Visa/immigration lawyer help

CallumCraigen

Currently on my second working holiday visa and wanting to apply for permanent residency. We have spoken to an immigration lawyer but they quoted us a much larger amount than anticipated, however did get two options for visas - the 189 Skilled visa and doing a visa through my partner who is Australian. 

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on either of these, mainly whether they think they requires assistance from an immigration lawyer or if it’s possible to just apply myself and have it accepted. 

If so wanting recommendations of any good/not dodgy immigration lawyers that don’t charge huge amounts (over $3000) on top of the already steep visa application fees. 

Thanks 

It is a bit of a mix. If you are certain you meet the requirements for a partner visa such as proving a de facto relationship, then it is fine to do yourself. But, a partner visa is more expensive. But, a skilled visa, while cheaper, I recommend using an agent, a fee of $3000 would be about right. 

I was on  my phone when I replied earlier. To amplify - a partner visa is more expensive but provided your relationship is genuine and you've been together long enough, it is more predictable.

If you apply for a 189, you need to have all the qualifications and experience necessary, AND you need to have enough points. The 189 is competitive:  they don't process applications in the order they arrive, they cherry-pick the ones with the highest points first. And of course, new applications are coming in all the time.    You get situations like the accountants' queue, where there is such a constant flow of applicants with 70 or 75 points, no one with lower points ever gets invited.

The partner visa is a lot of work but you've got to do most of it anyway, even if you have an agent:

https://www.theaussieflashpacker.com/2016/01/how-our-australian-partner-visa-was-granted-in-six-months.html

On 16/11/2018 at 20:26, CallumCraigen said:

Currently on my second working holiday visa and wanting to apply for permanent residency. We have spoken to an immigration lawyer but they quoted us a much larger amount than anticipated, however did get two options for visas - the 189 Skilled visa and doing a visa through my partner who is Australian. 

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on either of these, mainly whether they think they requires assistance from an immigration lawyer or if it’s possible to just apply myself and have it accepted. 

It really depends on your specific situation.

A 189 would be preferable as it is quicker and you receive PR straight away. The problem is that it is a points tested EOI system, so your chance of getting invited will depend on a number of factors, including your occupation and how many points you score. Lodgement fees are cheaper than a partner visa, although you will need to do a skills assessment, English test and EOI, which are not required for a partner visa.

A partner visa is two stage, meaning you first get a provisional visa, before being assessed for a permanent visa. The provisional stage currently takes up to 2 years to process. The permanent stage can take a further 2 years. As such, it can take up to 4 years before you get PR.

On 16/11/2018 at 20:26, CallumCraigen said:

If so wanting recommendations of any good/not dodgy immigration lawyers that don’t charge huge amounts (over $3000) on top of the already steep visa application fees. 

$3,000 is quite reasonable for either a 189 or Partner visa, considering the amount of work involved.

If you are looking to go cheaper, you will be looking at either a very new Agent or someone who is unregistered (i.e doing it illegally).

You should put it in perspective: You are going to pay the Government over $7,000 (partner visa) plus the costs of medicals, Police clearances, etc and potentially wait 2 years for the Government to process the application. Currently partner visas are being refused in record numbers. Are you prepared to risk your future and such a large sum of money, rather than paying a professional to prepare, manage and guide you through the process?

• Like 1