Question about nursing experience required

Ross86

Hi All,

I'm currently studying to be a nurse in the UK with the dream of one day moving to Australia. Ideally, I would like to move as soon as possible post graduating. However, even if I sit the expert English test I will still be 5 points short of the magic 65 due to my age and lack of 3 years experience.

I was wondering, does the time I spend in practice during my degree count as experience? Furthermore, I was a carer for over 5 years before training to be a nurse, would this class as experience or does it have to be experience as a registered nurse?

Thanks

Ross

8 hours ago, Ross86 said:

Hi All,

I'm currently studying to be a nurse in the UK with the dream of one day moving to Australia. Ideally, I would like to move as soon as possible post graduating. However, even if I sit the expert English test I will still be 5 points short of the magic 65 due to my age and lack of 3 years experience.

I was wondering, does the time I spend in practice during my degree count as experience? Furthermore, I was a carer for over 5 years before training to be a nurse, would this class as experience or does it have to be experience as a registered nurse?

Thanks

Ross

They want the time you spend working as a nurse, without restrictions, when they are asking for experience... which cancels out student and carer experience as whilst they are noble posts, they are different to what a nurse does

On 29/10/2018 at 15:07, Ross86 said:

Hi All,

Thanks

Ross

Hello, 

Its only the experience you gain after you graduate and qualify as a nurse that counts.

However for the 189 visa, I found I only needed 3 months work experience to register for AHPRA and then did the modified skills assessment with ANMAC.

Other visas e.g. the state sponsored visas-you would definitely need more experience for them to even consider nominating you for a visa. 

I would definitely recommend getting more work experience as it makes you more employable when you move over to Australia. Otherwise you would be competing with Australian-trained newly qualified nurses.

Edited by PsychNurse
More info