Dreamer 11

Hi There,

I have just been granted my nomination for a Skilled Worker Regional Visa by NT government. We were initially planning on moving to Perth or Adelaide as we have family/friends there but NT gave us the sponsor. 

We are a bit clueless on the suburbs/areas in Darwin and any help or information would be appreciated. We have two young kids, one aged 3 and a baby coming up on a year old. Where would be the best suburbs for us looking to rent a 4 bedroom property?  Ideally somewhere with good schools and plenty of parks.

Thanks,

G

• Like 1

On Monday, June 04, 2018 at 02:25, Dreamer 11 said:

Hi There,

I have just been granted my nomination for a Skilled Worker Regional Visa by NT government. We were initially planning on moving to Perth or Adelaide as we have family/friends there but NT gave us the sponsor. 

We are a bit clueless on the suburbs/areas in Darwin and any help or information would be appreciated. We have two young kids, one aged 3 and a baby coming up on a year old. Where would be the best suburbs for us looking to rent a 4 bedroom property?  Ideally somewhere with good schools and plenty of parks.

Thanks,

G

I would try and get as close to Darwin City as I could. It would be more expensive but Palmerston is a way out and IMO not very nice. Nightcliff and suburbs around there would be far enough out for me but still have things to do locally.

3 hours ago, Dreamer 11 said:

Thanks everyone! There is just so many little suburbs its hard to decide where!

My advice is, don't try to choose from a distance.  It's a very bad idea to take on a long-term rental before you arrive - real estate agents doctor their photos.   Just book an Airbnb or a holiday home for 4 weeks for when you first arrive, and go from there.

A couple of good places: Durack, in Palmerston. It has a good primary school, parks and a good golly course and the golly course ponds hold barramundi...if you like fishing.

The other is Leanyer. It has a beaut recreation park, with a water slide, cafe etc. etc.

Some places not so good are, Moulden, Karama and parts of Nightcliff.

I have been going to the Darwin, on and off, for better than 50 years. My son lived there for 7 years at Durack, hence the fishing...

Odd spot, Mum and I got married in the city registry office over 40 years ago. Maybe that’s why I like it so much. And, on our way back home to Kununurra, we saw wild buffaloes where Palmerston now stands.

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, joeperth said:

Don’t go anywhere near Palmerston, it’s really rough these days

That's interesting; since when? Last time I was there, Durack Gunn and Driver were very good, but that was about 6 years ago. Can understand the southern parts getting down abit, like Moulden, as I remarked previously.

I suppose it depends on the individual's perception of these areas.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Carol from Vista Financial

Hi @Dreamer 11

Commenting just from a personal perspective here as I grew up in Darwin and have family there still.

First things first, Darwin has a very casual laid back attitude and has two temperatures - (1) hot and (2) hot and humid, so be prepared! It is very multicultural and everyone lives in singlets and shorts.

Basically you have Darwin CBD which is probably the sleepiest CBD in Australia, Casuarina which has the 'big shops' https://www.casuarinasquare.com.au/home, and Palmerston which is about 25 mins from Casuarina which as mentioned above also has another shopping centre. Palmerston has grown in recent years and not as remote as it used to be. I moved years ago to Adelaide and things change every time I go back, I swear Palmerston has a new suburb every time I go there!

I have 3 sisters up there plus their families and my folks, all spread across Leanyer, Durack and Girraween. Public transport is pretty poor so keep that in mind for school runs etc.

Pretty much everywhere can be rough in places but not too bad in others so maybe take a short term rental and see what you think. Drivebys at night to gauge the area are a must. 

Living expenses are pretty high and June/July is tourist season so expect rental prices (and flights!) to be higher if you come over around then. The NT government has a huge push to get more people to go to live in the NT so am sure they will be more than welcoming!

Good luck!

Cheers

Carol

Edited by Carol from Vista Financial
Whoops, typo!

• 2 weeks later...

We've just moved here with a 1yr old. It will depend a lot on where you work. Some nice suburbs in North part of town near Casuarina Square which is a great shopping centre. Lots of childcare options too as the university and hospital are out this way. 

We got a friend to look around an apartment for us and send up to date photos. She collected an ikea order for us and dropped it in the apartment and we've moved straight into a great place on the foreshore at Nightcliff. 

We happened to go through Thrive property NT. Belinda was good. They have a property in Lyons which is very nice looking - we happened to drive by it the other day:

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-nt-lyons-423959614

Moving directly in was very useful for us and has worked out brilliantly.

I can have a look at somewhere if you like/I can fit it in. 

Do it! It's a beautiful place to live at this time of year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Dreamer 11 How exciting, we loved Darwin and basically it was a toss of the coin between there and Cairns. When we were looking there were a number of suburbs around Palmerston but our favourite was probably Larrakeyah. It probably isn’t the cheapest these days especially being so close to the CBD and the naval base. Cullen Bay was lovely as well. There were lots of new suburbs popping up all over and you have some excellent schools. Have a look at Nakara and Anula as I’ve heard they are excellent as well.

Here is a graphic I had saved last year

8A252225-A41C-48C6-812D-3BB1DC6B2AAF.png

• 2 months later...

You may be In Darwin now but this may be helpful to others 

I live in Darwin & personally if you’ve young family the best suburbs are Muirhead & Lyons in the northern suburbs 

new housing with parks plenty places to rent . Near the beach & Casuarina square the main shopping centre . 

Plus in Lyons is Tracy Village a local sports & social club , it’s nothing fancy but cheap food & has a great outdoor grass area for kids to play ok whilst you can sit & watch eating & drinking etc 

Although some nice new suburbs Palmerston is not for me . To much anti social behaviour out there  to far out I don’t like the look of it . Even in the nice suburbs people I work with who live there moan about the anti social behaviour.  The Gateway shopping centre is nice but small .

Most of the suburbs have a few average houses etc but probably better ones include 

Leanyer, Nightcliff ( but only near the foreshore side not near Coconut Grove side ) , Parap , Stuart Park , Bayview 

Tiwi & Brinkin are ok . Cullen Bay & Larrakeyah are lovely but probably expensive if with a young family  

hope this helps 

Paul 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 09:15, PFC1975 said:

You may be In Darwin now but this may be helpful to others 

I live in Darwin & personally if you’ve young family the best suburbs are Muirhead & Lyons in the northern suburbs 

new housing with parks plenty places to rent . Near the beach & Casuarina square the main shopping centre . 

Plus in Lyons is Tracy Village a local sports & social club , it’s nothing fancy but cheap food & has a great outdoor grass area for kids to play ok whilst you can sit & watch eating & drinking etc 

Although some nice new suburbs Palmerston is not for me . To much anti social behaviour out there  to far out I don’t like the look of it . Even in the nice suburbs people I work with who live there moan about the anti social behaviour.  The Gateway shopping centre is nice but small .

Most of the suburbs have a few average houses etc but probably better ones include 

Leanyer, Nightcliff ( but only near the foreshore side not near Coconut Grove side ) , Parap , Stuart Park , Bayview 

Tiwi & Brinkin are ok . Cullen Bay & Larrakeyah are lovely but probably expensive if with a young family  

hope this helps 

Paul 

Thanks Paul. Really helpful information. 

Cheers,

Gordon