65 points for 190 any point? /489

Squiggle

Hi,

After some advice/perspective if that's ok...

After debating for ages whether to apply for a 489 weve found out you need a job offer....why the ma didnt tell us this upfront I dont know it may have saved us lots of anguish and cash! But were here now weve got the English test done and the acs skills assessment.

The job were applying under is 263111 and currently we have 60 points without state nomination/sponsorship.  I know it's a tough question but do people in this field find offers of employment prior to Visa?

Many thanks for reading any insight gratefully received...

Squiggle xx

Edited by Squiggle
Forgot to add Visa number

11 minutes ago, Squiggle said:

Hi,

After some advice/perspective if that's ok...

After debating for ages whether to apply for a 489 weve found out you need a job offer....why the ma didnt tell us this upfront I dont know it may have saved us lots of anguish and cash! But were here now weve got the English test done and the acs skills assessment.

The job were applying under is 263111 and currently we have 60 points without state nomination/sponsorship.  I know it's a tough question but do people in this field find offers of employment prior to Visa?

Many thanks for reading any insight gratefully received...

Squiggle xx

Hi Squiggle.

Do you definitely mean 489, as you don't need a job offer for that visa?

You do need an invitation from a sponsoring state or territory, though, same as a 190. The 489 and 190 have similarities but the 190 is a permanent visa, whereas the 489 is provisional, so you'd still have to apply for a permanent visa down the line. On the flip side, you get 5 points for a 190 but 10 points for a 489. Neither of these visa require a job offer.

Having a job ready for you would be nice, but it wouldn't stop you getting the visa if you didn't have a job offer. My wife has applied for a 489 and we're waiting for the visa now after being sponsored by SA, but we don't have jobs lined up.

I'd just take a look at the different states and territories and if the 263111 is on any of their lists. It's on the MLTSSL, which is a plus!

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for replying and sorry my heads all over the place today! We were going for 190 & 489 Victoria but when paperwork came through it states you need a written job offer to apply for the 489 to Victoria. So only option is 190 as spoken to a lot of agencies that all say call when you have a Visa...

I dont think we have enough points for sa.

7 hours ago, Squiggle said:

After debating for ages whether to apply for a 489 weve found out you need a job offer....why the ma didnt tell us this upfront I dont know it may have saved us lots of anguish and cash! ...

I hope you rang up the MA and gave him a blistering earful!   

Finding a job before you arrive is very, very difficult.  After all, how many employers are willing to offer someone a job, then wait up to a year for them to turn up for work?  

Requiring a job offer for a 190 or 489 is sometimes an additional requirement that states use with sponsorship. Basically they don’t really expect someone to get a job offer before applying BUT if an employer can not get anyone local it means they can recruit from overseas on this visa (simpler and cheaper for the employer than employer sponsorship). 

So reading between the lines it means there isn’t a desperate shortage for that job but in some rural areas there might be an opening. 

TBH I think it is a good thing, too many people apply thinking if it is on the list then there will be lots of jobs. This really is not the case and for the regional visa even more so.

Maybe the conditions for that occupations changed since you started the process, it happens. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I hope you rang up the MA and gave him a blistering earful!   

Finding a job before you arrive is very, very difficult.  After all, how many employers are willing to offer someone a job, then wait up to a year for them to turn up for work?  

Not yet suspect we will do that today!