What visa?

Onourway

Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light... my husband, two young daughters and I are looking to emigrate. My husband is a chef. Is it possible for a family member to sponsor us (uncle loved there for 30 years and is a citizen, sister has lived there 4 years and just been granted PR. Neither is same lime of work though.) Or is it better to look for a state sponsorship/work sponsor?

Many thanks!

No, your family can't sponsor you.    

If you find an employer sponsor, it'll be for a temporary visa only, for 2 or 4 years and then you go home.  Sometimes it's possible to apply for a permanent visa after you've completed the temporary contract, but that's becoming harder and harder to achieve. I  certainly wouldn't recommend attempting that route with young children, because it becomes very expensive, and disruptive to your children's education, if it doesn't work out.

You can apply for a 189 Skilled Visa but you'll need to check whether your husband can get enough points.  The minimum is 65 to be eligible, but that's probably not enough to get a visa.  Immigration picks applicants with the highest points first.  So let's say your husband can only get 65 points.  If there are applications in the queue with 70 points, they'll get accepted first.  And as new applications are getting added to the queue every day, new applicants with 70 points will keep leapfrogging him and he'll never get anywhere.  So working out your points is important as it hugely affects your chances of getting a visa. 

State sponsorship is a possibility but that doesn't mean they offer you a job, or pay your expenses.  It just means you promise to work in that state for several years.  Usually, you don't need as many points to get a state-sponsored visa and that's the only attraction.   

Your best bet would be to consult a MARA registered agent as the whole process is pretty complicated these days.

Yes, your family can sponsor you. 

However the visa they can sponsor you on is a 489 family-sponsored visa which is a 4-year visa.  They and you must live in a designated area (essentially not Brisbane, Sydney, Newcastle or Wollongong.  After you've lived in a designated area for 2 years and worked full time in a designated area for 1 year, you can then apply for a 887 permanent visa.  There are a very low number of invitations for this visa so getting invited may be quite a challenge.

Employer sponsorship is possible if you find one willing and able to do so, but there are challenges (time-consuming, expensive and no guarantee the employer can/will sponsor a permanent visa down the track).  State sponsorship is also possible but again there are hurdles getting invited.

If your husband can qualify for a 189 visa, that's probably the best option since it offers PR from the start and no conditions attached on where you live, who you work for or whether you work at all.

A registered migration agent would be able to give a good assessment of your options and suggest the strategy that offers best likelihood of success.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

State sponsorship is a possibility but that doesn't mean they offer you a job, or pay your expenses.  It just means you promise to work in that state for several years.  Usually, you don't need as many points to get a state-sponsored visa and that's the only attraction.   

I don't want to be knit picking but I wan't to add / clarify the above.

1. You have to both work and live in the sponsored state. So you can't live near a boarder in one state and hop over to work in another. If you go for a 489 visa you must live and work in a specified region. (some states such as South Australia this is actually the whole state). You can move on from a 489 and apply for a 887 after 2 years of living and 1 year of working in the specified region. The 887 doesn't have the resections of living in a specified region.

2. The state sponsored visas are not open to people with reduced points as such. But if a state agrees to sponsor, you will get additional points (10 for 489 & 5 for 190)

This is a list of specified regions that apply to the 489 visa - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/regional-postcodes

Note: This is all subject to change - as is anything with visas.

Edited by JetBlast

14 hours ago, Onourway said:

Thank you for the feedback/advice.

It seems the best way to proceed, is to look to apply for a 189 visa then.

Could anyone recommend a good migration agent? I don't really want to go it alone!

Any of the agents who regularly contribute to the forum could be recommended.