How Hot is Australia?

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

People often say Australia is hot, but don’t realise how the climates change in each State.

‘Look at Queensland you can have the tropical rainforests from Townsville to Cooktown.

This 80 million years old tropical landscape is older than the Amazon and at 9000sq km is the size of somewhere like Cyprus. It consists of 30 National Parks and 2 World Heritage Areas, one of them being Cape Tribulation where the rainforest meets the Great Barrier Reef.

E8EAF2C3-6965-4B56-BF8C-A7A8363AFC34.jpeg

Then still in Queensland you have over 51% of the State suffering the worst drought ever recorded. 

99DFB8A2-BD35-4FCD-81E9-5FDABBD29354.png

99A5690F-C7F9-4D06-9EC5-6FDB1E16B792.jpeg

And whilst all this is happening in the North, Victoria can go from one extreme to another. One month you can have Bush fires and the next snow. In fact people often joke that in Melbourne you can have 4 seasons in one day, but they are correct, it really does happen.

B2C79364-C1C3-4874-B816-63B98106AD05.jpeg

23D85B60-61B9-454F-9D22-1D22CC8693F8.jpeg

You will find most retirees head North from May - November for the lovely warm weather and then head back down South for their summer.

If you are on a WHV and travelling I would also suggest you look at the months and do the Top End in the dry season and then head to the South of Australia from November until May.

So to give you some idea of what the climates are like around Australia we found this map which will hopefully give you some idea on what temperatures to expect.

E545BBDD-7E73-4472-8311-C8483DA111C5.jpeg

ED3D11F6-E96A-47A8-8CCD-089923503112.jpeg

This post has been promoted to an article

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

People often say Australia is hot, but don’t realise how the climates change in each State.

‘Look at Queensland you can have the tropical rainforests from Townsville to Cooktown.

This 80 million years old tropical landscape is older than the Amazon and at 9000sq km is the size of somewhere like Cyprus. It consists of 30 National Parks and 2 World Heritage Areas, one of them being Cape Tribulation where the rainforest meets the Great Barrier Reef.

E8EAF2C3-6965-4B56-BF8C-A7A8363AFC34.jpeg

Then still in Queensland you have over 51% of the State suffering the worst drought ever recorded. 

99DFB8A2-BD35-4FCD-81E9-5FDABBD29354.png

99A5690F-C7F9-4D06-9EC5-6FDB1E16B792.jpeg

And whilst all this is happening in the North, Victoria can go from one extreme to another. One month you can have Bush fires and the next snow. In fact people often joke that in Melbourne you can have 4 seasons in one day, but they are correct, it really does happen.

B2C79364-C1C3-4874-B816-63B98106AD05.jpeg

23D85B60-61B9-454F-9D22-1D22CC8693F8.jpeg

You will find most retirees head North from May - November for the lovely warm weather and then head back down South for their summer.

If you are on a WHV and travelling I would also suggest you look at the months and do the Top End in the dry season and then head to the South of Australia from November until May.

So to give you some idea of what the climates are like around Australia we found this map which will hopefully give you some idea on what temperatures to expect.

E545BBDD-7E73-4472-8311-C8483DA111C5.jpeg

This post has been promoted to an article

That is verily excellent.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

In 1983 during the Victorian Ash Wednesday bushfires I remember 43C and during the last bad bushfires Feb 2009 it reached 47C- I remember even the rocks on the ground were too hot to touch.  Every Summer you have to wear shoes on the beaches because the sand is too hot to walk on.

Yeah, that was a bugger of a day!

Guest The Pom Queen
6 hours ago, Quoll said:

Yeah, that was a bugger of a day!

I remember the day well. I can remember commenting to Hubby it was like being under a hairdryer with the heat setting on full. We were in the suburbs but still had fires and lost houses. 

Who makes this stuff up. Hobart is the same climate as southern chile! WTF

Record low for Punta Arenas in southern chile is -14.2ºC, Hobart is -2.8ºC

Record High for Punta Arenas is 27ºC, Hobart is 41.8ºC

Köppen climate classification for Southern Chile is subpolar oceanic climate, Hobart is oceanic climate

There is no difference in climate classification between Burnie and Hobart!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alltogethernow said:

It's very nice, and bearable, down here in Melbourne 🙂

ATN

Hah!

We landed on Jan 5th this year, the day after we had 4 properties lined up to visit.  We were pounding the streets in 42deg, thinking what had we done!   it wasn't bearable in the slightest.😄

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Hah!

We landed on Jan 5th this year, the day after we had 4 properties lined up to visit.  We were pounding the streets in 42deg, thinking what had we done!   it wasn't bearable in the slightest.😄

The good thing about Melbourne is that even on a very hot day, it's usually cool early in the morning and then it cools down again at the end of the day. 

What I used to hate about Sydney summers was that it was hot by 10am, and then it didn't cool down much till the early hours of the following morning, unless there was a thunderstorm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Hah!

I remember Melbourne weather in the early/mid 70’s.  Ice on the parade ground at RAAF Laverton in the winter, or being sent home at 3:00 pm as the Nissan huts used for training were just too hot in the summer.  Character building   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unzippy said:

Hah!

On our visit a couple of years ago one day in Ballarat was an unbearable 40 something and the next day the max was 13 by which time we were freezing in Daylesford. Anything over 25 is too hot for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh off the boat (plane obviously) I volunteered to help a friend of mine so he could be done for Christmas. He is a carpenter and was completing a deck, I come from a building/trade family so not completely useless, until I faced the 37 degree heat! Mid December just North of Mandurah with no breeze in the morning, pools of water everywhere. I learnt very quickly to respect the heat and my 1 litre bottle of water wasn't going to cut it!