Getting skilled work on a working holiday visa?

brucey646

Hi

Im 28 and a welder and was looking at coming to Australia on a working holiday visa just to see if i like it before applying for a skilled 189 visa. Am i likely to get work as a welder on this visa or are employers not really intrested as your not on a long term visa? Any help would be great thanks

It will be possible but not necessarily easy. I got skilled IT work back in 2011 whilst on a WHV. I also met other people who had managed it. There might be short term opportunities for projects. I am not sure if you need any specific qualifications / licences to do welding in Australia though.

8 hours ago, brucey646 said:

Thanks for the reply. Id expect to do a weld test anyway as you need to do that for any company but im going to do my skills assesment anyway before i go so all my qualifications are Australian recognised so hopefully that would help

If your qualifications are not from Australia, then Vetassess will give you Cert 3 for your occupation which will definitely help you getting the job

This sounds like bad news:

https://www.seek.com.au/career-guide/role/welder

It looks like you need a Certificate AND to do an apprenticeship before you can work as a welder in Australia.  

That sounds similar to an electrician.  If it is, then I know electricians basically have to do their apprenticeship again when they get to Australia, working as an assistant to a qualified electrician for a year.  It's something that catches a lot of people out - they arrive in Australia thinking, I've done my skills assessment so I'm right to go - and then they find they have to work on minimum wage for a whole year before they can set up in business.

If your qualifications are not from Australia, then Vetassess will give you Cert 3 for your occupation which will definitely help you getting the job
This is the assesment im going to do (vetassess). Im just hoping that this will cover everything and that i dont need to do a year as a assistent like what marisawright has said

1 hour ago, brucey646 said:
7 hours ago, garrychandi said:

This is the assesment im going to do (vetassess). Im just hoping that this will cover everything and that i dont need to do a year as a assistent like what marisawright has said

Electrician and plumbers are licensed occupation so they have to do apprenticeship to fill the gaps in their knowledge(eg Australian wiring rules etc). Your occupation is not licensed so you can work unsupervised. If you already worked in your home country then there is not any requirement to do your training again.