Studying to be an accountant - what visa?

sophiee97

Hi All,

I am looking to fly out to Aus next September and was just looking for any advice. I currently work as a trainee accountant in the UK and I am qualifying towards my AAT (this will be complete in July). I know that with AAT if I was to study with an English accounting board I would have exemptions and would not require a degree to do so. Because of this I was hoping to start studying CIMA around that time too.

Since doing my research I have found out that I won't be able to study CIMA on a student visa as this is an online course so I would not qualify. As I can't qualify for this I was hoping that I could study it in my free time on a WHV and just sit the exams as and when required - would this be possible?

Or would I be better off scrapping the plan of studying CIMA and instead studying at a university and aiming towards an Australian accounting board, as the goal would be to move out there in the end as a qualified accountant?

Sorry for all the questions - seem to have hit a dead end at the moment

You should be able to do that on a WHV.

However afterwards getting a skilled visa will be an issue. Experienced accountants struggle to get visas due to the number of applications, I am not sure you will be even eligible for a skilled visa but if you was I doubt you would be able to get enough points to be invited.

Someone who knows more about it than me should be able to explain further.

4 hours ago, JetBlast said:

You should be able to do that on a WHV.

However afterwards getting a skilled visa will be an issue. Experienced accountants struggle to get visas due to the number of applications, I am not sure you will be even eligible for a skilled visa but if you was I doubt you would be able to get enough points to be invited.

Someone who knows more about it than me should be able to explain further.

I've looked further and seen that I can only study for 4 months of a WHV - does this mean that even though it doesn't qualify towards the Student visa I still wouldn't be able to study CIMA because it would take me well over a year to complete all of the exams?

9 hours ago, sophiee97 said:

Hi All,

I am looking to fly out to Aus next September and was just looking for any advice. I currently work as a trainee accountant in the UK and I am qualifying towards my AAT (this will be complete in July). I know that with AAT if I was to study with an English accounting board I would have exemptions and would not require a degree to do so. Because of this I was hoping to start studying CIMA around that time too.

Since doing my research I have found out that I won't be able to study CIMA on a student visa as this is an online course so I would not qualify. As I can't qualify for this I was hoping that I could study it in my free time on a WHV and just sit the exams as and when required - would this be possible?

Or would I be better off scrapping the plan of studying CIMA and instead studying at a university and aiming towards an Australian accounting board, as the goal would be to move out there in the end as a qualified accountant?

Sorry for all the questions - seem to have hit a dead end at the moment

Hey if you are looking to move here permanently than you should go to university here to study accounting. After study you will get 2 year post study visa, in which you can get work experience and have enough points to apply for permanent residency. If you are coming for short term and will be going back to UK then do the CIMA. As it is online course, you can study as much as you want and yes you won't be qualify for student visa. On another note, Its pretty expensive to study here as international student.For university degree you are looking at at least £50000. I am not sure if you can get student finance to study oversees

5 hours ago, garrychandi said:

Hey if you are looking to move here permanently than you should go to university here to study accounting. After study you will get 2 year post study visa, in which you can get work experience and have enough points to apply for permanent residency. If you are coming for short term and will be going back to UK then do the CIMA. As it is online course, you can study as much as you want and yes you won't be qualify for student visa. On another note, Its pretty expensive to study here as international student.For university degree you are looking at at least £50000. I am not sure if you can get student finance to study oversees

Although unaffordable for most a degree course in Australia would give the best chance of permanent residency. You need to be aware that in Australia Accounting qualifications are back to front. A person with a degree in accounting is considered to be a qualified accountant (whereas in the UK with a degree but without a professional qualification they would be termed an "unqualified accountant"). A professional qualification on top of the degree is obviously best but the degree is looked on as the higher qualification!

What is your goal in life?  If your goal is to move permanently to Australia, then I suggest you stop and reconsider your plans, because you're aiming at the wrong profession.

You probably know that to be eligible for a permanent visa, you need to score a certain number of points.  Right now it's 65 points.   However, it's not a "first in, first served" system - it's a competition.  They invite the people with the most points first.  Right now, if you were an accountant applying with 65 points, you would never ever get invited - there are so many other accountants with 75 or 80 points constantly being added to the queue, and they will always leapfrog over you.  

That's the situation now, and it's getting worse, because there are thousands of Malaysian Chinese and Indian accountants flooding the queue.  It's so bad that (as VeryStormy says), the government has flagged accountancy for removal from the occupation list altogether.

Of course, you can come to Australia on a student visa, and then (if you've done two years full-time study in an eligible degree course) you can get a post-study visa for another 18 months. 

But at the end of that time, where will you be?  If, at that point, accountancy has been removed from the lists, you will have to go home. There will be no other option open to you, except perhaps an employer-sponsored contract - which will be for only 2 or 4 years, and then you'll be in the same boat again.  Having studied in Australia gives you no advantage.  

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks everyone for your input and advice! As I am only young (21), I think I will probably get myself a WHV next year and take a year out to ensure the Australia is definitely the place I see myself ending up and then will be able to make further decisions on my career 🙂

• Like 2

If you undertake work on a WHV (or any other visa with work rights) for which your duties are 'closely related' to the duties of an accountant, as disclosed by ANZSCO, you will not be able to claim  Australian work experience points unless you were qualified at the time.

On 24/12/2018 at 22:35, sophiee97 said:

Thanks everyone for your input and advice! As I am only young (21), I think I will probably get myself a WHV next year and take a year out to ensure the Australia is definitely the place I see myself ending up and then will be able to make further decisions on my career 🙂

Excellent choice. Have a bit of fun here too. travel around as much as you can - it's absolutely huge and so wonderfully diverse.