Can I lodge a 189 application if I hold a 489?

annagilda

A very random question here and a few people will be asking why I'm sure.

I am currently living in Tasmania with a 489 visa, which I have held for about 10 months. I would therefore need to wait another 14 months until I can lodge the application to get PR.

During that time, I now have increased points for an independent 189 visa, which would allow me PR in a much shorter period. I now score 70 points because I've got a little bit older and meet extra requirements for Australian work experience.

I'd really like the opportunity to get PR and make things a bit more stable. I've been in Australia for almost 3 years now, I'd really like to look at purchasing a house, solidify my Medicare and advance my chance of citizenship down the track. My parent's are getting older and I realise that this may speed things up by a good 18 months or so, by looking at the timelines for the different associated visas.

I realise I would need to pay the visa fees again and undertake a new medical etc... but on balance, I think it might be worthwhile. Can anyone see any obvious flaws in the plan? For what it's worth, I am loving living in Tasmania and have no plans to leave before my 2 year period, regardless of how this pans out, I'd just really like the security of PR.

Thanks a million. 🙂

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yes you can, but I don't really see the point. Processing times and eoi waits have blown out and with 70 points, if you were to lodge an eoi today you could easily be looking at not getting PR until you would via the 489 anyway. 

Thanks Very Stormy, 

i had a quick quick look today, and the processing times for the 189 are about 5 months for 75% of applications. I’m not sure how long I’d have to wait for the Eoi though. I’ve heard of the 489 to PR route taking 2 years, which with the additional year I need to wait, would be 3 in total. 

Maybe its it’s not worth it and I should just hold on. It’ll certainly be cheaper. 

With 70 points, depending on occupation, you could have a long wait for an invite. 70 is the current minimum to get an invite at all.

You can get a mortgage on a 489 and the time on a 489 counts towards your citizenship. You only will need one year as PR to get. 

• Thanks 1