Hi!

Need help URGENTLY!!! I'm an international student graduating this year July 2019. I'm looking to get the 485 TR visa, followed by the 186 employer-nominated visa. I need advice on the Australian Study Requirement. I understand the ASR requires 2 years/92 weeks of study, and I'm unclear even after several calls to the DHA. Here's my case:

- The 3-year course I am doing is 156 weeks of study (based on CRICOS).

- I transferred to Australia midway through, so instead of 3 years I spend 2 years here. So 2/3 years x 156 weeks = 104 weeks. 

- A full 2-years/104 weeks consists of 4 semesters, each semester with 4 units = 16 units (full 3 years/156 weeks would = 24 units). So 16/24 units x 156 weeks = 104 weeks. Now the thing is, I did 13 units instead of 16 units. And 13/24 units x 156 weeks = 84 weeks which is under the 92 week requirement. I would need to do 2 more units to satisfy the ASR (15/24 units x 156 weeks = 97.5 weeks). 

I eventually concluded with some options I'm exploring:

Option 1- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance I can apply for exceptions (due to reasons below)? On one call to the DHA, I was advised to submit my visa 485 application with an agent and cite my case, and that the case officer may exempt from the ASR.

Things to note: 1) I will be completing my degree July 2019. Adding 2 units would be absolutely pointless in my degree. It just doesn't seem to make much sense, costing so much time and money.

Option 2- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance there is a different visa route I could take does not require the ASR? I am interning with an employer as an accountant who's looking to take me on full time and most likely sponsor my visa. On one call to the DHA, I was told about TR visa 482 (that did not require ASR) and recommended to go through visa 482 and then 186 for a ASR-free employer-nominated route. But upon reading online, it seems like visa 482 requires 2 years prior working experience (which I may need some clarification on how the visa works and if I may be eligible!)

Option 3- I do the 2 units because I have no better alternatives. Perhaps I can do a professional year? At least I would gain 5 points while working to meet the ASR. Exploring study options that may be more useful or cheaper as well, such as taking 2 easy-pass units up in a low-cost registered institution.

Really need some advice as DHA calls have been pretty contradicting and I'm really confused! Please let me know if there are other options I could explore.

25 minutes ago, Euwyn Goh said:

Hi!

Need help URGENTLY!!! I'm an international student graduating this year July 2019. I'm looking to get the 485 TR visa, followed by the 186 employer-nominated visa. I need advice on the Australian Study Requirement. I understand the ASR requires 2 years/92 weeks of study, and I'm unclear even after several calls to the DHA. Here's my case:

- I transferred to Australia midway through, so instead of 3 years I spend 2 years here. So 2/3 years x 156 weeks = 104 weeks. 

- A full 2-years/104 weeks consists of 4 semesters, each semester with 4 units = 16 units (full 3 years/156 weeks would = 24 units). So 16/24 units x 156 weeks = 104 weeks. Now the thing is, I did 13 units instead of 16 units. And 13/24 units x 156 weeks = 84 weeks which is under the 92 week requirement. I would need to do 2 more units to satisfy the ASR (15/24 units x 156 weeks = 97.5 weeks). 

Option 1- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance I can apply for exceptions (due to reasons below)? On one call to the DHA, I was advised to submit my visa 485 application with an agent and cite my case, and that the case officer may exempt from the ASR.

Things to note: 1) I will be completing my degree July 2019. Adding 2 units would be absolutely pointless in my degree. It just doesn't seem to make much sense, costing so much time and money.

Option 2- IF I don't fulfil the ASR and I need to do 2 more units? Is there a chance there is a different visa route I could take does not require the ASR? I am interning with an employer as an accountant who's looking to take me on full time and most likely sponsor my visa. On one call to the DHA, I was told about TR visa 482 (that did not require ASR) and recommended to go through visa 482 and then 186 for a ASR-free employer-nominated route. But upon reading online, it seems like visa 482 requires 2 years prior working experience (which I may need some clarification on how the visa works and if I may be eligible!)

Option 3- I do the 2 units because I have no better alternatives. Perhaps I can do a professional year? At least I would gain 5 points while working to meet the ASR. Exploring study options that may be more useful or cheaper as well, such as taking 2 easy-pass units up in a low-cost registered institution.

Really need some advice as DHA calls have been pretty contradicting and I'm really confused! Please let me know if there are other options I could explore.

Hey mate, Your best option is to do 2 more units. I am unsure if your university let you do that though. As i remember my university state out refused. (i wanted to do double major and i have to cancel my credit in order to do that)

Thanks for that man, appreciate your advice. I'm doing just 2 units this sem so I have space for 2 more dummy units. Thinking of revoking some credit-exempted electives and doing 2 new ones. Will be a bit tough though, doing 4 units while interning.

5 minutes ago, garrychandi said:

Hey mate, Your best option is to do 2 more units. I am unsure if your university let you do that though. As i remember my university state out refused. (i wanted to do double major and i have to cancel my credit in order to do that)

Thanks for that man, appreciate your advice. I'm doing just 2 units this sem so I have space for 2 more dummy units. Thinking of revoking some credit-exempted electives and doing 2 new ones. Will be a bit tough though, doing 4 units while interning.

Just a comment on your overall plan. First, getting an employer these days wanting to sponsor a 186 is far from easy. Second, it requires a skills assessment and the majority of occupations this requires at least a couple of years of post qualification experience. Note the "post qualification" experience. Experience gained while studying doesn't count. 

On 08/03/2019 at 20:32, Euwyn Goh said:

Hi!

Your situation is complex and you should seek professional advice. Much of the advice quoted above is incorrect and your long term visa plans appear critically floored.

A few points to consider:

• Be careful obtaining advice from the Immigration helpline, they are not liable if information given is incorrect;

• There is no such thing as obtaining an exemption from the ASR for the 485 visa. In fact, it is one of the main requirements;

• 482 requires 2 years of full time, skilled, employment experience;

• 186 DE, requires 3 years of full time, skilled, employment experience;
  • Like 1