Please remember why you left!

Que Sera Sera

:arghh:For all those people in OZ who have just got there. I am really hoping I will be with you in 12 months. In case you are doubting what you have done. Here I am, a summers evening its raining I am cold and I am surrounded by wet washing.I have to go to work tomorrow an hours commute, I will probably get very wet (I ride a push bike i cannot afford the parking in cental Bristol) I'm not a celebrity (GET ME OUTA HERE!):biglaugh:

Guest itskaren
:arghh:For all those people in OZ who have just got there. I am really hoping I will be with you in 12 months. In case you are doubting what you have done. Here I am, a summers evening its raining I am cold and I am surrounded by wet washing.I have to go to work tomorrow an hours commute, I will probably get very wet (I ride a push bike i cannot afford the parking in cental Bristol) I'm not a celebrity (GET ME OUTA HERE!):biglaugh:

I certainly remember the reasons why I left but as earlswood keeps saying they are also here too! they ONLY good thing here is the school. Be that a private one. We just could not afford it in the UK. I lived in Bath and Bradford on Avon and know Bristol really well (I went to school there). So, things are not all rosey here I can assure you! We are financially worse off that's for sure. I also commute an hour or so for work in the dark (work nights). It is so much like the UK it's unreal at times!

Will give a few years for the children's sake.

Karen

I certainly remember the reasons why I left but as earlswood keeps saying they are also here too! they ONLY good thing here is the school. Be that a private one. We just could not afford it in the UK. I lived in Bath and Bradford on Avon and know Bristol really well (I went to school there). So, things are not all rosey here I can assure you! We are financially worse off that's for sure. I also commute an hour or so for work in the dark (work nights). It is so much like the UK it's unreal at times!

Will give a few years for the children's sake.

Karen

Hiya to you. Husband was born in Bath,Batheaston and my son was born in Bath RUH so we know where you are coming from! Where did you settle?

even with some of the negatives life here is soo much better than in the uk for our family ,alot of the time its what you make it and i think we all agree only Earlswood could have suffered like he as ,lol,i think most of his problems are assosiated with the area he is in ,but unfortuunately he is tied there for now.

Cal x

Guest fatpom

Coming to Aus because you're disatisfied with the UK is a bit like changing jobs through disatisfaction (only with greater risks attached). It can turn out good for you or just as easily bad. Like changing jobs... the real problem can still be with you.

The best reason to come to Aus is because of some of the positive aspects to Australia and not any of the negative aspects to the UK.

Coming to Aus because you're disatisfied with the UK is a bit like changing jobs through disatisfaction (only with greater risks attached). It can turn out good for you or just as easily bad. Like changing jobs... the real problem can still be with you.

The best reason to come to Aus is because of some of the positive aspects to Australia and not any of the negative aspects to the UK.

You are a wise wise man Fatpom

Guest itskaren
Hiya to you. Husband was born in Bath,Batheaston and my son was born in Bath RUH so we know where you are coming from! Where did you settle?

Hi, I worked at the RUH for 10 years trained there as a nurse. Son also born there! We live in Mooroolbark on the Eastern side (off lillydale line). It's ok but wish we stayed in Bath! Well we lived in Bradford on Avon for 10 years. We still have a cottage there that we rent out.

If I had the same choice again I would not have moved here. Same problems, crime, etc. We certainly have a worse standard of living than the UK although few will have this.

where are you thinking of moving to?

Karen

Karen ,,can i be nosey and ask what makes it worse for you,have you never thought well folks seem happy in say Melbourne so we will try there and see how we go or do you just miss the UK full stop, and nowere can replace it? hope you dont mind me asking

Cal x

Hi, I worked at the RUH for 10 years trained there as a nurse. Son also born there! We live in Mooroolbark on the Eastern side (off lillydale line). It's ok but wish we stayed in Bath! Well we lived in Bradford on Avon for 10 years. We still have a cottage there that we rent out.

If I had the same choice again I would not have moved here. Same problems, crime, etc. We certainly have a worse standard of living than the UK although few will have this.

where are you thinking of moving to?

Karen

I would be heading back to Bradford on Avon - lovely place!!!!

We came here because of an opportunity not to be missed, not because Bristol (and yes, it was Bristol we eventually left from) was cr*p. We left in winter and we had had snow and all but our house was warm (not like many Aussie houses in the winter). We were within spitting distance of the centre of town in a very nice Victorian house which we sold for peanuts (how I wish I had had the forethought to hang on to it!). It is easier to escape the cold than it is to escape the hot and after a while when the familiarity begins to breed contempt, putting up with the constant heat is far more draining than having to rug up against the cold. At least the cold invigorates, the heat just saps the life out of you.

From this point in time I wonder why the hell I did leave!

Guest moonraker1961

Hi Karen,we live in Trowbridge so know Bradford on Avon (for those who don't know its 3 miles from trowbridge)and yeah its absolutely gorgeous.Also Bath,went shopping there last weekend and wow what a beautiful place,always in awe when we visit..I was born in Trowbridge and the surrounding countryside is spectacular!!Atleast if you want you can return to Bradford to live,there's no comparison is there really lol xx

Guest itskaren
Karen ,,can i be nosey and ask what makes it worse for you,have you never thought well folks seem happy in say Melbourne so we will try there and see how we go or do you just miss the UK full stop, and nowere can replace it? hope you dont mind me asking

Cal x

Hi Cal

I think I just miss the UK well Bradford on Avon. We lived in a 14th century cottage and regularly had picnics by the Tithe Barn 15th Century. The great Roman Baths. Australia has no history. I knew this before coming but the reality is different. I have never been to Melbourne. I miss going to the local pubs.

I am happy that 'other folk' enjoy it here but I don't.

And no, nowhere can replace the UK. I feel I am in 'no man's land' I don't belong anywhere. My family live in south Africa so it's not family I miss. Just our culture!

I do like Australia but if I think that we will be staying for the rest of our lives I start to get anxious!

This is how I feel anyway.

Karen xx

Guest itskaren
Hi Karen,we live in Trowbridge so know Bradford on Avon (for those who don't know its 3 miles from trowbridge)and yeah its absolutely gorgeous.Also Bath,went shopping there last weekend and wow what a beautiful place,always in awe when we visit..I was born in Trowbridge and the surrounding countryside is spectacular!!Atleast if you want you can return to Bradford to live,there's no comparison is there really lol xx

Hi, i worked at Lovemead GP Practice. I worked as a community nurse for a while so I know every 'nook and cranny' of Trowbridge! I like Trowbridge too. You are correct in thinking that there is just no comparison whatsoever to Bradford on Avon.

Where are you thinking of coming in Australia?

Karenx

Guest itskaren
I would be heading back to Bradford on Avon - lovely place!!!!

We came here because of an opportunity not to be missed, not because Bristol (and yes, it was Bristol we eventually left from) was cr*p. We left in winter and we had had snow and all but our house was warm (not like many Aussie houses in the winter). We were within spitting distance of the centre of town in a very nice Victorian house which we sold for peanuts (how I wish I had had the forethought to hang on to it!). It is easier to escape the cold than it is to escape the hot and after a while when the familiarity begins to breed contempt, putting up with the constant heat is far more draining than having to rug up against the cold. At least the cold invigorates, the heat just saps the life out of you.

From this point in time I wonder why the hell I did leave!

Sorry Quoll just realised you are in Canberra!

Guest taffy 62

Hi,

If you feel that strongly why dont you think about going back? I dont mean that in a nasty way.

I also lived in south africa before coming to australia, and i met some people who felt like you do about that place. They ended up going back as they could not adjust to the differences between the two countries, and were very unhappy cause their heart was in the uk.

Schooling for the kids is not everything, you need to be happy too.

If you stay too long for the kids, then as quoll has said in previous posts, you wont be able to go back and you will be stuck here and how would you feel then?

I know it may be hard for you to imagine that at the moment. but it does happen. I have experienced it myself. (luckily i am happy in oz now just not in brisbane).

The kids adapt to australia and end up not remembering the uk life, only you will have those memories, then one day you will want to take them back to those memories, but they wont want to go cause as far as their concerned austrialia is their home because they know nothing else! So they end up being little aussies and you wont want to leave them to go back so you will feel stuck here.

Sorry this sounds blunt but i know you like to say and her things straight down the line.

If i was you i would really think about what you want and where you think you want to be long term.

Take care.:smile:

Guest earlswood

Trouble is when you get over here you find all the crap you left behind in the UK is still here... be it crime, anti-social behaviour, crap weather - (more than you think), high prices crap goverment, etc....

Just being realistic folks.

Guest itskaren
Hi,

If you feel that strongly why dont you think about going back? I dont mean that in a nasty way.

I also lived in south africa before coming to australia, and i met some people who felt like you do about that place. They ended up going back as they could not adjust to the differences between the two countries, and were very unhappy cause their heart was in the uk.

Schooling for the kids is not everything, you need to be happy too.

If you stay too long for the kids, then as quoll has said in previous posts, you wont be able to go back and you will be stuck here and how would you feel then?

I know it may be hard for you to imagine that at the moment. but it does happen. I have experienced it myself. (luckily i am happy in oz now just not in brisbane).

The kids adapt to australia and end up not remembering the uk life, only you will have those memories, then one day you will want to take them back to those memories, but they wont want to go cause as far as their concerned austrialia is their home because they know nothing else! So they end up being little aussies and you wont want to leave them to go back so you will feel stuck here.

Sorry this sounds blunt but i know you like to say and her things straight down the line.

If i was you i would really think about what you want and where you think you want to be long term.

Take care.:smile:

Sure I understand that schooling for the kids isn't everything. But I cannot go back to classes that are 35 plus and half of them have 'special ed needs' etc and being constantly disruptive. Nobody can learn in this environment. I might feel different in a year or so who knows. All I am saying we are trying to do the best for our family. We thought it would be better here than the UK. All I can say is the school is, but nothing else. We are going back for christmas for 2 weeks.

I also understand that my children will grow up here and will not want to go back to the UK maybe. I'll cross this bridge when I get to it. I just don't understand at all when people say that Australia is all rosey when it is not in my opinion. I would love it to be. I am glad you are happy in Oz but it's not for me. However, there is nothing I can do about it at the moment. It has cost a lot to get here and it would be silly to go back after 6 months. If in 2 years I still feel the same then I will 'bite the bullet' and go back.

I am also finding it difficult in work as a nurse. a lot of the nurses (especially doctors) wear jeans and look scruffy. It is just not professional! I am only 37 so don't want ot sound like a middle aged old fuddy duddy but .. Heard a charge nurse in ED say to a patient 'shut the f *** up'. Disgraceful! Don't get me wrong. I can swear like the rest of them but this is done in the staff room! Not directly to a pt. Although you feel like this a lot of the time you don't actually say it!!!

England is so much more professional in lots of ways.

We enquired about a mortgage today. We did the application on line. I went to the bank and said we have the load approved in principal and I need to come in with documents etc. She said that it is a waste of time doing anything on line as they never receive it. It apparrently 'gets lost' in the system! so I had to fill out a paper application and start the whole process again!!! This is not a country that is going forward!!

Sorry to drone on! Just annoys me.

Guest itskaren
Trouble is when you get over here you find all the crap you left behind in the UK is still here... be it crime, anti-social behaviour, crap weather - (more than you think), high prices crap goverment, etc....

Earlswood. I think we ought to organise a 'PIO' Chrsitmas party. I think you and I will be the only ones there!!!

karen x

Someone please remind me why im in oz as i forgot, (soz im having a bad day with the ruddy school here in aussie land)

Vul885 - i agree with all you say - i very mcuh feel the oz is not a country that is going forward

stuju

Ok Earlswood I totally understand what you saying, but what I dont get is if all the above is in Australia and in England and you left England for the above reasons then why not try somewhere else altogether (different country). Why go backwards and forwards from the things you are escaping ? If that makes sense:goofy:

If you are going back to the UK as you cant live for instance without the family and the history then fair enough , but I dont get people returning for the above reasons

Well I know what I mean but I am sure others are thinking WHAT :biglaugh:

Guest taffy 62
Sure I understand that schooling for the kids isn't everything. But I cannot go back to classes that are 35 plus and half of them have 'special ed needs' etc and being constantly disruptive. Nobody can learn in this environment. I might feel different in a year or so who knows. All I am saying we are trying to do the best for our family. We thought it would be better here than the UK. All I can say is the school is, but nothing else. We are going back for christmas for 2 weeks.

I also understand that my children will grow up here and will not want to go back to the UK maybe. I'll cross this bridge when I get to it. I just don't understand at all when people say that Australia is all rosey when it is not in my opinion. I would love it to be. I am glad you are happy in Oz but it's not for me. However, there is nothing I can do about it at the moment. It has cost a lot to get here and it would be silly to go back after 6 months. If in 2 years I still feel the same then I will 'bite the bullet' and go back.

I am also finding it difficult in work as a nurse. a lot of the nurses (especially doctors) wear jeans and look scruffy. It is just not professional! I am only 37 so don't want ot sound like a middle aged old fuddy duddy but .. Heard a charge nurse in ED say to a patient 'shut the f *** up'. Disgraceful! Don't get me wrong. I can swear like the rest of them but this is done in the staff room! Not directly to a pt. Although you feel like this a lot of the time you don't actually say it!!!

England is so much more professional in lots of ways.

We enquired about a mortgage today. We did the application on line. I went to the bank and said we have the load approved in principal and I need to come in with documents etc. She said that it is a waste of time doing anything on line as they never receive it. It apparrently 'gets lost' in the system! so I had to fill out a paper application and start the whole process again!!! This is not a country that is going forward!!

Sorry to drone on! Just annoys me.

Thats good. At least you have set yourself a goal and you never know once you have got over the culture shock you may adapt to the australian life style.

It is hard not to think "In the uk we do this". Australia is a bit behind the 8 ball in a lot of things but it does have some good values too. ie good schooling, my Kids had a great childhood in school and are doing well for themselves.

Regarding the nursing, that was discusting! I agree dont lower your values to others. my best friend is a nurse here and shes from the uk and would never talk to a patient like that.

I hope you feel better about australia in the future, but it sounds like you have your head screwed on right and you have set out some guidelines for the future. You never know liking australia may creep upon you without you realising it and one day you may look around and think its not a bad place after all.

If you really hate melbourne so much it may pay you to try another area, not now but maybe in a year or two.

Take care all the best :smile:

Guest Working to fish

Something i would like to know, and apologies if you've explained this already, i've heard all the bad things from you about oz but earlswood what i would like to know is what made you come here in the first place.

eddie

Guest earlswood
Something i would like to know, and apologies if you've explained this already, i've heard all the bad things from you about oz but earlswood what i would like to know is what made you come here in the first place.

eddie

I was told lies by my uncle who has since seen the light and escaped Perth....fixed 2 year contract with a bonus at completion that I cannot afford to miss as it is my escape fund.

Guest Jaynie

It's not so much that we aren't moving forward, the bank has targets to meet for Mortgages and by you doing an online application it would take away from their figures, she would be using that as an excuse, but of course couldn't tell you that so made up a stupid story.

Archived