Can I take ......

Barry1986

7 hours ago, Shire_Boy said:

Thanks, this is really helpful. Think we will take a chance with the wicker, declare it, and see what happens.

Just been googling how to change a moulded plug. Looks pretty easy. Might give that a go on some of my power tools. I kind of assumed that modern moulded plugs would be a nightmare to change, compared to the older style ones that just unscrewed. Only thing is I won't know if it actually works until I get to Australia and plug it in !

And yes, my wife did tell me that we can't mess with electrics in Australia. We are moving to NSW, and need a few light switches changed over. It's not really where my expertise is, so will probably get someone in for all that.

Absolutely. Anything wired into the mains is a no for DIY here.  I believe the rules have tightened up in the UK as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Absolutely. Anything wired into the mains is a no for DIY here.  I believe the rules have tightened up in the UK as well.

The rules in the UK have tightened up but as with everything in the UK brought in during the Blair years the caveats and exemptions means that it's simple for many to get around - Australia went for a much more clearer "not a qualified and practicing electrician then leave it alone"

(As an example the UK rules state that a qualified electrician or engineer is required to do mains electric work, well guess what they didn't specify what counts as an engineer so anyone with an engineering degree is fine to mess with electrics legally - they might die of course but at least it was legal)

• Like 1