Mrs

Toni&Paddy

Hi my names Toni, I am new to this chat.  I’m looking for any advise, me my husband and 3 children aged 9, 7 and 5 have just returned from visiting family in Perth.  I have my brother, his wife and daughter, my cousin, husband and children also a auntie and her extended family who are all Australian Citizens.  We would love to go back there to live and bring our children up there as it’s an amazing country.  Unfortunately we don’t have skilled jobs off the list.  I work as a health care assistant in a hospital and my husband a train guard. We have lots of family support over there, does anybody have any help, tips or  advise to offer on what we could do next?  Thanks xx

Retrain into something that might one day be on a skilled list - but something that you really really want to do for the rest of your days just in case that occupation falls off the list. Failing that, just enjoy  the lovely long holidays you get in UK and go for visits. 

Don't worry if it doesn't happen though, it's just another first world country.

I am afraid at the moment you don't qualify for a visa as you need an occupation on the skilled occupation lists. Having family there doesn't really help. 

You retrain, but, you would need to do it knowing that any occupation you retrain into might no longer be eligible by the time you are eligible. Also, you would likely be facing issues with the age cut off as it would take several years to retrain, but the age cut off is 45 and as approaching it, it gets harder to get enough points. Most occupations also require several years post qualification experience. 

I am afraid at the moment you don't qualify for a visa as you need an occupation on the skilled occupation lists. Having family there doesn't really help. 
You retrain, but, you would need to do it knowing that any occupation you retrain into might no longer be eligible by the time you are eligible. Also, you would likely be facing issues with the age cut off as it would take several years to retrain, but the age cut off is 45 and as approaching it, it gets harder to get enough points. Most occupations also require several years post qualification experience. 

Nowhere in the OPs initial post did she mentioned their ages

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Nowhere in the OPs initial post did she mentioned their ages

It is a general comment to point out that retraining will take time. That they need to be aware if considering retraining, that age can have an effect on eligibility either via points or cut off. 

I felt like the waiting time is all you can do (wait for any opportunity) since what the rest had mentioned about retraining. It seemed like a high risk to take if what you had retrained to doesn't show in the skill list after years later. There are just too many variables that can affect the strategies you wanna take to plan for something too far in the future. 

1 hour ago, Toni&Paddy said:

Thanks for your messages, think we going to contact an agent to see if there’s any other options for us, the visas are so complicated arnt they.  We just want to give our kids the best we can and we feel the Australian life style is so much better than Liverpool.  

There are some well regarded agents that post on this forum. Always good to speak to an expert. Agree with everyone else though, from what you’ve put unfortunately it doesnt look like you’ll be able to get a visa.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Toni&Paddy said:

Thanks for your messages, think we going to contact an agent to see if there’s any other options for us, the visas are so complicated arnt they.  We just want to give our kids the best we can and we feel the Australian life style is so much better than Liverpool.  

Be prepared for a long road. 

One of you will have to retrain in a skill that's on the list, which will take two or three years (longer if you do it part-time).  Then he/she will have to work in that job for two or three years to get experience (the qualification alone isn't enough).   Then you will have to apply for the visa and wait for it to be processed - another year or so.

And throughout all that time, there's always the chance that the occupation will be taken off the list, or the age cut-off will be lowered, or the points threshold will be increased - and after all that work, you won't qualify for a visa at all.   Don't think it's just a "slim" chance and the odds are in your favour - Australia isn't desperate for migrants like it used to be, so they're reducing the occupation list all the time.  Who'd have thought, for instance, that they're talking about removing nurses or accountants from the list?  

That's why we say - if you're going to try it, choose an occupation you'll be happy working at in the UK, because otherwise you could find you've wasted a lot of money for nothing.

Also, it would be worth sitting down and working out what it will all cost you.  Work out what it'll cost you to retrain - not just the cost of the course but the loss of income because one of you is at school.   Then add at least 30,000 for the migration process itself - I know that sounds like a lot, but you've got to cover agent fees, visa fees, air fares, temp accommodation, shipping, setting up home, car, living expenses while you look for work, and more.    Once you've worked out that figure, ask yourself - could I get a better quality of life, faster,  if I used that same money to move to a better part of the UK? 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1