not sure what the job market is like there, depends what industry you're in. I think house prices are about the same between Kal and Albany so not really an issue.

Geraldton, I don't have a clue, just know its very hot.

Archived