835 Remaining Relative Visa

Hi everyone.

I've been living in Australia for about 7.5 years on student and working visas and I'd like to become a permanent resident.

I'm currently an Estonian citizen. My mother and sister are both Australian residents and only my father lives in Europe but he lost his legal parental rights over my sister and I many years ago, we have the paperwork to show it.

Do any of you guys have any idea if the Australian government would consider my father to be a direct relative living overseas, given that he has lost his parental rights and we haven't spoken in almost 10 years. (I don't have any other direct relatives to consider)
The requirements of the 835 Remaining Relative Visa don't really refer to this situation.

Any information or advice that you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Check with a registered migration agent regarding your biological father. Did someone else adopt you as their son? My wife’s father remarried a few years before he passed away and some people (even some migration agents) said they his new wife was a relative. Eventually found out that Australian law did not recognise her as a relative of my wife and we could apply for the LRR visa. I’m sure you are aware of the long wait for this visa and the limits on working in Australia.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, ozuk said:

It's just over 50 years I think. I applied for the 835 visa also. Once I'm 120 years old I'll get the visa (if approved) so I can register for Medicare. 

You've already been told that as a former UK resident, you're already eligible for Medicare.  Did you see my reply on the other thread?