Three snakes in three days

Metoo

23 hours ago, Toots said:

Here is a very recent pic of one of our local snake catchers with a tiger snake found in a back yard.  *shudder*

snake catcher.jpg I don’t like the look of that one bit.  My brother had a few garter snakes when we were kids and they were little and pretty.  This one in the picture is not. @Toots, shudder for sure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Metoo said:

That snake has a very wide neck and a big head, oh my gosh.

Tiger snakes flatten their head like that when they feel threatened.  I would hate to be that close to it -  they are the world's 4th most venomous snake IIRC 😱.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Skani said:

Tiger snakes flatten their head like that when they feel threatened.  I would hate to be that close to it -  they are the world's 4th most venomous snake IIRC 😱.  

Had many, many encounters with snakes over the years, from putting snakes back into the “bush” after they fell in a trench we made, (Main Roads Dept, WA, Broome 1964) Did that job for 3 weeks, most in one day was 17.
Fishing the Beardy Waters in Glen Innes, NSW came across 11 tiger  snakes in one morning, most of them quite lethargic and warming up in the sun. 
Here, in Ball Bay, Qld, we used to get about 3 tree snakes a week in the allamanda vine along the house, until the National Parks people decided to burn off in the NP behind our garden, rarely see any, now.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 year later...
On 10/02/2021 at 08:00, Bobj said:

Fishing the Beardy Waters in Glen Innes, NSW came across 11 tiger  snakes in one morning, most of them quite lethargic and warming up in the sun.

Must be a lot of snakes there. The town is home to about 6,000 residents, and have a number of snake removal services. I might strike that off my retirement list.

1 hour ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Must be a lot of snakes there. The town is home to about 6,000 residents, and have a number of snake removal services. I might strike that off my retirement list.

@BeachBabe2022

Lived there for 22 years but only saw snakes in the Beardy Waters valley and the headwaters of the Macintyre River, which were red bellied black snakes. I don't remember seeing any in the town.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Tootsie said:

Sadly that is no longer true.

Yes a 79 year old man died a couple  of years ago after being bitten by a tiger snake.  He was herding his sheep and it's thought he stumbled and fell on the snake.  Horrible.  I know a man who was also bitten by a tiger snake when he was moving stuff around in his garden.  He was OK after being helicoptered to hospital in Hobart.  I spoke to him a couple of weeks after he was bitten and he still felt "not the best" but he's fine now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Up date, we haven't seen Brian in quite some time. This was his last sighting. As you can see Brian grew to be some length and if you look carefully you can see he had eaten recently by the bulges in his body.

A couple of hours after I took this photo Brian went over the fence into the neighbours garden.

The neighbour came outside to find poor Brian all tangled up in his golf net.  Neighbour was kind enough to spend an hour cutting him free (he was well tangled)

Anyway, I have not seen Brian since that day (2 years ago)

I still keep an eye out for him but i think he's gone.

Anyway, what prompted me to post today was the lates wildlife interaction that happened just now.

So, I thought I was quite relaxed now about beasties and snakes but this just gave me the heeby geebys.

I was relaxing on the couch with my book and a massive spider landed on my bear shoulder. It had descended from the ceiling on its web.  In my panic, I brushed it off and accidentally brushed its web with my toe so now it was attached to my foot by a thread. As I tried to get away, it followed me. 

Goodness me, there was some squealing and nifty foot work I can tell you.

Give me a snake any day

IMG_4819.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have an extreme phobia about snakes. I saw one in Perth, it was coiled up on sand on the verge. I never expected to see any near a pavement. I never set foot on any beaches because I know they lurk in the dunes but to see one in the street was shocking. I had dreams of them getting into the house. I put towels under the doors and never opened any windows. I thought they might get in through the wall mounted air conditioner so I had to constantly check it. My anxiety levels were through the roof when I was living in Australia.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ukbound said:

I have an extreme phobia about snakes. I saw one in Perth, it was coiled up on sand on the verge. I never expected to see any near a pavement. I never set foot on any beaches because I know they lurk in the dunes but to see one in the street was shocking. I had dreams of them getting into the house. I put towels under the doors and never opened any windows. I thought they might get in through the wall mounted air conditioner so I had to constantly check it. My anxiety levels were through the roof when I was living in Australia.  

Maybe New Zealand would have been a better destination for you. I can't imagine living like that. I made sure all my kids handled snakes when they were young. They have a healthy respect for them, but no fear.

I saw a few in Perth. On occasion when walking from a night out in Scarborough on those red beach paths back to my mates house in Trigg.

And we saw a big dugite close to where they were building our house north. When it saw us it slithered down the street into a portaloo on one of the other houses being built. I left a note on the door for the workers just letting them know the loo might be occupied. 😛

6 hours ago, ukbound said:

I also have a snake phobia.  So far though, in my 43 years in Australia I've not had a bad experience with them.  I do a lot of walking through bush and forests and even though I know they are around they seem to keep out of the way.  I do remember seeing them in the sand dunes near Perth (WA) and I've come across them sunning themselves in other places but as long as you don't bother them, they won't bother you. 

I’ve seen 3 in our garden on the Sunshine Coast in 21 years, all harmless tree snakes acc to my non expert husband 😂 Buderim seems to have more than we do. My son has had many more in North Brisbane, mainly pythons, but his cat has also bought a few suspect ones in through the cat flap. 
Whatever you do don’t watch Sunshine Coast snake catchers, will put you off for life 🐍 🐍 !

• Like 1

We had one under the fridge once.  It had been a warm humid night (unusual here in Hobart) around Christmas time and i groggily walked to the kitchen after getting up, saw a head poking out from under the fridge and thought...gee, that's a rather large lizard.  Then I realised it didn't have any feet.  We boxed in  the base of the  fridge and called Reptile Rescue.  It turned out to be a tiger snake - one of the most venomous - but thankfully not very large, about 18 inches.  The lovely Rescue man said it had "chew marks" on its neck - so must have been brought in by one of our cats.  We'd previously built a cat proof fence around our back yard to keep the cats in and an afterthought was that it would keep snakes out.  However I discovered a few places where it may have got through and blocked all those.

Our Rescue man took a while to arrive as he was diverted to another suburb for another snake on his way to us  and he'd previously been called out at 3 am that day to a snake under someone's stove at Seven Mile Beach, 25 km away.  Fortunately snakes  disappear during the colder months in Tasmania so they are not a problem year round.