Money Exchange.

Kenneth Wragg

Transfer most of your funds with Moneycorp. Get some Australian dollars from your bank before you leave for immediate use when you arrive.  
I wouldn't do that. You can get better rates else where. A standard HSBC international transfer is an example.

OP - I don't think you can get better by doing that.

10 hours ago, Kenneth Wragg said:

Marisa.

i did open a account based on what you told me before, but the Aus$  exchange is low here in U.K. so wondered if I brought some cash to exchange in Adelaide if the rate improved.

Thanks again for you help/ advice.

KGW.

I’m pretty sure you can transfer the money to Moneycorp in pounds then wait for a better exchange rate before you convert it, Give them a call.

The exchange rate won’t be any better in Australia but it does vary from day to days 

Edited by Marisawright

I fail to see how anyone can improve on moneycorp. They give you a rate approx. 1% less than the actual interbank rate which nobody can get. Retail banks charge about 4%.

The reason the rates offered are poor is because the pound tanked massively when Teresa opened her gob on about 14th November. When the MPs vote no to the EU-UK deal next week it will tank again.

For my recent trip to Aus I opened a free standard account with Revolut which allows you to exchange £5k per month at the interbank exchange rate.  

I also opened an account with WestPac which offered $50 for people who moving to Australia and opened a new bank account with them and deposited $250.  Though I'm sure other banks offer similar.

I then did several transfers from my Revolut account to my WestPac account in the weeks leading up to the trip.

Shortly after arrival I went to the local branch to complete the setup of my account.  My debit card was then ready ~5 working days after.  In the meantime I withdrew money at the bank itself.  

Points to note.  Not all bank branches open at the weekend (check online).  Transfers should be done during the week i.e. not at the weekend - surcharge out of trading hours (I think). 

No fees.  Interbank exchange rate.  +$50.

No issues as far as I'm aware.

Regards

BFB