Citizenship criteria

Indianinoz

Hello,

Say someone landed in Australia on 1st Jan 2016 on a Permanent Residency 189 visa. When can the person apply for citizenship? Am I right citizenship can be applied on 1st Jan 2020 provided the person completes at least 3 years of stay in Australia amongst those 4 years and provided last 9 months were in Australia? Is there a way to do this sooner? What if you have a job offer or a written contract by an Aussie employer allowing you to work from overseas?

Also, after application of citizenship but before availing the same, is the person allowed to go overseas for some work for a long period? Will this hamper citizenship in any way?

First, yes, your time frame is correct.

There are some exemptions for the time out of Australia, but these are very limited and mainly to specific industries including resources and marine occupations.

Yes, you can travel once the application is in. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

First, yes, your time frame is correct.

There are some exemptions for the time out of Australia, but these are very limited and mainly to specific industries including resources and marine occupations.

Yes, you can travel once the application is in. 

Thanks! Say the applicant lodged for citizenship on 1st Jan 2020. If he stays out of Australia say for 3 years from this date, are you sure there are no issues with citizenship? Will he/she be asked to prove his connection to Australia? What about the citizenship exam and ceremony? The applicant eventually wishes to return to Australia permanently, but will be out for 3 years soon after application of citizenship for a particular reason.

You would need to be in Australia for the test and the ceremony. 

This is sort of how it was for me. I was working fifo internationally, so, was spending 6 weeks in Africa, 3 weeks home. This continued after lodging, but I was home for the test and ceremony. 

However, I am aware of people being able to at least have the ceremony outside of Australia, but, I don't know the criteria or if it is still allowed, so would check with an agent. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

You would need to be in Australia for the test and the ceremony. 

This is sort of how it was for me. I was working fifo internationally, so, was spending 6 weeks in Africa, 3 weeks home. This continued after lodging, but I was home for the test and ceremony. 

However, I am aware of people being able to at least have the ceremony outside of Australia, but, I don't know the criteria or if it is still allowed, so would check with an agent. 

Thanks for the reply! If the applicant does not have a permanent home in Australia after application for about 3 years, do you think this could be an issue? Like you at least would come home for 3 weeks every 9 weeks. But what I'm asking is that the applicant will be here till say Jan 2020 and then not have a home in Australia for 3 years. He/she is willing to be in Australia to attend the test and ceremony and may come for a brief visit other than that, but that is about it. Is this alright?