Waiting for 887, want to visit a sick relative

Cazwilkins

Hey all,

Of course I will be checking the information myself too and seeking advice from immigration but just wondering if anyone else has been through what I'm going through and if the process is easy or what hoops I will need to jump through.

I applied for an 887 visa in November and found out an hour ago that my Grandad is very sick in hospital (he has a tumour on his brain, likely to be secondary cancer). At the moment we don't have answers and don't know if he is going to be treatable or whether he will be given a certain length of time to live etc. 

Now I know that I need to fill out paper work to request permission to leave Australia whilst my 887 is pending. How easy is this to complete? What are the steps? How quickly do they grant permission? Do I ask permission first before I book the flights and give them an estimate of the time I will depart and arrive back? What is the likelihood of my visit to the UK having a negative impact on my application if I go back to the UK for a week to visit him?

Head all over the place at the moment especially the fact I found out I am pregnant a few weeks ago but that is looking like it is going to be non viable. Can this chick catch a break!

1 hour ago, MaggieMay24 said:

What visa do you hold at the moment?  As long as your current visa has travel rights, you simply follow the conditions on your current visa.  If you're on a BVA, then you need to apply for a BVB in order to re-enter Australia.

I am on a 489 visa which allows me to leave the country and return. However my 887 application has been submitted. My 489 visa expires in Jan 2020 so will be on a BVA I assume from Jan 2020 until residency is / isn't granted

Edited by Cazwilkins