ASD

Eco

I am on the process of moving to Australia through 482 visa. I am planning to apply for PR in future, but I am worried I might be rejected as my child was diagnosed to have ASD. He is now 5 years old but he is functioning well, in school he needs 1:1 assistance in the classroom and during play time with other kids. Should I continue applying for PR, what’s my percentage that I might get approved or be rejected?

You are correct to raise this concern.

From what you have posted, it might very well (probably would) disqualify you. In medical matters - one fails, all fail.

Some PR visas have a health waiver.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advise about possible strategies?

Take advice from a professional agent.....like Westly......

You might get a temp visa with the medical issues BUT down the line the criteria for PR is much stricter. You may end up migrating then finding you cannot get PR after the 482 with all that implies.

This can and does happen with people having to move home again.

22 hours ago, Eco said:

follow-up question: if I’m gonna proceed with the 482visa, is there any issue on granting my application with regards to my son’s condition? 

Just be aware that the 482 visa is only a temporary visa, which is great if you and your family would like to have an adventure for a few years.  You might even manage to renew for a further contract.  However, at the end you'll have to go home.

People talk about "transitioning" to PR from the 482 visa - but it's not automatic. You still have to fulfil all the criteria for PR including the same health criteria which your son would be likely to fail.  

Therefore, treat it as an adventure.  Don't sell your house.  Make sure your employer is paying all your relocation costs there and back.  And make sure you understand the extra costs (like school fees and medical insurance) which you maybe liable for, depending on which state you're in.

Edited by Marisawright

24 minutes ago, Eco said:

Thank you.

yes, I do understand. What if by the time i’ll apply my PR, my son is already functioning well and graduated from his therapy. Do I still need to declare his ASD?

Yes, you must declare it because it's been diagnosed.  What they do is look at the potential lifetime costs to the taxpayer.  If you applied now, the projected lifetime costs would be high because your son needs so much assistance.  If, in the future, he is fairly independent, then that would obviously bring the projected lifetime costs down. Whether it would bring it below the threshold is another matter.

3 hours ago, Eco said:

Thank you.

yes, I do understand. What if by the time i’ll apply my PR, my son is already functioning well and graduated from his therapy. Do I still need to declare his ASD?

You know the answer to that, you don't need to ask. Of course you need to declare it, your son has ASD and things may improve over time but he won't suddenly not have it.

10 hours ago, Eco said:

Thank you.

Of course you do. He isn’t suddenly going to not have it. I’d say you’re probably going to struggle to get a temporary visa for him in the first place with a requirement for 1:1 support in school.

It is very important you understand that all you have is a temp visa and you may never qualify for anything else, regardless of your son. The occupation lists and other criteria change a LOT and regularly lately. It isn't unusual anymore for people to go on a temp visa and quickly find the criteria has changed and they are no longer eligible for anything else. So, you must assume you will be going home at the end of the visa.