Skilled 175 or 457 ? confused

Que Sera Sera

Hi all you clever poeple on PIO. Our agent has advised that our best course of action would be to apply for the skilled 175 visa for my Husband who is a CNC Machinist/Toolmaker but I have seen advertised on Seek.com a position on the Sunshine Coast that is offering a 457 visa and they have said that they would be able to have my Husband there in 6 weeks. Why would the 175 visa be our best option then? and if we went for the 457 how does that affect me as his wife and our children?:huh:Please can someone enlighten me as it does not take much to confuse me!:twitcy:

Ok the 457 visa is a sponsor visa, so they will sponsor you to go out there to work with them. This visa I believe does not give your PR whereas a 175 visa does. You would probably to tied into working for the company for a period of say 2 years on the 457 visa, you could go all the way to Australia and have to return back here after the period of time specified. Although I have not heard of people doing so.

The 175 Visa gives you more options, you can go anywhere in Australia you like. You can stay forever if you want to. You are entitled to schooling and some help I believe with your first home purchase I think say $7,000.00.

It is a better option to go on a 175 visa (safer), but the sponsorship is still a way to get there. 175 visa can be costly to you to get in the first place whereas a 457 visa the company that sponsor you will probably cover the costs.

I am sure someone else will give advantages/disadvantages

All I can think of at the moment as just woke up lol

Good Luck

Guest Tracey from Braintree

Hi Catherine,

The 175 visa is a permanent residency visa. This means you can live/work wherever you like. Kids can go to school for free and there are many other benefits etc. The 457 (I am no expert) is a temporary working visa. Your OH would have to stay in the job that he takes to get the 457. You would not get the benefits I mentioned with the 175. You then would have to apply for a PR visa later on while in OZ. It depends on how quick you want to go. A 175 can take 9 months or more.

Look at the DIAC website for more info on the visa types.

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Tracey.

Archived