Australian Dad faces Deportation

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I’m sorry but I still feel if they fail the character test then they should be sent back.

The hardest thing for the father-of-three is being away from his children. An 'Australian' man locked up in an immigration detention centre faces the prospect of being deported to a country he's only lived in for less than 13 months as a baby. Christian Feetham, a resident of Apollo Bay, Victoria, has been held at different detention centres across Melbourne since April after being arrested by Border Force authorities in Geelong because of his shaky criminal history. The 42-year-old was born in Read the full story

27 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

His kids wouldn't be without their father, surely the family can all move back to NZ if being together is the most important thing 

That's what I was thinking.  Wondering if his criminal history is more substantial than what's been printed.

• Like 2

Guest The Pom Queen
12 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

If he isn't a citizen how can he be an "Australian Dad"?

Very true,  they could have said an Australian’s Dad, if the children were classed as citizens. I also notice in the article they say his “Aussie parents....” but then go on to say they never took Citizenship. So really they are not Australian.

Guest The Pom Queen
3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

His kids wouldn't be without their father, surely the family can all move back to NZ if being together is the most important thing 

@Tulip1 well from his criminal past it sounds like he hasn’t been around anyway.

Guest The Pom Queen
6 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Something not right there in the news story. He was prison till 2014 and only been in detention for the last 6 months? So why was he picked up so long after being released from prison? Has he re-offended?

A lot of the article doesn’t make sense but then the media only pick things out they think will make a good story, often missing the truth in the process.

3 hours ago, JetBlast said:

If he isn't a citizen how can he be an "Australian Dad"?

Exactly. He's not, he's a Kiwi dad with an ozzie criminal history which includes assault. For that he can be deported to New Zealand, 

If the family are ozzies they can move over there to live with him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Exactly. He's not, he's a Kiwi dad with an ozzie criminal history which includes assault. For that he can be deported to New Zealand, 

That’s cruelty expecting them to move to Blighty.  Not a very pleasant solution 

13 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Exactly. He's not, he's a Kiwi dad with an ozzie criminal history which includes assault. For that he can be deported to New Zealand

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

That’s cruelty expecting them to move to Blighty.  Not a very pleasant solution 

What are you on about Bulya?  Read the post again.  Carefully this time.
So keen to slag off England you have managed to make a fool of yourself.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Very true,  they could have said an Australian’s Dad, if the children were classed as citizens. I also notice in the article they say his “Aussie parents....” but then go on to say they never took Citizenship. So really they are not Australian.

I read it to say that they are Australian but living in NZ when he was born but they never applied for Citizenship for him when they returned

3 minutes ago, welljock said:

I read it to say that they are Australian but living in NZ when he was born but they never applied for Citizenship for him when they returned

If his parents were Australian citizens temporarily working in New Zealand at the time he was born would he not just qualify for citizenship by descent?

1 minute ago, Gbye grey sky said:

If his parents were Australian citizens temporarily working in New Zealand at the time he was born would he not just qualify for citizenship by descent?

I don't know, but "The 42-year-old was born in New Zealand while his Aussie parents spent a short stint working overseas in the 1970s. The family moved back to Victoria when he was 13 months old." seems clear they are Australian.

9 hours ago, welljock said:

I don't know, but "The 42-year-old was born in New Zealand while his Aussie parents spent a short stint working overseas in the 1970s. The family moved back to Victoria when he was 13 months old." seems clear they are Australian.

Not necessarily - the article calls him an "Aussie" when he probably isn't, how do we know his parents were "Aussies" - they may have been from outside of oz and never taken citizenship themselves. 

One would like to hope that if he qualified for citizenship by descent, his lawyers would've pointed that out to him.......