Renting in NSW

Jon the Hat

Hi All

A couple of questions on renting:

1) The bond is I see 4 weeks normally, if you add a pet bond how much is that typically?

2) Do you also pay rent in advance like in the UK?  How many weeks is this typically?

3) Do agents charge fees to verify your references etc?

4) How do you do references if you have owned your own home for the past 12 years?

Thanks!

Jon

Pet bonds aren't set down in law, so the agent can charge what he likes.  The money will be held by the agent. 

Rent is always paid in advance, so when you first take on the property, you'll pay the four weeks bond plus four weeks rent.  

No, agents don't charge fees to verify your references. If you haven't rented for a long time, then get some general character references. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

We have just gone through all this as well!

we didn't have to pay a pet bond but do ask about strata approval, we made it a condition in our rental contract as they have the power to refuse the pet just like the landlord. 

We dont have water included as the property is individually metered but some of the ones we looked at it was included. They all included the strata fees as I believe the landlord legally has to pay this and the council rates.

• Like 1

I think we have decided not to take our dog. The practicalities of her staying here for about 3-4 months after we fly, the limited rentals available and the fact that we will no doubt want to be out and about a lot more in Sydney have led us to this difficult decision.  She might be off to become a police dog which is pretty cool and would be a great life for her.  Assessment some time next week.

Guest Carol from Vista Financial
On 20/11/2018 at 21:57, Jon the Hat said:

Ok next daft question, what utilities are included in the rent quoted?  I guess this includes an strat fees, water rates?  Anything else I can take off my cost of living list?

Hey @Jon the Hat

Strata fees/council rates/property repairs/anything to do with the actual legal ownership of the property is usually the responsibility of the owner, not the renter. Bond is normally 4-6 weeks of rent plus first 4-6 weeks rent paid in advance as @Marisawright mentioned.

Unless stated, electricity and gas are generally not included and you normally pay for either the supply or use of water (or sometimes may be both).

Best clarify exactly what is and isn't included with the real estate agent if not clear. If a private rental on Gumtree etc. they may advertise a price per week either without utilities or a higher price inclusive of utilities. If it is not run through an agent, make sure you have some kind of written rental contract in place still.

• 3 weeks later...

I paid 4 weeks bond plus 2 weeks rent up front, then rent paid fortnightly. It works as I'm paid fortnightly also. I'm regional NSW though, I have no idea what it's like in the city. 

Water is paid by the landlord. The odd thing in this complex is that the water is not individually metered, so a family of 5 could pay the same as an individual. 

3 hours ago, TiaCapan said:

I paid 4 weeks bond plus 2 weeks rent up front, then rent paid fortnightly. It works as I'm paid fortnightly also. I'm regional NSW though, I have no idea what it's like in the city. 

Water is paid by the landlord. The odd thing in this complex is that the water is not individually metered, so a family of 5 could pay the same as an individual. 

Yes, water is an odd one.  Generall, if you're renting a house, you may pay the whole water bill.  If you're in a unit, you will pay just the usage.  However a lot of unit blocks are not individually metered and therefore the water usage charges are apportioned according to the size of the unit.

Edited by Marisawright