Sydney’s Most Liveable Suburbs

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Sometimes it is hard to get a feeling of Suburbs and areas before you make the move from the UK. Here are the top most liveable suburbs in Sydney in order according to Domain. Also over the next few weeks we will be working on our Where to Live in Sydney - Suburb Guides. If you can help with any, please let me know. https://www.pomsinoz.com/articles.html/where-to-live-in-australia/new-south-wales/

1. Lavender Bay

Gold! Gold! Gold for Lavender Bay! This tiny pocket of the lower north shore is the most liveable Sydney suburb, with extremely strong scores for eating out, culture, proximity to employment hubs, shops, harbour views, topographic variation, public transport and schools. Residents enjoy outstanding telecommunications coverage, plenty of open spaces and relatively little traffic congestion. The home of Wendy Whiteley’s Secret Garden also gets a big tick for its tree coverage.

Lavender Bay. Photo: Christopher Pearce.Lavender Bay. Christopher Pearce.

2. Milsons Point

That toothy chap at Luna Park has plenty to smile about – he lives in the second most liveable suburb in Sydney. Milsons Point gets top marks for culture, proximity to employment hubs, shops, eating out, ferries and buses, education and open spaces. The only below par scores are for tree cover (or lack thereof) and crime.

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 27: International Outrigger canoe race on Sydney Harbour on February 27, 2016 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Daniel Munoz/Fairfax Media)Luna Park in Milsons Point. Photo: Daniel Munoz

3. McMahons Point

It’s a podium finish for McMahons Point, the third most liveable suburb in Sydney. This place is hard to beat in terms of water views, topographical variety, eating out, proximity to employment hubs, culture and public transport. It scores very well for telecommunications coverage, shops and the number of schools in its surrounds, but the crime rate is slightly higher than nearby suburbs.

Screen-Shot-2016-07-25-at-11.02.10-am-10Views of the Harbour Bridge from McMahons Point.Photo: Supplied.

4. Kirribilli

Home to the second official residence of the PM, and with good reason: Kirribilli smashes it out of the park for its harbour views, dining scene, proximity to employment hubs, mobile and internet coverage, culture, ferries, buses and schools. It outperforms most of Sydney on shops, open spaces, and train links, too. Only the crime rate was slightly above average.

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.46.31 pmJacaranda trees at Milsons Park, Kirribilli. Photo: James Brickwood.

5. Waverton

The lower north shore’s domination of the top-10 list continues, with Waverton performing well above average on every measure except crime. Full marks for open spaces, trains and ferries, harbour views, cafes and restaurants, shops, proximity to employment hubs and telecommunications coverage. It’s well above average for tree cover, topographical variation, buses, schools and culture.

Berrys Bay in Waverton. Photo: Dallas Kilponen.Berrys Bay in Waverton. Photo: Dallas Kilponen.

6. Wollstonecraft

Named after settler Edward Wollstonecraft, the nephew of women’s rights activist Mary Wollstonecraft and cousin of Frankenstein author Mary Shelley, Wollstonecraft is the sixth most liveable suburb in Sydney. It gets five stars for harbour views, trains, cafes and restaurants, proximity to employment hubs and telecommunications coverage and is average or above on all other measures.

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 2.58.18 pmStreetscapes in Wollstonecraft. Photo: Andrew Quilty.

7. North Sydney

The commercial heart of the lower north shore is a fabulous place to call home. It’s up there with the best for dining options, proximity to employment hubs, culture, telecommunications coverage, education, public transport and shops. Tree cover is about average and the only below-average score is for crime.

North Sydney CBD. Photo: Robert Pearce.North Sydney CBD. Photo: Robert Pearce.

8. Millers Point

The top performer outside the lower north shore and the best of the city and east group, Millers Point is the eighth most liveable suburb in Sydney. Rich in history and pubs, it’s a winner for its culture, proximity to employment hubs, shops, dining out, water views, topographic variation and ferries. Public transport is well above average, and there’s open space galore. The suburb could be safer though.

Daily life in Millers Point. Photo: Brett HemmingsDaily life in Millers Point. Photo: Brett Hemmings

9. Elizabeth Bay

Sneaking into the city’s top 10 most liveable suburbs at no.9 and second placed for the city and east, Elizabeth Bay is head and shoulders above most of Sydney for eating out, jobs, culture, telecommunications, water views and bus routes. Train access and open spaces are excellent, especially if you like water views with your morning coffee. The downsides? Heavy traffic congestion and higher than average crime.

Diners in Elizabeth Bay. Photo: Fiona Morris.Diners in Elizabeth Bay. Photo: Fiona Morris.

10. Darling Point

Rounding out the top 10 most liveable suburbs in Sydney and third for the city and east, Darling Point scores highly for culture, proximity to the eastern beaches, public transport, water views, nearby jobs and telecommunications coverage. It has great eating out options, tree cover, shops and public transport. Just don’t expect a smooth run during peak hour.

Darling Point in Sydney's East. Photo: Supplied.Darling Point in Sydney’s East. Photo: Supplied.

• 2 weeks later...

They could put North Sydney, Kirribilli and Milson's Point all together as they are next to each other. I had to check the map but I see Lavender Bay is practically part of those other three suburbs too. In 1979 I lived in Hayes Street, Neutral Bay down by the ferry wharf and I used to walk to Milson's Point for the train. Those Jacarandahs look nice in the photo of Kirribilli.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 18/08/2018 at 04:50, MARYROSE02 said:

They could put North Sydney, Kirribilli and Milson's Point all together as they are next to each other. I had to check the map but I see Lavender Bay is practically part of those other three suburbs too. In 1979 I lived in Hayes Street, Neutral Bay down by the ferry wharf and I used to walk to Milson's Point for the train. Those Jacarandahs look nice in the photo of Kirribilli.

Hello @MARYROSE02 Dave, how are you doing? We don’t see you around much these days. How is life in Sydney?