Parent Visa help

Has anyone used a parents visa to get to Australia. If so what type, how much did it cost and how difficult was it to get. We lived in Perth for over 4 years on a 457 visa but were unable to get PR as company lost the contract just as we were qualified to apply. One of our sons now has PR with another hoping to apply once he has completed his degree & trade. We are unsure if we would qualify for any category of parents visa and also if/when such a visa would qualify for resident status. The reason for this 2nd question is I still have AUD 100,000 in Aussie Super' now taken over by the ATO. If I access it as a non resident I believe it is taxed at 51% but if I could access as a resident it would go someway to paying the visa. Trying to get info' out of the ATO is as easy as dealing with migration !!

You are right, it's never a good idea to ask the ATO or the Immigration Dept because in both, you end up talking to some call centre person who is just reading off a screen. Ask them anything complicated and you're liable to get the wrong advice.  

Your best bet would be to consult a migration agent about your eligibility for a parent visa.  There are several good agents on these forums and most of them will give you a free initial consultation, which will answer your main question. Then you'll really know where you stand.

As for the superannuation - I don't think the tax is as bad as 51% but it is hefty.  

To qualify you have to pass the balance of family test. This means you need to have at least 50% of your children living in Australia as permanent residents. The wait time for the visa if applying now is in excess of 7 years. It gives you PR immediately on getting it. 

4 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Hi Steve.  

I'm heading to the UK tomorrow - you are very welcome to call the Go Matilda Visas office in Southampton when I am there later this week for a freebie chat about a parent visa strategy.

Best regards.

You might just catch some of the lovely weather we are having! Or arrive in time for the storms that are following!