Family benefits while having permanent residency

sameerpatellondon2009

Just now, sameerpatellondon2009 said:

Hi

I have got PR and having baby in this month now my question is that is there any effect on my citizenship next year while having family benefits from Centrelink during permanent residency ?

please reply me

thanks a lot

sameer 

Why should there be? Permanent residents are allowed to claim certain benefits. The only time it would affect citizenship applications is if you make fraudulent claims. 

thanks a lot for your quick reply

As we have been told from hospital staff and centrelink staff that you are both entitle to have certain benefits and as we had baby last week so we would have some parental leave benefits and other family benefits as those are very clear and precise claims, no any chance to make fraudulent claims.

thanks a lot once again 

Sameer 

If you have been advised by Centrelink staff you are entitled, make an appointment with them to get a full idea of what is claimable, and not. Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

If you were at PR visa holder at the time of your baby’s birth you are entitled to paid parental leave (providing you meet the eligibility requirements set out under the terms regarding work and income etc)

You may also be entitled to other family benefits based on your family income etc.

Best to go to Centrelink, sit down with someone who can advise based on your personal circumstances. You have until your baby is 1 to claim PPL and to receive all the payments they need to start at the latest 18 weeks before his/her 1st birthday. I’d get onto it now tbh. 

Congratulations on your new addition.

33 minutes ago, Wonderingaloud said:

If you were at PR visa holder at the time of your baby’s birth you are entitled to paid parental leave (providing you meet the eligibility requirements set out under the terms regarding work and income etc)

You may also be entitled to other family benefits based on your family income etc.

Best to go to Centrelink, sit down with someone who can advise based on your personal circumstances. You have until your baby is 1 to claim PPL and to receive all the payments they need to start at the latest 18 weeks before his/her 1st birthday. I’d get onto it now tbh. 

Congratulations on your new addition.

thanks a lot for your suggestions and wishes, I have met to Centrelink staff and got enough information for claim and I was just wondering that is there any effect of citizenship when we apply ?

7 minutes ago, sameerpatellondon2009 said:

thanks for your valuable information, I will apply for those claims through centrelink but I was thinking if I get those claims so it will be more hard to get citizenship

No they don’t affect citizenship if claimed legally, which you will be. I claimed family benefits and had rent assistance for a period of time as well. No problems getting citizenship. 

Good luck and congratulations!

13 hours ago, sameerpatellondon2009 said:

thanks for your valuable information, I will apply for those claims through centrelink but I was thinking if I get those claims so it will be more hard to get citizenship

Definitely not. Don't listen to people who say that claiming benefits will affect your citizenship.  They are wrong!   If you are a permanent resident and you are genuinely entitled to the benefits, then there will be no problems at all

Edited by Marisawright