Selling UK home to buy in Australia

Aussiebird

Hello,

Can anyone advise please?

If one sells a property the UK and transfers the money into an Australian bank account (which we have), to buy a property in Australia,  would the lump sum be taxed?

We are really not in favour of renting as want to own our first property in Australia when we move back. 

We hope to find jobs as quickly as possible but would we be expected to live off the money from the sale of our UK home? We have no savings. 

My husband would come over on a Partner Visa so i know he is entitled to Medicare etc....but cant remember about Centrelink whilst looking for employment?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you in advance.

12 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Hello,

If one sells a property the UK and transfers the money into an Australian bank account (which we have), to buy a property in Australia,  would the lump sum be taxed?

We are really not in favour of renting as want to own our first property in Australia when we move back. 

We hope to find jobs as quickly as possible but would we be expected to live off the money from the sale of our UK home? We have no savings. 

My husband would come over on a Partner Visa so i know he is entitled to Medicare etc....but cant remember about Centrelink whilst looking for employment?

Thank you in advance.

No, the lump sum is not taxed. You may be thinking of Capital Gain Tax (but this is based on the profit you make on a property sale not the amount of the lump sum) but as it's your home that'll be exempt.

Most Centrelink benefits (including the jobseekers allowance) have a 2 year residency requirement and an assets test so your husband wouldn't me eligible. If you have children however you can still claim Family benefits as these don't have the restrictions and are only assessed on your income.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

Not necessarily.

Have a read of

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/4/6/3/80

And it may be worth giving them a call, as the timing of events may be important.

If you delay the sale of the UK property for some time there may be tax implications. But with brexit it is unlikely that you will have currency or capital gains in the short term.

6 hours ago, Ken said:

No, the lump sum is not taxed. You may be thinking of Capital Gain Tax (but this is based on the profit you make on a property sale not the amount of the lump sum) but as it's your home that'll be exempt.

Most Centrelink benefits (including the jobseekers allowance) have a 2 year residency requirement and an assets test so your husband wouldn't me eligible. If you have children however you can still claim Family benefits as these don't have the restrictions and are only assessed on your income.

Thanks Ken. So with no job to start on arrival in Australia my husband wouldnt get job seekers allowanace whilst looking for work? Have things changed because im sure he got it when we last lived in Australia as he got permananet residency straight away on his 309/100 partner visa. As soon as he found work it stopped. Im an Australian Citizen so i got it too until i found work, which thankfully didnt take long. 

6 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thanks Ken. So with no job to start on arrival in Australia my husband wouldnt get job seekers allowanace whilst looking for work? Have things changed because im sure he got it when we last lived in Australia as he got permananet residency straight away on his 309/100 partner visa. As soon as he found work it stopped. Im an Australian Citizen so i got it too until i found work, which thankfully didnt take long. 

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/newstart-allowance/who-can-get-it

16 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

There's an exemption for Australian citizens which is why you would have got it but I'm not aware of an exemption for 309/100 partner visas. However the regulations change all the time so may well have been different when you last lived in Australia. Amongst the recent changes for visa's issued after 1 January 2019 most waiting periods are extended from 2 years to 4 years and there is now a one year waiting period for Family Benefit Type A (previously no waiting period) although there's still no waiting period for Family Benefit Type B.

Edited by Ken

20 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Don't quote me.

But I believe under the partners visa, if you can show very strong links, children etc, then you can go straight to permanent residence. I remember researching it a few years ago. If that was the case, he may get it.

But you aren't talking huge sums with jobseekers anyway. If you are that short of money, can you not delay and save? Or stay with family?

38 minutes ago, newjez said:

Don't quote me.

But I believe under the partners visa, if you can show very strong links, children etc, then you can go straight to permanent residence. I remember researching it a few years ago. If that was the case, he may get it.

Nearly correct.

If they have been married/de facto for 3 years, or 2 years if there are children from the relationship, then PR is granted straight off, no need for the 309 first.

39 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Nearly correct.

If they have been married/de facto for 3 years, or 2 years if there are children from the relationship, then PR is granted straight off, no need for the 309 first.

The residency rules for Centrelink apply to people with PR. It's citizens that are exempted. Most temporary residents are not entitled to benefits at all.